Scarab-Recovery Virus is a newly discovered release of the Scarab ransomware family. It is possible that future versions of it are going to feature updated code that add newer functions. Read our complete Scarab-Recovery Virus removal guide to learn more about it.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts sensitive information on your computer system with the .Recovery extensions and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files with a strong encryption algorithm.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Scarab-Recovery |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Scarab-Recovery.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
Scarab-Recovery Virus – Distribution Ways
The Scarab-Recovery virus is being distributed using the familiar tactics associated with the ransomware family. At the moment there is no information about the identity of the hacker or criminal group behind the ongoing attacks. The attack campaigns seeem to be focused on targets on a worldwide scale utilizing the most common spread tactics.
Email phishing messages are constructed in order to fool the recipients into thinking that they are receiving a message from a legitimate Internet service or a well-known company. Instead they are offered the Scarab-Recovery virus files either attached or hyperlinked in the body contents.
Another mechanism that is used by the criminals is the creation of counterfeit download sites — they usually pose as well-known portals or the official vendor download page. Usually they utilize the text, images and elements that are taken from the real versions. Along with the email messages they are the main methods for spreading infected payloads. There are two main types:
- Documents — The Scarab-Recovery virus infection can be caused by macros-infected files of different types: rich text documents, presentations, spreadsheets and databases. Once they are opened by the victim users a notification prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in scripts which leads to the virus infection.
- Infected Software Packages — The hackers can construct malicious application installers of the most commonly installed programs: productivity, creativity suites and system utilities.
Another mechanism that is used by the hackers is the inclusion of the Scarab-Recovery virus in browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins made for the most popular web browsers and are often uploaded to the relevant repositories. They are advertised as useful additions to the programs and make use of fake developer credentials and user reviews. Once they are installed they can redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled page and infect their computers with viruses, including the Scarab-Recovery virus strain.
Scarab-Recovery Virus – In-Depth Analysis
The Scarab-Recovery virus engine follows the well-known infection behavior tactics associated with the ransomware family. The modular sequence can begin the attacks with the information gathering component. It is used to scan for signatures belonging to security software that can interfere with the proper execution of the ransomware. The list includes any virtual machine hosts, sandbox/debug environments or anti-virus software. Their real-time engines can be bypassed or even removed depending on the exact configuration.
Once this step has been complete the engine can proceed with additional harvesting of sensitive information. They can reveal strings that can expose the victim’s identity. Examples are their real name, address, phone number, location, interests and passwords. The other type of information that is acquired is used to optimize the infection campaigns by generating a full report of the installed hardware reports and other useful metrics.
The next steps taken by the Scarab-Recovery engine might include operating system modifications that can include any of the following:
- Windows Registry Modifications — The criminals gain the ability to modify Windows Registry values belonging to user-installed applications and the operating system itself. This can render certain functions non-working and the overall performance can suffer.
- Persistent Threat — The Scarab-Recovery virus can be instituted as a persistent threat which that it will be started every time the computer boots. The engine can bypass any other startup items that can potentially interfere with this change.
- Trojan Capabilities — Advanced viruses like Scarab-Recovery can be used to launch a Trojan component. The typical behavior is to connect to a hacker-controlled server that allows the hackers to spy on the victims, take over control of their machines and deploy additional threats.
Other modifications can be added as well — any other code additions can be made dependent on the targets and the hacker’s particular plans.
Scarab-Recovery Virus — Encryption
When all prior components have completed execution the ransomware engine will be called. Like previous versions of the Scarab ransomware family it will use a built-in list of target file data that are to be encrypted with a strong cipher. An example list include the following targets:
All victim files are are renamed with the .Recovery extension and the accompaying ransomware note is called HOW TO RECOVER FILES.TXT. It contains the following message:
All your files are encrypted!!!!!!
Your documents, photos, databases and other important data were encrypted.
Data recovery requires a decryptor.
To receive the decryptor, you should send an email to the email address:
[email protected] or [email protected]
In the letter, indicate your personal identifier (see at the end of the document).
Then you will receive further instructions
* Do not attempt to uninstall the program or run antivirus software
* Attempts to self-decrypt files will result in the loss of your data
Remove Scarab-Recovery Ransomware Virus and Restore .Recovery Files
If your computer got infected with the Scarab-Recovery ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Manually delete Scarab-Recovery from your Mac
Automatically remove Scarab-Recovery from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Scarab-Recovery, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.