What Is ColossusAspect on Mac?
ColossusAspect is an app classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP). Software of this type shows different forms of promoted content for profit. An impact like this signifies that the program operates as adware or ad-supported software. The problem with keeping ColossusAspect adware on your Mac is that the program could present you with ads that open different dangerous domains. Malicious software, online scams, and rogue applications could be promoted via this adware.
Read this article where you will find more information about this program and its complete removal.
Colossusaspect Mac – Details
|Type||Adware / PUP / Redirect for Mac|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your computer to force it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your device begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your machine.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by Colossusaspect
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Colossusaspect.|
Colossusaspect Adware – How Did I Get Infected?
Colossusaspect adware on Mac is part of a bigger family of threats called Adload. AdLoad variants appear on Mac machines to compromise victims’ browsing. Other recently detected versions of this family include the following:
The installation of Colossusaspect adware may remain unnoticed. This is possible by the use of other apps installers. The method is also known as software bundling. The example image below shows how an extra app added to the installer of another app could appear:
Another method of replication used by the operators of this software is counterfeit web pages that push fake Adobe Flash Player updates. After a victim gets redirected to a page pushing a fake Flash Player update, he can notice a pop-up message that warns him about a newly released version of a program existing on the macOS. In fact, the victim receives an adware app:
Colossusaspect Mac – What Does It Do?
Colossusaspect adware has one sole purpose and it is to generate profit for its operators. It displays different types of advertisements after it alters certain settings. Modifications applied by the adware may affect your web browser by forcing it to show a hoax search engine as a default. It may also present you with a different homepage and new tab page. Additionally, the following types of advertisements may start to flood browsing sessions:
- Interruptive banner ads.
- Intrusive push notifications.
- Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
- Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
- Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
The promotions that could be shown by this program may include different types of trackers, like cookies, tags, pixels, geo-locators, LSOs and other:
Usually, adware developers claim these trackers are used to improve your service in one way or another. But the truth is different. What they aim is to misuse recorded data for the launch of target advertising campaigns. Information about what you do online, like the following may be harvested from affected browser:
- Your mouse movements.
- IP and Mac addresses.
- What searches you have made.
- Your mouse clicks.
- What you have visited.
- Your bookmarked websites.
- The browsing history from your browser.
Is Colossusaspect a Virus?
No, Colossusaspect is not a malicious Mac virus. Still, it poses a real danger to your MacOS. Most of the apps don’t take any care of the websites they promote. For as long as the developers of this program are concerned, you may even end up being redirected to dangerous domains, like the following:
- URLs, containing a virus infection file or script.
- Tech support fraud pages.
- Web pages that contain scams.
- Redirects to dangerous sites via multiple pay-per-click redirects.
- Rogue software sites.
- Survey sites that are fraud.
- Phishing pages.
This is the main reason why this software in particular is classified as an indirect risk for your macOS and browsers.
How to Remove Colossusaspect from Mac?
Colossusaspect can effectively be removed from your device if you follow the instructions that we have created beneath this post. They have been set up so that they contain the necessary information it takes to clean up your web browsers and your macOS automatically or manually. If you do not have the time or the experience to do malware removal, then our main suggestion is to follow experts’ advice and run a scan of your computer using anti-malware for Mac. Such a program is specifically created to scan for any trackers, adware and malware and clean up your Mac thoroughly.
Steps to Prepare Before Removal:
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Colossusaspect and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to Colossusaspect:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to Colossusaspect. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to Colossusaspect. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any leftover files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Colossusaspect via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as Colossusaspect. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Colossusaspect – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Colossusaspect files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Colossusaspect, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Bonus Step: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is Colossusaspect on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Colossusaspect on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Colossusaspect?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Colossusaspect?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.
About the Colossusaspect Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this Colossusaspect how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on Colossusaspect?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the Colossusaspect threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021