|Short Description||The page may look like a regular search engine with links to well-known pages.|
|Symptoms||The user may have the website set as his homepage without his approval.|
|Detection Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool, to See If Your System Has Been Affected by TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker|
FaceLiker is a type of Trojan that is specifically designed to remain undetected in the infected PC for longer periods of time with one and only purpose – generating profit to its owner. It has several variants all of which are made to execute connections from the infected machine to other sites. This is usually done with the purpose of generating profits for different sites, increasing the traffic to those and hence the profit. It can also be used to attack other sites’ funds visiting from referral links that generate profit.
TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker – How Did I Get Infected?
Most clicker Trojans are usually distributed via Spam mail campaigns. Such emails may contain one or more documents with the following file formats in them:
→.bat, .cmd, .exe, .pif, .scr, or .zip
Most spam mails may look extremely legitimate and may even be spoofed. This means that the e-mail message may be set to resemble or be the same as someone in your contact list or from some legitimate site that you may have registration in. These can be eBay, PayPal and others. The attachments may contain the trojan horse in them.
Another method of distribution of this vile threat is by social media. We are talking about sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and others. The malware may be redistributed in the form of a suspicious java or flash update to watch a video posted online that redirects to third-party sites.
TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker – More About It
According to Microsoft security researchers, once executed in a victim’s computer, the Trojan creates the following objects:
The malware also may execute malicious script, known in the underground as cryptor that will mask its presence from any antivirus programs that are not scanning for it. More to it than that it also contains programmed scripts that execute connection to certain pre-set websites. Users even report seeing this FaceLiker variants to like random Facebook posts on users’ behalf.
More to it than that, the malware may modify certain registry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Such settings may vary, but are mostly connected with enabling the malware to operate undetected and run on start-up. This trojan may be dangerous for the user for several different reasons:
- It may also steal information from the user, such as credentials, passwords, etc.
- It may open certain sites that are malicious and may infect the PC with other malware.
- The trojan may be combined in a pack with other functions such as downloader, ransomware file encryptor, rootkit, keylogger and others.
Experts advise that if you observe one of the following symptoms to immediately check your computer for TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker:
- Likes, followings in your social networks to other pages without your explicit consent.
- Random browser redirects to web pages you have nothing to do with.
- Active connections with more than the usual and unfamiliar IP Addresses (check with the netstat –n function in Windows Command Prompt)
TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker – Detection and Removal
In case you are looking for a solution against this threat to your computer, make sure you act fast. For best results you should first isolate the threat by disconnecting from the internet. After this you should follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided for you below. You should also locate and download a reputable anti-malware solution for your computer. Such software will not only detect and remove any objects associated with TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker, but it also protects your computer from any future intrusions.
Step 1: Start Your PC in Safe Mode to Remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker.
Removing TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Windows XP, Vista, 7 systems:
1. Remove all CDs and DVDs, and then Restart your PC from the “Start” menu.
– For PCs with a single operating system: Press “F8” repeatedly after the first boot screen shows up during the restart of your computer. In case the Windows logo appears on the screen, you have to repeat the same task again.
– For PCs with multiple operating systems: Тhe arrow keys will help you select the operating system you prefer to start in Safe Mode. Press “F8” just as described for a single operating system.
3. As the “Advanced Boot Options” screen appears, select the Safe Mode option you want using the arrow keys. As you make your selection, press “Enter“.
4. Log on to your computer using your administrator account
While your computer is in Safe Mode, the words “Safe Mode” will appear in all four corners of your screen.
Removing TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 systems:
Whilst holding down Shift button, click on Power and then click on Restart.
A menu will appear upon reboot. You should choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding number and the machine will restart and boot into Safe Mode so you can scan for and remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker.
Step 2: Remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker automatically by downloading an advanced anti-malware program.
To clean your computer you should download an updated anti-malware program on a safe PC and then install it on the affected computer in offline mode. After that you should boot into safe mode and scan your computer to remove all TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker associated objects.
- Guide 1: How to Remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Delete TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker
Step 2: Uninstall TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Delete TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker will be removed.
Eliminate TrojanClicker:MSIL/FaceLiker from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.