The SecureDossier PUP is a reported malicious infection which takes the name of a system optimization utility. While a legitimate application might actually exist and will not pose a threat to the security and privacy of the users, there are numerous security reports indicating that there is a widespread campaign carrying the SecureDossier PUP. At the moment there is no information available about the hackers behind the campaign we cannot judge how experienced they are. Still there are many samples released “in the wild” which shows that several of the most popular distribution methods are being used.
One of the most widely used methods to spread such threats is to create infected payload carriers — they can be either documents or malware software installers. When they are opened by the victims the built-in virus instructions will lead to the installation of the SecureDossier PUP.
As soon as the application is started it will run a series of dangerous actions. There are many versions and variants of this PUP that are spread on the Internet, many of them may be distributed via different hacking groups. As such a singular code analysis cannot be made.
We anticipate that the threat will launch a sequence of components that will confront to the typical behavior patterns of popular PUPs:
- Data Retrieval — When run the system utility will be able to access the contents of the hard drive and scan the memory looking out for strings that can reveal personal information about the users and the machine itself. This is useful exposing the identity of the victims and using the obtained data for crimes such as identity theft and financial abuse.
- Security Software Bypass — Most software of this type can find out if certain security software is installed: anti-virus programs, firewalls, sandbox environments and intrusion detection systems. They will be disabled or entirely removed.
- Additional Payload Delivery — The made infections can be used to further install other viruses to the affected machines.
- Boot Options Modification — Other behavior that is associated with some of the SecureDossier PUP samples is the one that changes the boot options in order to automatically launch the application as soon as the computer is started. This can also disable access to the recovery options and settings which renders most manual user removal guides non working. In this case the users will need to use a professional-grade anti-malware solution.
When the SecureDossier PUP is started it will start a hoax scan which will display many errors and files in order to coerce the victims into clicking on the shown buttons. In most cases they will be deceived into paying for a paid version in order to cleanup and optimize their machines. This will not work as intended and will only harvest and possibly abuse the financial data. Charges on your payment card may be added to a subscription plan that may be very hard to cancel.
|Type||Malware, Scam Program|
|Short Description||Poses as a tool that will cleanup junk files and improve performance.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Mainly via download sites and file sharing networks.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by SecureDossier PUP |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss SecureDossier PUP.|
KMSPico – How Did I Get It
The SecureDossier PUP can be spread using a variety of different tactics. There are many variants of it which are spread using various collectives. Our security research shows that there are many versions using the KMSPico name and alternatives as well. This allows the criminal collectives to launch a multitude of attacks bearing different versions of the malware.
One of the main techniques is the coordination of phishing email messages which coerce the victims to interact with the included content. They are designed to appear as legitimate notifications sent from well-known services and companies. The SecureDossier PUP files can be either attached or inserted as text links.
Hacker-made sites that pose as legitimate download portals, search engines and software product pages will scam the users into downloading and running the application. They are generally hosted on domains that sound similar to popular sources and may include self-signed security certificates.
To increase the number of infected victims the criminals can also place the SecureDossier PUP in payload carriers such as macro-infected documents and malware application bundles. They are widely downloaded from the Internet by end users and may be found on file-sharing sites as well like BitTorrent.
Such infections can also be spread via browser hijackers which are dangerous web browser extensions that are usually uploaded to the repositories of the most popular browsers.
KMSPico – What Does It Do
The SecureDossier PUP is advertised as a system utility that can cleanup and improve the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Such malware can execute many different tactics depending on the exact attack campaign. Most of them are used in order to serve as payload carriers for other threats. Popular options are the following:
- Trojan Clients — The made infections will create a persistent and secure connection to a hacker-controlled server which allows the hackers to take over control of the infected machines, steal their files and deploy other malware.
- Data Theft — The SecureDossier PUP may include an information harvesting ability which is capable of acquiring data that ca directly expose the identity of the victim users.
- Machine Identification — Many similar threats are programmed to extract the list of installed hardware components ,specific operating system environment values and user settngs which are then processed by a special algorithm that will ouput an unique infection ID that is to be assigned to each different computer.
- Windows Registry Changes — The SecureDossier PUP can create entries for itself in the Windows Registry which can make its removal more difficult. If it edits existing values then serious performance issues can arise. Data loss and errors are a common side effect of this operation.
- Boot Menu Options Modification — Some SecureDossier PUP versions can modify the boot options in order to automatically start themselves when the computer is powered on. By disabling access to these options manual user removal guides can become worthless.
- Data Removal — The engine can be configured to locate and delete files such as system backups, restore files and shadow volume copies. This makes recovery much more difficult and in this case the use of a data recovery solution needs to be used.
Any future KMSPico variants can include other malicious actions as per the hacker’s instructions.
How to Remove KMSPico
In order to fully remove KMSPico from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see KMSPico or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your comptuer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of KMSPico files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.