HerculesLookup is the name of an adware application that might create browser reroutes to numerous different types of sites, a few of which may ultimately end up being malicious. The main idea of this app is to get you to trust that it is a genuine program. Truth is such apps might start to do different types of unwanted tasks on your web browser and Mac, like change its settings and additionally present numerous types of promotions on your Mac.
HerculesLookup is the name of an application that might show up on Mac. We have already seen several applications like it over time, for instance, the Weknow.ac browser hijacker, Task Fresh adware plus several others. This sort of unwanted program might be spread out on your computer system by being uploaded and advertised on various different types of software providing websites where they might look like reputable applications. They might additionally be bundled to other programs, impersonating “Free Extra”, added in your current installation.
|Name||HerculesLookup also known as MacOS:Adload-AG [Adw], MacOS:Adload-AG [Adw], A Variant Of OSX/Adware.Synataeb, Not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.OSX.Adload.h|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your web browser in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your machine.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss HerculesLookup.|
HerculesLookup Infection Mac – What Does It Do?
HerculesLookup could be spread onto your Mac by multiple different tactics. It could be downloaded from a site that advertises it as a relatively legit software, however, it might be installed by being added as a free addition of some sort to the installers of various other applications that you may have also downloaded. There, HerculesLookup could be marketed as a helpful app to apparently improve your internet browsing experience.
When HerculesLookup is added on your Mac, it could start to use different kinds of tracking technologies. These trackers could be used to accumulate various details from your computer. Such can be cookies, browser flash cookies, and various other types of undesirable programs.
Not just this, but the informaton that can be accumulated from your Mac as a result of having HerculesLookup added on it could be:
- What you visit.
- Where you click while using your internet browser.
- What you type while searching.
- Ad-supported search results pages.
- Where you do your online purchasing.
Along with this, the HerculesLookup app can display various sorts of advertisements on your computer, such as:
- Internet browser reroutes.
- Ad-supported search results.
- Push notification ads.
These ads might lead you to several different types of undesirable sites, and possibly high-risk ones, several of which could ultimately be virus-infested sites or fraud websites which are both really risky for your macOS.
Remove HerculesLookup from Your Mac
HerculesLookup is the name of an application that needs to be removed from your Mac ASAP. Specialists recommend that you comply with the removal guidelines that are underneath this write-up. They have actually been produced with the primary goal to do the removal in detail. For the best outcomes, be encouraged that safety experts strongly recommend that you download and run a scan of your Mac, preferably with reputable malware removal software. Such a program intends to scan for all risky files on the affected Mac and make sure they are safely removed.
About the HerculesLookup Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this HerculesLookup how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on HerculesLookup?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the HerculesLookup threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall HerculesLookup and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to HerculesLookup:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to HerculesLookup. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to HerculesLookup. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove HerculesLookup via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as HerculesLookup. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove HerculesLookup – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove HerculesLookup files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as HerculesLookup, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is HerculesLookup on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of HerculesLookup on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like HerculesLookup?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from HerculesLookup?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.