The Initialpage123.com redirect is a new threat that is being spread across the Internet using a multitude of distribution methods. There is no information about the criminal collective behind it. As there are several reports about it being spread across the Internet, we presume that several of the most popular methods are being used. They include the coordination of phishing email messages that are designed to appear like a notification that has been sent in by a well-known service or company. Through interaction with the included content or any file attachments the redirect files can be delivered to the target computers.
The other popular mechanism is to create certain malware sites that are hosted on domains that have similar sounding domain names to popular Internet portals. Other methods include the inclusion of the necessary code into payload carriers such as infected documents and application installers. These files can be spread on file sharing networks and the redirect can be placed in browser hijackers — they are plugins which are made compatible with the most popular web browsers. They are widely uploaded to the relevant repositories using fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their descriptions will promise various feature or performance enhancements in order to entice the users into installing them.
As soon as the Initialpage123.com redirect is installed on the victim’s machine it will immediately launch its built-in behavior pattern. In most cases this includes the changing of the settings of the affected browsers in order to always redirect to the given page, the list includes the default home page, search engine and new tabs page. As soon as the page is visited numerous tracking cookies which will monitor the user interactions with the site and report back the information to the hackers. Depending on specific conditions the page can redirect the users to various malware sites, any encounter with them can lead to any of the following scenarios:
- Intrusive Ads — The site can be programmed to deliver intrusive ads across all popular formats: banners, pop-ups, text links and images. For every single display or interaction with them a small income will be generated for the operators.
- Data Harvesting — The engine can be used to start a separate module that is used to extract information that can both reveal the identity of the users and also assign a special ID to the individual machines. The bulk of the collected data can then be used to carry out crimes such as financial abuse and identity theft.
- Additional Malware Delivery — In most of the cases the sites and the hijacker scripts themselves can lead to infection with other threats. Popular cases includes the spread of Trojan horse infections which allows the operators to take over control of the machines and steal their files. Another alternative is the execution of cryptocurrency miners which will “mine” digital currency thus placing a heavy toll on the system’s performance. Advanced hijackers can also deliver ransomware that will encrypt user data.
- Sites Redirect — The main goal of the page is to redirect the victims to a certain hacker-controlled page. This can be exploited by offering such “redirect services” on the dark underground markets thus essentially providing traffic to the clients addresses from infected computers.
As the sites can be dynamically changed at every given time the behavior can change. This is why infections like this one should be removed as soon as possible.
|Short Description||Initialpage123.com is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Initialpage123.com redirect |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Initialpage123.com redirect.|
Initialpage123.com – HOW Did I Get It
The Initialpage123.com redirect is a common web infection which is commonly found across Internet browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins which are made compatible with the most popular software. Another possible source of infections is the installation of PUPs which are potentially unwanted software. They are designed to appear as legitimate software however upon running them the redirect files will be placed in the victim’s computer and started.
Beware of phishing emails that may pose as legitimate services and attempt to coerce the victims into interacting with them which will eventually lead to a redirect installation.
Such redirects can be spread via malicious sites that aim to persuade the visitors into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate and safe web page. They are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and may include forged or stolen security certificates.
Various payload delivery methods can be used to spread the Initialpage123.com redirect to the intended victims. There are two main types:
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the necessary scrips that will lead to the infection in the most common document file types: presentations, spreadsheets, text documents and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will ask for permissions to run them. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to view the contents of the files.
- Malware Software Bundles — The criminals behind the Initialpage123.com redirect can place the installation code in application installers of popular software. They are spread using various methods and are very difficult to detect.
The redirect related files can be spread via file sharing networks of which BitTorrent is currently the most popular one. Another frequently used method is the integration of the relevant code into browser hijackers which are malicious extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are posted with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to coerce the visitors into downloading and installing them.
Initialpage123.com – What Does It DO
The Initialpage123.com is a classic browser-based redirect which will redirect the victims to this hacker-controlled page every time the web browser is run. This can lead to dangerous behavior as soon as the users start to interact with the site:
- Tracking of their Internet activity
- Advertising content such as pop-ups, banners, text links and etc
- Deployment of other malicious infections: Trojans, ransomware and etc
Such redirects are very useful for launching cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available hardware resources in order to generate cryptocurrency for the hackers.
One of the most dangerous effects of having this redirect active is that it can automatically track the users and their web activity. Having access to the web browser means that the active malware will be able to hijack all stored data within: cookies, history, bookmarks, settings and even stored account credentials. All hijacked data will be automatically uploaded to the servers operated by the hackers.
How to REMOVE Initialpage123.com
The removal of Initialpage123.com may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of Initialpage123.com are fully gone from your PC.