The article will help you to remove SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware is a virus threat that can can cause malicious actions to the infected systems. Our in-depth removal article shows how the threat behaves and how victim users can remove active infections.
|Name||SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware|
|Type||Adware with redirect scripts|
|Short Description||A dangerous infection that will lead to pop-ups generation and can execute different malicious actions.|
|Symptoms||Victims may experience system performance issues and will see many ads and other scrips.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads, malicious scripts and other methods.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware.|
SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware – How Did I Get It
The SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware is a common virus infection that may be installed using different methods. Depending on the target machines the criminals may opt to use several techniques at once.
A primary method is to create SPAM email messages that contain various social engineering tricks, their end goal is to coerce the users into interacting with the malicious elements. The messages themselves are designed to appear as legitimate notifications sent by commonly used Internet services and sites. The virus file leading to the SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware infection may be directly attached to them or linked in the body. Other methods that the hackers may use is the spread of the files in fake download sites — they are fake copies of well-known Internet portals and vendor download pages. To make it harder to distinguish between the real and the counterfeit page the hackers may use similar sounding domain names and security certificates.
File sharing networks are another widely used method for spreading the files, a popular choice is BitTorrent which is used for spreading all sorts of content, including pirate copies of software and media. All of these tactics may be abused further by spreading malicious payloads. A prominent example is the macro-infected document which can be of any of the popular types (databases, text files, spreadsheets and presentations). Whenever they are opened by the users a message prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in scripts. If this is done the infection will follow. The other type is the creation of malicious software installers by taking the legitimate setup files of popular end-user applications from their official vendor download pages and modifying them with the malware installation code.
In some cases the criminals may utilize malicious browser plugins which are alternatively known as “hijackers”. They are made compatible with the most popular web browsers and are designed to manipulate their settings. The end goal is to redirect the users to a hacker-controlled site and infect the computers with the virus. The samples are often uploaded to the relevant browser extension repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials.
SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware – More Information
The SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware is a common pop-up infection that can lead to many dangerous system modifications. Depending on the customizations done by the hacker operators the behavior can change over time or depending on the ongoing attack campaign.
One of the most well-known symptoms of infection is the intrusive and frequent of ads and pages when opening the web browser. The users will notice that their settings are changed or that many more system resources as used. The SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware modifies the web browsers by modifying important settings such as the home page, search engine and new tabs page. The victims also need to be aware that due to the fact that the infections happen through the browser applications the criminals can obtain all stored therein data: cookies, bookmarks, history, settings and any stored account credentials.
Most of the infections are caused through the installation of an application called “Surfbuyer” which can cause various System changes:
- Boot Modifications — The SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware can institute itself as a persistent threat by modifying the boot settings. This means that it will start automatically once the computer boots and it might interfere with other services and applications.
- Additional Threats Deployment — This installer bundle can be used by attackers to install other viruses onto the target hosts.
- Trojan Component Installation — SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware instances can include a Trojan module which can be used to take over control of the infected hosts. This is usually done by setting up a secure connection to a special server. It can be used to monitor the users behavior, steal their files or take over control of the victim machines at any given time.
One of the most important reasons why this adware should be removed is because the delivered ads and pop-ups can redirect the users to various virus hosting sites. In addition use of malicious scrips can lead to ads that upon viewing will generate income for the hackers operators.
Another dangerous threat that can delivered is a cryptocurrency miner. This is either a script-based or a standalone infection that takes advantage of the available system resources in order to make complex calculations. When they are done and the results are reported the hacker operators will receive payment in return.
Remove SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware 2018 PUP
If you want to remove the SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware unwanted software from your Mac machine we recommend that you use a specific anti-malware for Mac machines. The main goal of such a program is to scan your machine and terminate the files with malicious behavior and also clean up any malicious code in your repositories. In addition, with a specific anti-malware program, your computer will remain with a better protection and stay healthy performance-wise in the future.
- Guide 1: Get rid of SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Mac OS X.
- Guide 2: Remove SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Google Chrome.
- Guide 3: Erase SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 4: Uninstall SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 5: Delete SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Safari.
- Guide 6: Eliminate SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Internet Explorer.
Get rid of SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Delete SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware will be removed.
Eliminate SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware FAQ
What is SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware?
SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware is classified as a potentially unwanted app for Mac. It appears like a normal app, but it may cause unpleasant pop-ups and redirects on your Mac.
Be aware, that SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware may be able to affect the browsers Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge and Opera. It may they perform unwanted activities on your Mac.
Such can turn out to be showing advertisements of all types, slowing down your Mac's performance and even infecting your Mac with other viruses by showing you dangerous ads.
Is SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware a Virus?
It may also cause dangers and may lead to risky websites, such as:
- Phishing sites.
- Web pages that are scam.
- Sites that may contain viruses.
These are the main reasons why threatening is considered by experts to be indirectly dangerous to your Mac.
Can my Mac get virus?
The answer to this question is "yes". Unfortunately it opened happens that Mac devices become infected with different types of malware, adware and other threats. This causes a lot of problems for both companies and users.
How did I get SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware?
SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware could be spread to Mac computers via several methods. One of those methods is via the installers of third party apps. This technique is called software bundling.
Also, SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware adware could be included in the installer steps of an app you may have downloaded for your Mac from a third party website. Search app could be a media player or some other free software you may have tried to recently install.
You may have missed SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware, because it could be hiding in one of the install steps or could be offered as a "free extra" or an "optional offer".
How to remove SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from my Mac?
By removing its core files. To get rid of SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware from your Mac, security experts strongly advise to scan it with a professional anti-malware app for Mac.
An anti-malware security app has the capability of scanning all of the areas in your Mac were SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware could be residing.
It will also make sure that SurfBuyer Mac OS X Adware is permanently gone from your Mac and that your Mac is safe in the future.
How to protect my Mac from viruses?
To protect your Mac from all sorts of virus threats, you can can minimize the risk of getting a virus in the first place. This is why we strongly recommend that you take the following steps for protection on your Mac below:
1. Register for a VPN service of your choice.
2. Clear the cookies that are on your web browsers and uninstall any browser extensions from them that you believe are suspicious.
3. Download and install reputable malware removal and protection software.
4. Always check if the website you're visiting has HTTPS instead of just HTTP in its address. This indicates that a site is secure.
5. Do not type any personal info on websites which are with low reputation or you can't trust.
6. Always check if the site you're visiting is the real web page at not a fake one by looking at the address bar. Many fishing websites that contain viruses change one or two letters in the main domain name of the site they're trying to mimic.
7. Always link your cell phone phone to your Bank Accounts, PayPal, Facebook, Gmail, Instagram and other accounts. This will allow you to see notification if somebody else logged in from your account and makes account hijacking nearly impossible.
8. Always find a way to backup all your important files regularly. You can save them on a USB stick or use Cloud backup services, like Google Drive. iDrive, Onedrive and others.