If you have seen the word Symmi somwhere on your Mac, chances as that it is in serious danger. Symmi is a well known Trojan, that has Adware components built in it. It is a very sophisticated threat that began spreading even more vigorously since the beginning of 2019. Symmi virus aims to perform a range of spyware and adware activities on your Mac, once it arrives in it. Read this article to learn how you can remove Symmi virus completely from your Mac.
|Type||Trojan and Adware for Mac OS|
|Short Description||Symmi Trojan may begin to perform a wide range of spyware and adware activities on the infected Mac by it.|
|Symptoms||Via spammed e-mail attachments or fake software.|
|Distribution Method||Via different means, like e-mail spam if malware or software bundling if the file is an adware app.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Symmi Virus.|
Symmi Malware – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
Symmi Malware could be spread to Macs by being downloaded via e-mail. There, the Symmi malware could be uploaded as a fake e-mail attachment, that may seem as if it is an invoice or other form of important document. Another way of Symmi Malware being spread is it could also be pretending to be a legitimate download of some sort. Such downloads could appear to be:
Once the victim is infected by the Symmi threat, the virus may begin to install the Gen:Variant.Symmi adware and it has the potential to not only display advertisements, but to also:
- Download malware and other unwanted software.
- Update itself and create copies of itself to remain persisten on the infected Mac.
- Log the keystrokes you type.
- Obtain your financial information.
- Obtain data on the sites you visit.
- Obtain your saved passwords.
- Take screenshots.
- Tap into your camera or microphone.
- Obtain information concerning your Mac and IP address.
- Steal files.
In addition to this Symmi malware may also have other negative consequences for your Mac via the ads it shows. It can display the following types od advertised content:
- Browser redirects.
- Push notification ads.
- Online search results that are ad-supported.
The ads that may be displayed by Symmi malware could eventually lead you to various different types of dangerous sites, that may be scam sites or even infect your Mac with more viruses.
Remove Symmi Virus from Your Mac
In order to get rid of Symmi virus, we strongly recommend that you follow the removal instructions that are posted underneath this article. They are made to help you get rid of Symmi malware stap by step from your Mac. For a full and effective removal of Symmi malware, we strongly recommend that you download and install an advanced malware removal software. It has been created with the main idea to remove Symmi trojan automatically from your Mac.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Symmi Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Symmi Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Symmi Virus – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Symmi Virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Symmi Virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.