What exactly is the Emotet virus? How Emotet virus enters your Mac? What to do if your Mac is infected with Emotet malware?
Emotet virus is the name of a Mac malware infection that is particularly dangerous and affects computers in multiple different ways. The malware aims to devastate sensitive information on your Mac and stop your activity, but the most harm it can do is steal your financial data and saved passwrods. It has also been the reason of many different reports over the web. Read this article to understand more about how Emotet malware works and what are the consequences of it.
|Type||Malware for Mac OS|
|Short Description||Advanced malware infection with Trojan and infostealer components in it for Mac.|
|Symptoms||Little or no symptoms besides apps stopping all of a sudden.|
|Distribution Method||Via malspam of virus documents or by having the virus file downloaded from the web.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Emotet virus.|
Emotet Virus on Mac – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
Just like its Windows counterpart, the Emotet malware can be spread on Macs via its main method of distribution. This method is sending victims e-mails that contain the Emotet infection file added as an e-mail attachment. One e-mail used to infect with Emotet has been detected carrying a malicious .doc file that infects victims via Macros:
Once the user downloads and runs the .doc file, a pop-up asking to enable content shows up on the top bar. Once the user clicks on it, infection with Emotet is inevitable:
Once the content is enabled, Emoted downloads the malware files themselves and creates objects that auto start and inject the virus on the infected Macintosh. From there, the virus begins to connect to a control server, that begins to send instructions to the virus. Then, the virus may use differet types of methdos to propagate onto different areas of the infected Mac, such as:
- Web Browsers.
- Credential enumerators via SMB exploits.
- E-Mail software, like Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.
The main consequences of having Emotet malware on your Mac are the following:
- Emotet can permenantly delete files and important information from your Mac.
- Emotet can stop operations that are active on your Mac.
- The virus can steal financial data and destroy such, resulting in huge financial loss.
- Emotet can bring harm to your company reputation.
When downloaded and install, the sufferer might allow the configuration of the phony update consents over the Mac and also from there, the infection process with Tarmac infection may start. Once on your Mac, Tarmac infection might perform the adhering to destructive activities:
- Read and transform information on the sites you check out.
- Obtain the internet browsers you have reduced your internet browsers Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and so on.
- Acquire your AppleID passwords.
- Swipe files from your Mac.
- Take screenshots.
- Download and install various other malware on your Mac.
- Log the secrets you kind on your keyboard.
- Swipe your economic information, like credit card numbers and various other data if you kind it.
- Use your camera or Microphone.
Numerous customers really feel frustrated regarding how a harmless redirect might bring about such unsafe infection as well as we have the answer for that. The most famous way you can let such an infection is if you have an adware or various other dubious ad-supported application on your Mac. Such apps trigger the kinds of redirects, utilized to infect with malware, just like Tarmac.
Remove Emotet Malware from Your Mac
In order to delete Emotet malware effectively from your Mac, we strongly urge you to follow the removal instructions below. They contain the necessary steps that are needed to fully erase this nasty malware from your Mac. Not only this, but if you want a full and permanent removal of Emotet virus files and objects, the use of an advanced Mac malware cleaner is strongly reccomended. Such software will run a scan of your Mac and detect and remove all Emotet virus files and objects.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Emotet virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Emotet virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Emotet virus – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Emotet virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Emotet virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.