What is Pasteboard app? How to remove Pasteboard virus app from your Mac? How does Pasteboard Mac Virus work?
Pasteboard that is also known as PasteBoardHelper is a virus that has been created to infect your Mac and wreak havoc inside it. It may steal files, download other viruses, push a lot of ads and perform all sorts of different activities. It is classified as a potentially unwanted program due to its capability of accessing Mac operating systems without users’ permission and knowledge. If you have noticed Pasteboard app on your Mac, then we suggest that you read this removal article to learn how you can remove it from the affected system effectively.
|Name||Pasteboard Virus App|
|Type||Trojan for Mac OS|
|Short Description||May slither silently on your Mac and steal information.|
|Symptoms||The malware is pretending to be a Pasteboard Mac App.|
|Distribution Method||Via malicious files sent to victims of virus files automatically infecting via other viuruses.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Pasteboard Virus App.|
Pasteboard Virus App – Update October 2019
According to recent reports Pasteboard Virus App has been detected to still be active on users Macs and to be widespread via the most often used means of replication. Pasteboard Virus App can also be seen in new and different forms since its creators have attempted to update it in various different ways.
Pasteboard Virus App – How Did I Get It on Mac and How Does It Work?
The main way of infection that is used by the Pasteboard Virus App on Mac is to be sent to you as a virus e-mail attachment by pretending to be a legitimate document. Another very widespread infection method of this malware is via a fake application that you may have downloaded from a third-party website. Such fake apps often get slithered on computers through unwanted software, or third-party sites offering them as useful downloads.
Either way, after an infection with the Pasteboard Mac Virus has occurred victims have no choice but to sit patiently and not suspect what is happening because they do not realize that it is a virus. In the meantime, Pasteboard Virus can perform the following virus activities on your Mac:
- Modify hosts.
- Obtain your passwords.
- Log the keystrokes you type.
- Steal your saved logins on your web browsers.
- Take screenshots.
- Control microphone and camera.
Additionally, the undesired app may start delivering ads based on your online interests. These ads may be really annoying and invasive as their main goal is to trick you to click on them. Beware that the related websites may be compromised and as a result configured to trigger the activation process of other undesired programs. Not only this, but the virus can also self-update and download other Pasteboard Trojans just like it.
For the sake of your Mac security, it’s best to complete a thorough Pasteboard virus removal and ensure that no associated files are still present on your macOS.
How to Remove Pasteboard Virus from Mac
How to get rid of Pasteboard? To remove Pasteboard app from your Mac device, we strongly recommend that you read the removal steps underneath this article. They have been made to help you isolate and delete all files created by Pasteboard Virus completely step by step. For best removal results, we recommend that you run a scan of your Mac with professional anti-malware software. Such a cleaner tool aims to scan your Mac and remove all virus files from it.
About the Pasteboard Virus App Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this Pasteboard Virus App how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on Pasteboard Virus App?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the Pasteboard Virus App threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Pasteboard Virus App and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to Pasteboard Virus App:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to Pasteboard Virus App. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to Pasteboard Virus App. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Pasteboard Virus App via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as Pasteboard Virus App. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Pasteboard Virus App – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Pasteboard Virus App files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Pasteboard Virus App, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
Pasteboard Virus App FAQ
What is Pasteboard Virus App on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Pasteboard Virus App on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Pasteboard Virus App?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Pasteboard Virus App?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.