The Youtubeconverter.io website belongs to a potentially unwanted application, also known as PUA for Macs. The app’s main purpose is to appear as if it is a helpful YouTube video converter that can rip audio from YouTube for free. However, all of this comes at a cost. Youtubeconverter.io may cause multiple redirects on Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers of your Mac, change new tab and home pages and read and change that data on the sites you visit. Read this article to learn how to remove Youtubeconverter.io completely from your Mac and stop its redirects.
|Type||PUA for Mac OS|
|Short Description||A potentially unwanted program that may show advertisements or ask you to enroll in licenses.|
|Symptoms||Various types of ads may begin to appear on your Mac’s web browsers.|
|Distribution Method||Via bundling or by being downloaded from a site.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Youtubeconverter.io.|
Youtubeconverter.io – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
The primary method of propagation that is used by Youtubeconverter.io is done by downloading it from a shady site, which advertises it as a legitimate and helpful tool for your YouTube experience. Another way via which Youtubeconverter.io can land on your computer could eventually turn out to be spreading the virus via software bundling. This means that you could find Youtubeconverter.io to be added somewhere in the software setup of another free app. There, the app is advertised as a “free extra” or an “optional offer” to the installation.
The main user interface of Youtubeconverter.io looks like the following:
Once on your computer, the Youtubeconverter.io can perform the following activities on your computer:
- Read the data on the websites you visit.
- Change content on the sites you visit.
This is done so that Youtubeconverter.io can display the following ads on your Mac:
- Push notifications ads.
- Highlighted Text ads.
- Browser Redirects.
- Online search result ads.
Besides that the ads that could be shown by Youtubeconverter.io could slow down your Mac significantly. They could also present the following risks to it.
- Phishing pages, that aim to steal you usernames and passwords.
- Scam sites that aim to get you to call fake tech support numbers or download rogue applications.
- Virus sites that could inject malicious scripts and infect your Mac with a virus.
This is what makes Youtubeconverter.io indirectly dangerous to your Mac and its removal recommended.
Remove Youtubeconverter.io from Your Mac
If you want to remove Youtubeconverter.io, we recommend that you follow the steps for removal for Mac below. They contain the necessary measures you need to take to get rid of Youtubeconverter.io completely from your Mac. Furthermore if you want the most effective and best solution for removal of Youtubeconverter.io, it is strongly recommended to download and run a scan with an advanced cleaner software for Mac. Such app will detect all of the leftover files, belonging to Youtubeconverter.io from your computer and make sure that your Mac is safe and clean.
About the Youtubeconverter.io Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this Youtubeconverter.io how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on Youtubeconverter.io?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the Youtubeconverter.io threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Youtubeconverter.io and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to Youtubeconverter.io:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to Youtubeconverter.io. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to Youtubeconverter.io. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Youtubeconverter.io via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as Youtubeconverter.io. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Youtubeconverter.io – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Youtubeconverter.io files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Youtubeconverter.io, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is Youtubeconverter.io on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Youtubeconverter.io on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Youtubeconverter.io?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Youtubeconverter.io?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.