The Cam4 Phishing Virus is a popular web threat which is spread across the Internet posing as an official adult videos site. The many virus samples are fake copies and/or attempt to fraud the victims into believing that they have accessed a safe resource. Read our in-depth Cam4 Phishing Virus removal guide to learn how to protect yourself from danger.
|Name||Cam4 Phishing Virus|
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Xtube download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Cam4 Phishing Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Cam4 Phishing Virus.|
Cam4 Phishing Virus – How Did I Get It
The Cam4 phishing virus is a threat which can be spread using a variety of tactics. This can include the construction of hacker-controlled sites that are hosted on similar sounding domain names and copied contents. The hackers behind the fake copies will do everything in their power to mislead the victims into believing that they have accessed a legitimate page. Not only are these sites modeled to appear as home pages, but they may present other sections: specific user profiles, login pages or help pages. This is done with the effort of manipulating the victims into entering in their credentials or other personal information.
The addresses to the fake pages can be spread via email messages that are modeled after bulk-sent SPAM notifications. The hackers will present the notifications in a way that mimics the common messages: password reset, profile update, special offers and etc.
Cam4 phishing virus can be caused by the inclusion of the relevant infection code in a variety of executable files and other types of data. Two of the most common strategies are the following:
- Macro-Infected Documents — The Cam4 phishing virus can be deployed by interacting with documents across all popular file formats: databases, spreadsheets, text files and presentations. As soon as they are opened the users will be prompted into enabling the built-in code. The message that will be displayed to the victims will read that this is required in order to display correctly the contents of the files.
- Bundle Installers — The criminals can create dangerous application setup packages of popular software. The criminals will take the legitimate files from their official sources and modify it with the virus code. This goes out with applications such as creativity suites, system utilities, productivity apps and even computer games.
A large part of the Cam4 phishing virus infections may also be caused by the installation of malicious browser plugins, also called hijackers. The phishing tactic revolving them is that they are posted to their relevant repositories. The hackers will use fake developer identities and user reviews to make the associated plugin appear as safe and useful to the prospective users. In this case they may be advertised as adding in new features to the site or in some way boosting the usability. The descriptions may feature video or photos of the real Cam4 in an attempt to fool the users.
Bear in mind that many of the files that can be lead to the virus infection may be uploaded to different peer-to-peer sharing networks like BitTorrent where both legitimate and virus data can be found. Among them there are a multitude of files, most of which can take forms of useful data: photos, movies, software, games, utilities, e-books and more.
Also the Cam4 phishing virus may be deployed via other virus infection. This is done in complex scenarios where the hackers want to penetrate a given system with another virus and then land the Cam4 as a consequence of the initial attack.
In most of the Cam4 phishing virus infected computers the case will be that the the point of entry is a web-based approach. The victims have probably installed a dangerous browser extension or have started a malicious script on a page or in an email. One of the main goals is to redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled page that is made to appear as a Cam4-sanctioned page — this can be a homepage, landing site or a login prompt. There are certain typical cases where these threats are clearly demonstrated:
- Login Prompts — The hackers can construct fake login prompts that will request the account credentials of the users or other personal information.
- Registration Windows — The hackers can fake the registration prompts of Cam4. This means that if the users fall victim to them they will give in personal information to the victims.
- Special Offers — Counterfeit ads and special offers are frequently constructed by the hackers. Common forms can be free trials or special “packs” that can be accessed if the victims click on them. However at the time of interaction with them the malicious Cam4 phishing virus will be deployed.
- Redirects — Automatic redirects to a virus-infected landing page can take place if embedded across malware ads or other dangerous contents.
Cam4 Phishing Virus – What Does It Do?
The web-based Cam4 phishing virus samples can lead to a number of malicious actions and among them one of the most common form is the creation of fake landing pages. This is done in order to scam the victims into revealing personal information about the users. The collected data can be used for a variety of crimes such as identity theft and financial abuse.
In some cases this can also lead to the delivery of cryptocurrency miners — they are designed to download a sequence of malicious tasks that will place a heavy impact on the system’s performance taking advantage of important components such as the CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. For every succesful operation the hacker operators will receive cryptocurrency income directly into their wallets.
On the other hand the executable files and the file carriers are usually created in order to execute various malicious actions:
- Data Harvesting — The Cam4 phishing virus and its associated componenets can be used to extract a variety of data that can be about the victim users or the machines. The generation of an unique ID string that can be associated with the infected machines is done by reading the list of installed hardware parts.
- Security Bypass — The main engine can look for any installed applications and services that may be block it. Usually this is based on a list that includes the following: firewalls, virtual machine hosts, anti-virus engines and etc.
- Persistent Installation — The Cam4 phishing virus can be deployed in a way which will automatically start the threat as soon as the computer is booted.
- Windows Registry Changes — If configured so the malware engine can additionally create or edit existing strings in the Windows Registry. This can lead to severe performance issues, the inability to start certain functions or unexpected errors.
- Additional Malware Delivery — The made infections can be used to deliver other malicious payloads. An example is the deliver of Trojan horse threats — they are created in order to establish a secure and persistent connection to a preset hacker-controlled server. It allows the criminals to take over control of the hosts, spy on the victims and carry out other malicious operations. The other popular example is the delivery of ransomware which are file encrypting viruses that will process sensitive user dat according to a built-in list of target file type extensions.
- Data Removal — The Cam4 phishing virus can search for any information that is deemed sensitive and important to the victims. Often this includes shadow volume copies, backups and system restore points.
Remove Cam4 Phishing Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Cam4 Phishing Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Cam4 Phishing Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Cam4 Phishing Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.