Some users have complained that they have been repeatedly displayed an Important message pop-up window claiming that their PCs have been infected. The Important Message window is not to be trusted as it is a part of a fake tech support campaign. The potentially unwanted application responsible for the Important Message pop-up is likely to have entered the system through a bundled download. Another option is the execution of a fake software update.
Users should not forget that valid software updates do not come in the form of pop-up windows, e-mails, etc. They are executed by development and security themes without the need of the user’s interaction.
Important Message Pop-Up Description and Distribution Path
- The display of the message is probably triggered by an ad-supported extension. Such third party browser-targeted software is usually written to be compatible with widely used browsers (Explorer, Firefox, Chrome). Once installed, the PUP behind Important Message Pop-Up may alter both the browser and the system settings so that manual removal is difficult for non-expert users.
- A popular distribution technique for software of the kind is bundling. Bundling is mostly used to cover financial losses and to monetize various platforms. Simply avoid bundling by systematically opting for the advanced software installer to uncheck unwanted applications.
- Important Message pop-up may try to lure users into calling a fake tech support line. Beware that calling the number will not only charge the user a solid amount of money, but will endanger the user’s safety. Remote access may be granted to the cyber crooks behind the scheme to leave a backdoor for Trojans and spyware.
Important Message Pop-Up Removal Options
Users are advised to run a full system scan via a powerful anti-spyware solution. Once installed, such a tool will detect all threats on a PC and will further protect it against malware.
Spy Hunter scanner will only detect the threat. If you want the threat to be automatically removed, you need to purchase the full version of the anti-malware tool.Find Out More About SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool / How to Uninstall SpyHunter
- Guide 1: How to Remove Important Message Pop-Up from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Important Message Pop-Up from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Important Message Pop-Up from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Important Message Pop-Up from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Important Message Pop-Up from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Important Message Pop-Up from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Important Message Pop-Up from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Important Message Pop-Up from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Important Message Pop-Up
Step 2: Uninstall Important Message Pop-Up and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Important Message Pop-Up on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Important Message Pop-Up there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Important Message Pop-Up from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Important Message Pop-Up and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Important Message Pop-Up via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Important Message Pop-Up files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Important Message Pop-Up, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Important Message Pop-Up from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Important Message Pop-Up from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Important Message Pop-Up from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Important Message Pop-Up from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Important Message Pop-Up will be removed.
Eliminate Important Message Pop-Up from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.