Cover Open is an application for Mac, that is often mistaken with a app that is useful for your Mac. In reality, the program claims it can be beneficial for your Mac, but researchers believe that it can display some advertisements that often tend to lead to various third-party sites, some of which could be dangeorus. Read this article to understan more about how Cover Open works and how you can remove it fully from your Mac.
|Type||PUP for Mac OS|
|Short Description||A potentially unwanted program that may show advertisements or ask you to enroll in licenses.|
|Symptoms||Various types of ads may begin to appear on your Mac’s web browsers.|
|Distribution Method||Via bundling or by being downloaded from a site.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Cover Open.|
Cover Open – Update October 2019
According to recent reports Cover Open has been detected to still be active on users Macs and to be widespread via the most often used means of replication. Cover Open can also be seen in new and different forms since its creators have attempted to update it in various different ways.
Cover Open – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
The Cover Open app may come on your computer by being advertised online as a legitimate app that can help with your Mac’s daily usage. It can also be shown as such somewhere in the install steps of another free Mac app you may have recently downloaded.
Once Cover Open is on your Mac, it may request various different permissions, especially over your web browser. These permissions can include:
- Read the data on the websites you visit.
- Change content on the sites you visit.
These permissions may be used by Cover Open to dipslay various different types of advertisements. The ads that may be shown by Cover Open could be of the following types:
- Browser Redirects.
- Online search result ads.
- Push notifications ads.
- Highlighted Text ads.
Most of the ads that may be shown on your computer as a result of Cover Open are not dangerous. But what makes Cover Open an indirect risk to your Mac is that some of the ads could eventually lead you to sites that are harmful or risky. Such sites can be:
- Phishing pages, that aim to steal you usernames and passwords.
- Scam sites that aim to get you to call fake tech support numbers or download rogue applications.
- Virus sites that could inject malicious scripts and infect your Mac with a virus.
These are some of the main reasons why Cover Open Mac app is considered by researchers a PUP (potentially unwanted program).
Remove Cover Open from Your Mac
If you want to get rid of Cover Open from your Mac, then we urge you to follow the removal steps down below. They have been created to help you delete the app step by step. Furthermore, be advised that apps, like Cover Open could eventually contain leftover files that may still remain on your Mac and keep showing ads or doing other stuff. This is why, to fully make sure that Cover Open and all of its risky files are gone from your Mac, we strongly recommend that you download a professional cleaner software for your Mac and run a scan with it, to delete all unwanted files and apps and secure it.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Cover Open and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Cover Open via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Cover Open – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Cover Open files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Cover Open, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.