If you have seen the word Symmi somwhere on your Mac, chances as that it is in serious danger. Symmi is a well known Trojan, that has Adware components built in it. It is a very sophisticated threat that began spreading even more vigorously since the beginning of 2019. Symmi virus aims to perform a range of spyware and adware activities on your Mac, once it arrives in it. Read this article to learn how you can remove Symmi virus completely from your Mac.
|Type||Trojan and Adware for Mac OS|
|Short Description||Symmi Trojan may begin to perform a wide range of spyware and adware activities on the infected Mac by it.|
|Symptoms||Via spammed e-mail attachments or fake software.|
|Distribution Method||Via different means, like e-mail spam if malware or software bundling if the file is an adware app.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Symmi Virus.|
Symmi Malware – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
Symmi Malware could be spread to Macs by being downloaded via e-mail. There, the Symmi malware could be uploaded as a fake e-mail attachment, that may seem as if it is an invoice or other form of important document. Another way of Symmi Malware being spread is it could also be pretending to be a legitimate download of some sort. Such downloads could appear to be:
Once the victim is infected by the Symmi threat, the virus may begin to install the Gen:Variant.Symmi adware and it has the potential to not only display advertisements, but to also:
- Download malware and other unwanted software.
- Update itself and create copies of itself to remain persisten on the infected Mac.
- Log the keystrokes you type.
- Obtain your financial information.
- Obtain data on the sites you visit.
- Obtain your saved passwords.
- Take screenshots.
- Tap into your camera or microphone.
- Obtain information concerning your Mac and IP address.
- Steal files.
In addition to this Symmi malware may also have other negative consequences for your Mac via the ads it shows. It can display the following types od advertised content:
- Browser redirects.
- Push notification ads.
- Online search results that are ad-supported.
The ads that may be displayed by Symmi malware could eventually lead you to various different types of dangerous sites, that may be scam sites or even infect your Mac with more viruses.
Remove Symmi Virus from Your Mac
In order to get rid of Symmi virus, we strongly recommend that you follow the removal instructions that are posted underneath this article. They are made to help you get rid of Symmi malware stap by step from your Mac. For a full and effective removal of Symmi malware, we strongly recommend that you download and install an advanced malware removal software. It has been created with the main idea to remove Symmi trojan automatically from your Mac.
Steps to Prepare Before Removal:
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Symmi Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to Symmi Virus:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to Symmi Virus. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to Symmi Virus. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any leftover files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Symmi Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as Symmi Virus. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Symmi Virus – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Symmi Virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Symmi Virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Bonus Step: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
Symmi Virus FAQ
What is Symmi Virus on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Symmi Virus on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Symmi Virus?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Symmi Virus?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.
About the Symmi Virus Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this Symmi Virus how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on Symmi Virus?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the Symmi Virus threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021