Qbit Clean Pro and as many like to refer to it as a “virus” is actually what we know as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). These types of programs often tend to be downloaded on the users computers as a result of being directly added to them via various types of bundled packages and installers. The actual reason behind such programs is to display a lot of different advertisements and to trick users that they are legitimate utilities pretending to help by cleaning the computer or updating it’s driver. In reality, the outcome of those programs are general slowness of your computer and in addition to these, they may ask victims to opt in for a full version of their programs in order to fix computer issues. If you are experiencing issues on your computer as a result of the Qbit Clean Pro “virus”, we recommend that you read this article thoroughly.
|Name||Qbit Clean Pro|
|Type||Scam System Utility|
|Short Description||This is a scam software that poses as a legitimate system utility that will cleanup the hard disk of junk files.|
|Symptoms||Qbit Clean Pro may run automatically and perform automated scans on the user’s PC.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Qbit Clean Pro |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Qbit Clean Pro.|
Qbit Clean Pro PUP — Distribution Methods
The Qbit Clean Pro PUP is a dangerous malware threat which is being distributed against victims in a worldwide attack campaign. Several different methods can be used at once in order to lead to a large-scale infection. We anticipate that the most popular ones are used:
- Email Messages — The criminals can send out phishing emails that are distributed in a SPAM-like manner. They usually appear as legitimate notifications that have been sent by well-known companies and coerce the recipients into thinking that they need to interact with a certain file or link. The virus files can be inserted as text links or directly as attachments.
- Malicious Sites — The hackers can also create dangerous sites that aim to impersonate well-known sites which are often visited by end users. They are hosted on similar sounding domain names and self-signed security certificates. When they are accessed by the users a multitude of actions can lead to the virus infection : clicking on text links, pop-ups, banners and etc.
- Infected Documents — The criminals can create dangerous documents that contain malicious macros that can lead to the Qbit Clean Pro PUP installation. They can be made part of every popular file format: spreadsheets, presentations, databases and text documents. As soon as they are opened by the victims a prompt will appear asking the victims to enable the built-in scripts. The most common reaon that is quoted is that this is required in order to correctly view the contents of the file.
- Application Bundles — One of the most popular strategies that are used by hackers is to embed the Qbit Clean Pro PUP in the setup files of popular applications. This is done by taking the legitimate files from their official sources and adding in the necessary code. They are then spread using the various distribution tactics.
A very effective strategy is to spread the dangerous payload carriers through file sharing networks which are widely used by Internet users in order to share both legitimate and pirate content. BitTorrent trackers are the most popular tools through which they are accessed.
The hackers can spread the Qbit Clean Pro PUP related files via browser hijackers which are dangerous plugins made for the most popular web browsers. They are uploaded to the relevant repositories using fake developer credentials and post elaborate descriptions promising the users the addition of new features and performance improvement. However as soon as they are installed the virus files will be deployed.
Qbit Clean Pro PUP — Analysis
The Qbit Clean Pro PUP as a dangerous PUP poses as a legitimate system utility which when run will impersonate well-known programs. While the application itself may be legitimate we have received reports of a malicious copycat which is known to infect computer users around the world.
When the program is run it will start a scam system scan which is known to display false results. The users will be shown warning windows and prompts stating that they are infected by multiple viruses or that the hard drive needs extensive cleaning. The program will offer an easy solution if an upgrade to a paid version is made. The users will be offered the possibility to upgrade to it by asking for personal and payment information. This can be used both for identity theft and financial abuse.
The malicious Qbit Clean Pro PUP samples can lead to a sequence of dangerous actions that can be any of the following:
- Security Bypass — The Qbit Clean Pro PUP can include code that can search for security software that can detect and block the threat. This is done by looking out for their processes that are running in memory as well as traces in the hard disk. Their real-time engines can be blocked or entirely removed.
- Data Gathering — The next step is to launch a component used to collect sensitive information. Its engine can be programmed to extract information that can reveal the identity of the victims. This also includes personal data that can be used to perform various identity theft crimes. This same engine can generate an unique infection ID which can be assigned to every affected computer.
- Windows Registry Changes — Once the application has been deployed onto the target machine it can access the Windows Registry thereby creating new entries, changing existing ones and deleting them. This can lead to serious performance issues and the inability to launch certain processes. Errors at any time can be produced as well.
- Additional Threats Delivery — The Qbit Clean Pro PUP can be used to deliver other malware to the infected computers. This includes cryptocurrency miners, ransomware, Trojans and etc.
As the Qbit Clean Pro PUP samples are released in attack campaigns the included components can be different. As such as soon as an infection with this scam program is detected it should be removed as soon as possible.
Remove Qbit Clean Pro from Your Computer
To remove this PUP from your Computer we would strongly suggest that you follow the instructions that are posted underneath. They have been divided in manual and automatic removal steps so that if you fail to remove the program manually, a more effective and recommended method for removal is also at disposal in the face of an advanced malware removal program. Such software aims to automatically detect and remove all files that may be associated with the Driver Update software and protect your computer against any infections that might occur in the future too.
Note! Substantial notification about the Qbit Clean Pro threat: Manual removal of Qbit Clean Pro requires interference with system files and registries. Thus, it can cause damage to your PC. Even if your computer skills are not at a professional level, don’t worry. You can do the removal yourself just in 5 minutes, using a malware removal tool.