The .hj36M virus is a ransomware that is currently set against target end users on a global scale. There is no information available about the hacking group behind it. It is believed to be a new iteration of the famous ransomware family. This is one of the reasons why we believe that the hackers are experienced.
Once the .hj36M virus has started it will execute its built-in sequence of dangerous commands. Depending on local conditions or the specific hacker instructions various actions will take place. The file encryption will begin after them — the encrypting component will use a built-in list of target file type extensions. In the end the victim files will be renamed with the .hj36M extension.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer machine and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly restore them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will blackmail the victims to pay them a decryption fee. Sensitive user data may be encrypted by the ransomware code.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss hj36M Virus.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
The .hj36M virus is a new release of a relatively small ransomware family known as Ako. The active campaign containing this particular release is not large at the moment however we anticipate that a much larger attack may be planned in the near future if the initial infections prove to be successful. Like the ransomware there is not much information available about the hacking group as well.
What we know is that a large part of the samples are released through web attacks which gives out several main distribution tactics. The first and foremost ones that are frequently used by hackers are the typical social engineering tactics — they aim to manipulate the recipients into thinking that they are receiving notifications from a familiar company or service. They can take the forms of either mass-sent email messages or specially made websites. The shown contents is commonly uploaded to sites that are hosted on domain names that are very similar to the real ones.
The .hj36M virus samples can also be integrated in various types of files which can be uploaded on such places. They are macro-infected documents of all popular formats: presentations, text documents, databases and spreadsheets. When opened a prompt will be created asking them to enable the built-in scripts. This will trigger the infection. The other method used by such hackers is to create setup bundles of popular applications which are often installed by end users. All of these files can easily be uploaded to file-sharing network such as BitTorrent where both pirate and legitimate files are found.
The .hj36MM virus can also be delivered to the end target using directed network attacks — they are done by using hacker toolkits that attempt to intrude onto the victim computers by looking for specific weaknesses using exploits.
Due to the small number of captured samples there is not enough information about all possible consequences of a .hj36M virus infection. Some of the possible malware actions are the following:
- Information Gathering and Processioning — This component will generate an unique ID based on the individual hardware characteristics of the infected machine. The hackers usually do this by reporting on the installed parts and may also hijack personal information about the victims. In the end the output of this will be an unique string that is associated with each hijacked computer.
- Additional Threats Installation — The made Ako ransomware infections like this .hj36M virus can be used to install other threats to the affected machines. Popular options include cryptocurrency miners, Trojans and hijackers.
- System Changes — The ransomware can be used to make changes to the user settings, configuration settings and important operating system variables. This can lead to data loss and severe performance issues. Some of the most common issues related to the reconfiguration of the computer will install the .hj36M virus as a persistent threat. This is done by launching it every time the computer is powered on. If the Windows Registry is affected then the virus may create entries for itself or modify already existing ones. This makes it very difficult to remove the active infections.
In the end the encryption phase will be run which will run process target user data according to a new list of files. This is done by encrypting a lot of personal information including archives, backups, documents, multimedia files and etc. The processed files will be renamed with the .hj36MM extension. The victims will be instructed to pay the hackers a set decryption fee in order to recover their data.
Remove .hj36M Virus
If your computer system got infected with the .hj36M Files ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Attention! SensorsTechForum strongly recommends that all malware victims should look for assistance only by reputable sources. Many guides out there claim to offer free recovery and decryption for files encrypted by ransomware viruses. Be advised that some of them may only be after your money.
As a site that has been dedicated to providing free removal instructions for ransomware and malware since 2014, SensorsTechForum’s recommendation is to only pay attention to trustworthy sources.
How to recognize trustworthy sources:
- Always check "About Us" web page.
- Profile of the content creator.
- Make sure that real people are behind the site and not fake names and profiles.
- Verify Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter personal profiles.
How to Remove hj36M Virus from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove hj36M Virus
Step 2: Uninstall hj36M Virus and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by hj36M Virus on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by hj36M Virus there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Step 4: Scan for hj36M Virus with SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
Step 5 (Optional): Try to Restore Files Encrypted by hj36M Virus.
Ransomware infections and hj36M Virus aim to encrypt your files using an encryption algorithm which may be very difficult to decrypt. This is why we have suggested a data recovery method that may help you go around direct decryption and try to restore your files. Bear in mind that this method may not be 100% effective but may also help you a little or a lot in different situations.
Simply click on the link and on the website menus on top, choose Data Recovery - Data Recovery Wizard for Windows or Mac (depending on your OS), and then download and run the tool.
Get rid of hj36M Virus from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall hj36M Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove hj36M Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Step 3 (Optional): Try to Restore Files Encrypted by hj36M Virus on your Mac.
Ransomware for Mac hj36M Virus aims to encode all your files using an encryption algorithm which may be very difficult to decode, unless you pay money.
This is why we have suggested a data recovery method that may help you go around direct decryption and try to restore your files, but only in some cases. Bear in mind that this method may not be 100% effective but may also help you a little or a lot in different situations.
hj36M Virus FAQ
What is hj36M Virus ransomware and how does it work?
hj36M Virus is a ransomware infection - the malicious software that enters your computer silently and blocks either access to the computer itself or encrypt your files.
Many ransomware viruses use sophisticated encryption algorithm how to make your files inaccessible. The goal of ransomware infections is to demand that you pay a ransom payment to get access to your files back.
How does hj36M Virus ransomware infect my computer?
Via several ways.hj36M Virus Ransomware infects computers by being sent via phishing e-mails, containing virus attachment.
This attachment is usually masked as an important document, like an invoice, bank document or even a plane ticket and it looks very convincing to users.
After you download and execute this attachment, a drive-by download occurs and your computer is infected with the ransomware virus.
Another way, you may become a victim of hj36M Virus is if you download a fake installer, crack or patch from a low reputation website or if you click on a virus link. Many users report getting a ransomware infection by downloading torrents.
How to open .hj36M Virus files?
You can't. At this point the .hj36M Virus files are encrypted. You can only open them once they are decrypted.
Decryptor did not decrypt my data. What now?
Do not panic and backup the files. If a decryptor did not decrypt your .hj36M Virus files successfully, then do not despair, because this virus is still new.
One way to restore files, encrypted by hj36M Virus ransomware is to use a decryptor for it. But since it's a new virus, advised that the decryption keys for it may not be out yet and available to the public. We will update this article and keep you posted as soon as this decryptor is released.
How Do I restore ".hj36M Virus" files (Other Methods)?
Yes, sometimes files can be restored. We have suggested several file recovery methods that could work if you want to restore .hj36M Virus files.
These methods are in no way 100% guarantee that you will be able to get your files back. But if you have a backup, your chances of success are much greater.
How do I get rid of hj36M Virus ransomware virus?
The safest way and the most efficient one for the removal of this ransomware infection is the use a professional anti malware software. It will scan for and locate hj36M Virus ransomware and then remove it without causing any additional harm to your important .hj36M Virus files.
Also, keep in mind that viruses like hj36M Virus ransomware also install Trojans and keyloggers that can steal your passwords and accounts. Scanning your computer with an anti-malware software will make sure that all of these virus components are removed and your computer is protected in the future.
What to Do If nothing works?
There is still a lot you can do. If none of the above methods seem to work for you, then try these methods:
- Try to find a safe computer from where you can can login on your own line accounts like One Drive, iDrive, Google Drive and so on.
- Try to contact your friends, relatives and other people so that they can check if they have some of your important photos or documents just in case you sent them.
- Also, check if some of the files that were encrypted it can be re-downloaded from the web.
- Another clever way to get back some of your files is to find another old computer, a flash drive or even a CD or a DVD where you may have saved your older documents. You might be surprised what will turn up.
- You can also go to your email account to check if you can send any attachments to other people. Usually what is sent the email is saved on your account and you can re-download it. But most importantly, make sure that this is done from a safe computer and make sure to remove the virus first.
More tips you can find on our forums, where you can also asks any questions about your ransomware problem.