What Is Ib Search Virus
Ib Search Virus is the name of a browser redirect software that may appear on your Mac. The main purpose of programs, like Ib Search Virus is to get into your Mac and begin changing the settings of your web browser in order to generate different kinds of advertisements, such as banners and pop-ups. These ads are shown purely to make a profit for applications, like Ib Search Virus via pay-per-click and other forms of schemes. The main issue with them is they could often lead to risky websites, like scam domains or malware. This is the main reason why you should focus on removing apps, like this one from your Mac.
Read this article to learn more about Ib Search Virus and how to remove it from your Mac.
Ib Search Virus Summary
|Name||Ib Search Virus|
|Type||Browser Hijacker / PUP / Scam Redirect|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your web browser in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Device Has Been Affected by Ib Search Virus
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Ib Search Virus.|
Ib Search Virus Mac – How Did I Get It?
In a similar way to PowerfulBrowse, ShinySearch and ExtendedField, this software may be installed on your Mac via the utilization of software bundling – something typical for most unwanted software. The way it works is the program files of this app in particular are included in the setup of another free app, such as a media player, file conversion app and other applications that are downloaded from websites outside of the official App Store. You could encounter the program behind this fake search engine somewhere in the install steps, like shown in the example image below:
This means that this ad-supported program could have been added to the installers of any other third-party apps you may have recently installed on your Mac. The outcome of this activity is for Ib Search Virus to get added without your consent and knowledge as it may be included in the “Custom” install steps where it is easy to miss it.
Ib Search Virus – What Does It Do?
This software may also be added to your Mac and may start to modify its web browsers. This app could change its home, new tab and other default settings, resulting in the following ads being shown:
- Banner spaces.
- Pop-ups on your browser.
- Notifications appearing on your Mac and browsers.
- Browser redirect ads.
- Search result ads.
- Ads in text that is linked.
The Ib Search Virus software may also show you ads that have trackers – small files dropped on your Mac used to snoop out information about:
- The web pages you check out.
- Where you click.
- Your favourite websites.
- The entire browsing history your browser keeps.
Such trackers can be noticed if you check the websites you visit from your browser, like the example image below shows:
Is Ib Search a Virus?
No, Ib search is not directly reported to be a virus, but it may be just as dangerous as any other malware out there, due to the promoted content it shows and the fact that it is displayed for profit.
These promoted banners, pop-ups and other redirects can sometimes lead you to risky sites, like:
- Fake surveys.
- Fake websites, designed for phishing.
- Scam software download that may only be after your money.
- Endless redirect schemes.
- Fake tech support fraud.
This is the main reason why you should consider removing this risky program from your Mac immediately.
Remove Ib Search Redirect from Your Device
This unwanted app can be deleted effectively from your Mac if you follow the removal instructions we have created underneath this article. These steps have been made with the main idea to best assist victims to delete this nasty software from both their Macs and the browsers it has affected. For maximum effectiveness of the removal, we would strongly recommend that you download and run a scan of your Mac using anti-malware. Such app is created to best assist in automatically detecting and deleting any malware, adware and unwanted software and trackers from your Mac.
About the Ib Search Virus Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this Ib Search Virus how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on Ib Search Virus?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the Ib Search Virus threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Ib Search Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to Ib Search Virus:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to Ib Search Virus. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to Ib Search Virus. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Ib Search Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as Ib Search Virus. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Ib Search Virus – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Ib Search Virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Ib Search Virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
Ib Search Virus FAQ
What is Ib Search Virus on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Ib Search Virus on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Ib Search Virus?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Ib Search Virus?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.