OptimizationLaunch on Mac
What is OptimizationLaunch? Why is this app on your Mac?
OptimizationLaunch is a program created for Mac OSX. It is not an app you will want to keep on your Mac after you learn more about its specifics. That program seems like an ordinary app that features a few functionalities. However, most of the reputable anti-malware tools detect it as a potentially unwanted program (PUP).
The main reason is the way it behaves. Once added to a macOS, OptimizationLaunch could apply bogus changes in the background of all other running apps and processes. The problem is that changes it applies after its installation, lead to diminished online and macOS security. The main goal of this app is not to be useful but to be profitable for fraudsters.
After changing specific settings, OptimizationLaunch Mac adware may start displaying annoying ads during online browsing sessions. The homepages as well as the default search engines and new tab URLs on installed web browsers may be modified by the PUP too.
Since ads brought to your browser and Mac by OptimizationLaunch adware can link to bogus/hacked websites, we recommend that you consider its complete removal.
|Short Description||A questionable application that hijacks browsers installed on Apple Mac devices. Performs browser modifications without your knowledge.|
|Symptoms||The homepages and new tab pages on installed browser programs may be set to display a hoax search engine. Browser slowdowns may occur due to increased number of online ads. The program may start every time you start the affected Mac.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Fake Software Updates|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
OptimizationLaunch App on Mac – Is It a Virus?
One of the most important questions is – is OptimizationLaunch a Mac virus? The behavior of this program shows that it could be clearly defined as a PUP. PUPs are not considered malicious, hence OptimizationLaunch is not the malicious type of Mac virus. But since its presence on a macOS lowers the overall security and exposes people to the risk of data theft and malware attacks, its removal is highly recommendable.
As a potentially unwanted program OptimizationLaunch attempts to apply changes without being noticed. By doing this it aims a few things:
- To obtain sensitive details,
- To alter essential settings,
- To access installed browsers,
- To generate various types of ads.
By installing different tracking technologies, it can harvest data about your browsing, browser, and device. When such details fall into the wrong hands, they could be used maliciously. The history of cybersecurity remembers a large number of cases of owners of PUPs who misused harvested data to launch aggressive advertising campaigns, promote online scams and try to get rewarded by selling data on dark web markets.
Hence, ads generated by OptimizationLaunch may be risky and vicious. Redirects to corrupted websites, irritating pop-ups, and fake messages may come as a result of keeping this app on your Mac. For the sake of your online security, we advise you to navigate to the OptimizationLaunch removal instructions below and get rid of this potentially harmful program.
How to Remove OptimizationLaunch from Mac
In order to remove OptimizationLaunch adware along with all entries created on the system, you should complete several removal steps in a precise order. The guide below presents you with both manual and automatic removal approaches. In order to fully get rid of files installed by undesired programs and strengthen macOS security, we recommend that you combine the steps. The manual adware removal might be quite a complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. If you don’t feel comfortable with the manual steps, navigate to the automatic part of the guide.
In case you have further questions or need additional help with the removal process, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall OptimizationLaunch and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to OptimizationLaunch: Tip: To quit a process completely, choose the “Force Quit” option.
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to OptimizationLaunch. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to OptimizationLaunch. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove OptimizationLaunch via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath: 2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok: 3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as OptimizationLaunch. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove OptimizationLaunch – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / FirefoxRemove an extension from Safari and reset it.Remove a toolbar from Google Chrome Remove a toolbar from Mozilla Firefox
1. Start Safari 2. After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu. 3. From the menu, click on "Preferences" 4. After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab 5. Click once on the extension you want to remove. 6. Click 'Uninstall' A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the OptimizationLaunch will be removed. How to Reset Safari
IMPORTANT: Before resetting Safari make sure you back up all your saved passwords within the browser in case you forget them. Start Safari and then click on the gear leaver icon. Click the Reset Safari button and you will reset the browser. 1. Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu 2. Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions" 3. From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the add-on and click on the garbage bin icon on the right of it. 4. After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" in the top right corner and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove OptimizationLaunch files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as OptimizationLaunch, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Click the button below below to download SpyHunter for Mac and scan for OptimizationLaunch:
DownloadSpyHunter for Mac
What is OptimizationLaunch on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of OptimizationLaunch on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like OptimizationLaunch?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from OptimizationLaunch?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our website, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.