|Type||Executable File, PUP|
|Short Description||The .exe file may be associated with a range of browser hijackers, adware apps, and PUPs.|
|Symptoms||Symptoms may vary on each system. Refer to the article for more information.|
|Distribution Method||Via freeware packages (bundling), unsafe browsing, etc.|
|Detection tool||Download SpyHunter, to See If Your System Has Been Affected By MiniLiteSvc.exe|
According to security research, MiniLiteSvc.exe is a process most likely related to browser hijackers and potentially unwanted applications. If your homepage has been changed without your permission, you should be aware that your system has been compromised. Another indication that something has sneaked into your system is if you notice the MiniLiteSvc.exe in your TaskManager.
Image Source: FreeFixer.com
MiniLiteSvc.exe Technical Details
MiniLite may be associated with:
However, the application may have been downloaded in a bundled package. This means that the list of associative files and processes may be quite longer. A version of the MiniLite executable is MiniLite_v22.214.171.12471.exe.
MiniLite_v126.96.36.19971.exe has been scanned on VirusTotal. According to the scan, 7 out of 57 anti-virus programs detect the file. Here is a list of the AV solutions that have succeeded in identifying the file:
- Comodo detected it as Application.Win32.SearchProtect.~WT
- GData detected it asWin32.Application.SearchProtect.AA@gen
- Malwarebytes detected it as PUP.Optional.MiniLite.A
- McAfee Buy detected it as Artemis!D0A4FD099B7E
- McAfee-GW-Edition detected it as Artemis
- Microsoft recognized it as a BrowserModifier:Win32/SupTab
- Panda detected it as Trj/Genetic.gen
The Artemis detection may be an indication of a more severe intrusion. Artemis is a malware family best known for its Trojans. We have already written about one of them – Artemis!A2E72D787C25 https://sensorstechforum.com/artemisa2e72d787c25-removal-manual/.
Another Artemis association is the Aartemis browser redirect and suspicious search engine.
The SearchProtect detection is also troublesome since other suspicious executables may be residing in the background of the system.
The purpose of MiniLiteSvc.exe may be to prevent the detection of the browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs installed on the system. Browser hijackers alter the browser’s default settings and change the search page, error page and new tab page to their preferences.
Moreover, MiniLiteSvc.exe and similar executable files may be responsible for the intrusion of ad-supported software. If you have adware located on your computer, you may experience any or all of the following symptoms:
- Display of ad-sponsored content – banners, pop-ups.
- Collection of private data – PII or/ and non-PII.
- Browser misbehavior such as occasional slow-downs and crashes.
- Random texts on visited pages may be turned into hyperlinks.
- Browser redirects to unsafe pages.
MiniLiteSvc.exe Removal Options
If you have experienced any of the symptoms described in this article, you should proceed towards identifying and removing all threats. Multiple adware applications and browser hijackers may be running in the background and draining the power of your PC. Feel free to refer to the removal manual we have provided below the text. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us via the comment section.
1. Remove/Uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe in Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps to remove that program. No matter if you are using Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program get left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, mistakes with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Select the program that you want to remove, and press “Uninstall” (fig.3).
Follow the instructions above and you will successfully uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe.
2. Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from your browser
Select the “Add-ons” icon from the menu
Select MiniLiteSvc.exe and click “Remove”
After MiniLiteSvc.exe is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red “X” in the top right corner and start it again.
Select MiniLiteSvc.exe to remove, and then click ‘Disable’. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected toolbar, and some additional toolbars might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click ‘Disable’.
After MiniLiteSvc.exe has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red ‘X’ in the top right corner and start it again.
From the drop menu select ‘Preferences’
In the new window select ‘Extensions’
Click once on MiniLiteSvc.exe
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe. Select ‘Uninstall’ again, and the MiniLiteSvc.exe will be removed.
In order to remove any associated objects that are left after uninstall and detect any other threats, you should:
3. Start Your PC in Safe Mode to Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe.
For Windows XP, Vista, 7 systems:
1. Remove all CDs and DVDs, and then Restart your PC from the “Start” menu.
– For PCs with a single operating system: Press “F8” repeatedly after the first boot screen shows up during the restart of your computer. In case the Windows logo appears on the screen, you have to repeat the same task again.
– For PCs with multiple operating systems: Тhe arrow keys will help you select the operating system you prefer to start in Safe Mode. Press “F8” just as described for a single operating system.
3. As the “Advanced Boot Options” screen appears, select the Safe Mode option you want using the arrow keys. As you make your selection, press “Enter“.
4. Log on to your computer using your administrator account
While your computer is in Safe Mode, the words “Safe Mode” will appear in all four corners of your screen.
For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 systems:
Step 1: Open the Start Menu
Step 2: Whilst holding down Shift button, click on Power and then click on Restart.
Step 3: After reboot, the aftermentioned menu will appear. From there you should choose Troubleshoot.
Step 4: You will see the Troubleshoot menu. From this menu you can choose Advanced Options.
Step 5: After the Advanced Options menu appears, click on Startup Settings.
Step 6: Click on Restart.
Step 7: A menu will appear upon reboot. You should choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding number and the machine will restart.
4. Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe automatically by downloading an advanced anti-malware program.
To clean your computer you must download an updated anti-malware program on a safe PC and then install it on the affected computer in offline mode. After that you should boot into safe mode and scan your computer to remove all MiniLiteSvc.exe associated objects.
- Guide 1: How to Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of MiniLiteSvc.exe from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase MiniLiteSvc.exe from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate MiniLiteSvc.exe from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove MiniLiteSvc.exe
Step 2: Uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by MiniLiteSvc.exe on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by MiniLiteSvc.exe there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of MiniLiteSvc.exe from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove MiniLiteSvc.exe via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase MiniLiteSvc.exe from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall MiniLiteSvc.exe from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove MiniLiteSvc.exe from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the MiniLiteSvc.exe will be removed.
Eliminate MiniLiteSvc.exe from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.