What Is CRAT Trojan
CRAT Trojan is a recently discovered computer malware that is spread in active attack campaigns. The infection mechanisms rely on the victim’s manipulation. Once installed on a given computer, the built-in engine will lead to many dangerous actions. Read our in-depth analysis of the samples and learn how to remove active infections in this article.
CRAT Trojan Summary
|Short Description||Aims to steal data from your computer and run different malware actions.|
|Symptoms||Your computer may behave strangely and new files may be dropped in several Windows Directories.|
|Distribution Method||Common infection methods including phishing messages and malware-infected files.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss CRAT Trojan.|
CRAT Trojan – Virus Infection Methods
The CRAT Trojan is a dangerous malware that is directed against computer users in general, being used in a worldwide attack campaign. It has been launched by an unknown hacking group that is overseeing its launch. We do not know which group exactly is responsible for it and details about how it spreads across the world. Not a lot of code samples have been acquired for analysis, for this reason, it is not known if it uses code from other threats.
We assume that the most popular tactics will be used to distribute CRAT Trojan samples. This includes the use of the most popular strategies, most of them will rely on the use of manipulative tactics against the target users. Such include the forgery of services and well-known companies by impersonating them. This is done by creating template-based email messages and websites. Both of them may include stolen or fake content, as well as domain names that sound similar to the real ones.
Existing versions of this threat can be placed in what is called payload carriers — virus files that when run will lead to the malware deployment. Such can be documents across all popular office formats, or application installers. They are also called installer bundles, as the code will be launched in the background automatically. Virus files can be easily uploaded to file-sharing networks as well, as well as popular download portals by making use of the forged identities. They are widely used by computer users to download files from the Internet.
CRAT Trojan – Virus Capabilities
The CRAT Trojan will likely follow the traditional virus pattern as observed by other common examples of this category. A typical infection will run several dangerous actions, most of them being the following:
- Surveillance — By making a connection to a hacker-controlled server, the hackers will be able to take over control of the machines, spy on the users, and hijack any found therein files.
- Data Gathering — Using the established connection both users data and important system information can be collected. User’s data can be used for crimes like identity theft or financial abuse. Any system information that is captured can lead to the creation of an unique identifier. It can be applied to each contaminated host.
- Security Applications Bypass — Any deployed security programs can have their engines disabled or entirely removed by the CRAT Trojan.
- Additional Malware Installation — The existing CRAT Trojan can be used to install other types of viruses. Desktop instances will usually lead to the deployment of dangerous ransomware. They will encrypt target user’s files with a strong cipher and make them inaccessible. The victims will then be blackmailed into paying the hackers a given decryption fee.
We recommend that every detected instance is removed as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
CRAT Trojan – Virus Removal GUIDE
In order to fully remove this infection from your computer system, recommendations are to try the automatic removal guidelines below. They are particularly created in order to assist you to separate this malware first of all and after that remove, it’s destructive files. If you lack experience in malware removal, the best method and most reliable one according to safety professionals is to use an innovative anti-malware software program. Such will not just immediately get rid of the CRAT infection from your computer system, yet will certainly additionally ensure that your computer system remains shielded versus future infections.
- Guide 1: How to Remove CRAT Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of CRAT Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove CRAT Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase CRAT Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall CRAT Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove CRAT Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate CRAT Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove CRAT Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove CRAT Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall CRAT Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by CRAT Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by CRAT Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of CRAT Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall CRAT Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove CRAT Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove CRAT Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as CRAT Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove CRAT Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase CRAT Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall CRAT Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove CRAT Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the CRAT Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate CRAT Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.