OSX.Trojan.Gen is the detection name for most Trojan horses that infect Mac computers. The detection’s origin is traced back to multiple antivirus programs. The bad news is that some Trojans are very advanced and simple detection and quarantine is not enough to remove them fully. Their main goal is to enter your Mac undetected and steal information, install other viruses or spy on you. If you see the OSX.Trojan.Gen detection on your Mac, then we recommend that you read this article.
|Type||Trojan Horse for Mac OS|
|Short Description||Aims to slither on your Mac undetected and perform series of malcious activities.|
|Symptoms||One of the symptoms could be a fake app posing as a legitimate one. The virus aims to be completely undetected, so other symptoms could include odd behaviour of your Mac.|
|Distribution Method||Via malspam or via compromised websites.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss OSX.Trojan.Gen.|
OSX.Trojan.Gen – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
OSX.Trojan.Gen is a Trojan horse type of threat. Typically it enters your computer by posing as a legitimate app that may be downloaded from a third-party site with low-reputation. The OSX.Trojan.Gen can also be sent to you via e-mail and there, it may infect via a malicous URL in the e-mail itself or could wind up on your computer as a result of being attached to those e-mails as a fake document that appears important.
Once on your computer, the OSX.Trojan.Gen can be capable of doing a lot of bad stuff. Some of them are listed underneath:
- Activate your camera or microphone.
- Log your keystrokes.
- Track you location via FindMyMac.
- Read your IP and MAC addresses.
- Copy files from your Mac.
- Delete files from your Mac.
- Steal AppleID passwords and IDs.
- Steal saved passwords on your browser.
- Download other viruses on your Mac without your knowledge.
- Update itself.
The “gen” in the detection OSX.Trojan.Gen stands for the word generic and it means that this Trojan is in fact malware, but it’s not known. This means that it may even have other new activities that may be performed on your computer.
The main idea behind this Trojan is to take over control of your Mac for the benefit of the hackers behind it. This is the main reason why it’s removal is highly recommended.
How to Effectively Remove OSX.Trojan.Gen
To make sure that this malware is fully erased from your Mac, we recommend that you see step 1 and 2 in the removal instructions below. If they do not help you, then we suggest that you use an advanced malware removal software. Such tool will detect the virus files and objects, related to OSX.Trojan.Gen and make sure that they are fully erased and your Mac is safe, so you can change all your passwords afterwards.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall OSX.Trojan.Gen and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove OSX.Trojan.Gen via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove OSX.Trojan.Gen – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove OSX.Trojan.Gen files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as OSX.Trojan.Gen, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.