The .5ss5c virus is a ransomware that is currently set against target end users on a global scale. There is no information available about the hacking group behind it. It is believed to be a new iteration of the famous ransomware family. This is one of the reasons why we believe that the hackers are experienced.
Once the .5ss5c virus has started it will execute its built-in sequence of dangerous commands. Depending on local conditions or the specific hacker instructions various actions will take place. The file encryption will begin after them — the encrypting component will use a built-in list of target file type extensions. In the end the victim files will be renamed with the .5ss5c extension.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer machine and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly restore them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will blackmail the victims to pay them a decryption fee. Sensitive user data may be encrypted by the ransomware code.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss .5ss5c Virus.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
As of January 16 there is additional information available about the .5ss5c virus. According to a separate security report the virus has been in development since at least November last year. An analysis of the virus shows that it includes several important components which are triggered by the built-in sequence — a downloader, separate infection module and a file checker. One of the first actions which are done by the virus upon infection will be confirm that all associated data is delivered. The unpacking sequence will then commence with then unpacking. The analysis shows that alongside the ransomware itself two other elements will be delivered — a Spreader (credentials bypass tool) module and a separate password theft utility.
The file scanning data will run with a loaded exceptions list in order not to remove important system data. It will also interact with a process lookup function to stop any software associated with databases. One of the hijacked samples were found to expose the list of files that will be affected by the ransomware:
7z, bak, cer, csv, db, dbf, dmp, docx, eps, ldf, mdb, mdf, myd, myi, ora, pdf, pem, pfx, ppt, pptx, psd, rar, rtf, sql, tar, txt, vdi, vmdk, vmx, xls, xlsx, zip
An unknown .5ss5c virus has been detected and categorized as ransomware — a file-encrypting algorithm will be run on selected data and make it inaccessible. At the moment there is not much information available about the hackers or the ransomware. A very amount of sample are released in the wild giving us reasons to believe that it be still under development. There are a wide variety of techniques that are used to spread prospective virus samples. They include the following:
- Phishing Campaigns — The criminals can plan elaborate social engineering campaigns that will manipulate the victims into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate site or email message. The campaigns include the sending out of email messages and the hosting of fake download pages. They can include stolen or forged contents that looks like authentic images and text. To coerce the victims into interacting with the shown data the criminals will host the sites onto similar sounding domain names, in some cases the hackers will also include self-signed security certificates.
- Macro-Infected Documents — This is a popular strategy which relies on the preparation of documents across all popular formats: text files, spreadsheets, presentations and databases. When opened by the victims a prompt will be spawned asking them to enable the built-in macros. If this is done the virus code will be launched.
- Infected Application Installers — A very popular method relies on the creation of numerous setup bundles of popular software that are embedded inside of them. The hackers typically rely on them as they are frequently downloaded and by posting them onto various outlets such as hacker-controlled download portals and file-sharing networks the infections can be done very easy.
- Browser Hijackers — These are dangerous plugins made for web browsers which are often uploaded with fake or stolen credentials. The places where the users can expect to find them include official plugin repositories (where stolen developer credentials are used), as well as the numerous copycat download sites.
The security analysis shows that the current version of the .5ss5c virus is also being sent using the EternalBlue exploit and is set against Chinese users. This gives us reasons to believe that the criminals are probably using an automated hacking toolkit and have focused on a given territory.
A sample analysis gives detailed information about the possible consequences of an .5ss5c virus infection. There are several different variations which exhibit slightly different behavior. The more advanced version has the ability to interact with the installed web browsers by hijacking the user prompt and retrieving all stored data: history, bookmarks, account data, preferences and etc.
Advanced process control also shows that the virus is able to create multiple processes with different privileges that are designed to carry out extensive malware activity. Some of the common actions done by such threats include the following:
- Additional Virus Installation — The ransomware infection is capable of deploying other threats to the already compromised hosts. Popular options include miners, Trojans and hijackers.
- Trojan Operations — Some of the samples have been shown to include the ability to connect to a remote server and allow the hackers to have access to the machines. This is used to hijack data, take over control and cause other malware actions.
- System Changes — The virus engine can also modify key settings and configuration files. This can result in the inability to run certain settings and features of the operating system or certain user-installed applications.
- Files Removal — Some of the virus samples of this category can be programmed to delete sensitive files such as user photos or system backups.
We suspect that the ransomware engine will also be programmed to execute hacker-controlled commands — they will be relayed via the established network connection.
The ransomware engine will then be started. Like other popular threats the .5ss5c virus will encrypt target user data according to a built-in list of target file type extensions. Usually such operations will act against multimedia files, documents, archives, backups and etc. To mark the affected files the .5ss5c extension will be assigned to them. Some of the testing versions will encrypt only compressed files.
Remove .5ss5c Virus
If your computer system got infected with the .5ss5c Files ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Attention! SensorsTechForum strongly recommends that all malware victims should look for assistance only by reputable sources. Many guides out there claim to offer free recovery and decryption for files encrypted by ransomware viruses. Be advised that some of them may only be after your money.
As a site that has been dedicated to providing free removal instructions for ransomware and malware since 2014, SensorsTechForum’s recommendation is to only pay attention to trustworthy sources.
How to recognize trustworthy sources:
- Always check "About Us" web page.
- Profile of the content creator.
- Make sure that real people are behind the site and not fake names and profiles.
- Verify Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter personal profiles.
How to Remove .5ss5c Virus from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove .5ss5c Virus
Step 2: Uninstall .5ss5c Virus and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by .5ss5c Virus on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by .5ss5c Virus there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Step 4: Scan for .5ss5c Virus with SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
Step 5 (Optional): Try to Restore Files Encrypted by .5ss5c Virus.
Ransomware infections and .5ss5c Virus aim to encrypt your files using an encryption algorithm which may be very difficult to decrypt. This is why we have suggested a data recovery method that may help you go around direct decryption and try to restore your files. Bear in mind that this method may not be 100% effective but may also help you a little or a lot in different situations.
Simply click on the link and on the website menus on top, choose Data Recovery - Data Recovery Wizard for Windows or Mac (depending on your OS), and then download and run the tool.
Get rid of .5ss5c Virus from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall .5ss5c Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove .5ss5c Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Step 3 (Optional): Try to Restore Files Encrypted by .5ss5c Virus on your Mac.
Ransomware for Mac .5ss5c Virus aims to encode all your files using an encryption algorithm which may be very difficult to decode, unless you pay money.
This is why we have suggested a data recovery method that may help you go around direct decryption and try to restore your files, but only in some cases. Bear in mind that this method may not be 100% effective but may also help you a little or a lot in different situations.
.5ss5c Virus FAQ
What is .5ss5c Virus ransomware and how does it work?
.5ss5c Virus is a ransomware infection - the malicious software that enters your computer silently and blocks either access to the computer itself or encrypt your files.
Many ransomware viruses use sophisticated encryption algorithm how to make your files inaccessible. The goal of ransomware infections is to demand that you pay a ransom payment to get access to your files back.
How does .5ss5c Virus ransomware infect my computer?
Via several ways..5ss5c Virus Ransomware infects computers by being sent via phishing e-mails, containing virus attachment.
This attachment is usually masked as an important document, like an invoice, bank document or even a plane ticket and it looks very convincing to users.
After you download and execute this attachment, a drive-by download occurs and your computer is infected with the ransomware virus.
Another way, you may become a victim of .5ss5c Virus is if you download a fake installer, crack or patch from a low reputation website or if you click on a virus link. Many users report getting a ransomware infection by downloading torrents.
How to open ..5ss5c Virus files?
You can't. At this point the ..5ss5c Virus files are encrypted. You can only open them once they are decrypted.
Decryptor did not decrypt my data. What now?
Do not panic and backup the files. If a decryptor did not decrypt your ..5ss5c Virus files successfully, then do not despair, because this virus is still new.
One way to restore files, encrypted by .5ss5c Virus ransomware is to use a decryptor for it. But since it's a new virus, advised that the decryption keys for it may not be out yet and available to the public. We will update this article and keep you posted as soon as this decryptor is released.
How Do I restore "..5ss5c Virus" files (Other Methods)?
Yes, sometimes files can be restored. We have suggested several file recovery methods that could work if you want to restore ..5ss5c Virus files.
These methods are in no way 100% guarantee that you will be able to get your files back. But if you have a backup, your chances of success are much greater.
How do I get rid of .5ss5c Virus ransomware virus?
The safest way and the most efficient one for the removal of this ransomware infection is the use a professional anti malware software. It will scan for and locate .5ss5c Virus ransomware and then remove it without causing any additional harm to your important ..5ss5c Virus files.
Also, keep in mind that viruses like .5ss5c Virus ransomware also install Trojans and keyloggers that can steal your passwords and accounts. Scanning your computer with an anti-malware software will make sure that all of these virus components are removed and your computer is protected in the future.
What to Do If nothing works?
There is still a lot you can do. If none of the above methods seem to work for you, then try these methods:
- Try to find a safe computer from where you can can login on your own line accounts like One Drive, iDrive, Google Drive and so on.
- Try to contact your friends, relatives and other people so that they can check if they have some of your important photos or documents just in case you sent them.
- Also, check if some of the files that were encrypted it can be re-downloaded from the web.
- Another clever way to get back some of your files is to find another old computer, a flash drive or even a CD or a DVD where you may have saved your older documents. You might be surprised what will turn up.
- You can also go to your email account to check if you can send any attachments to other people. Usually what is sent the email is saved on your account and you can re-download it. But most importantly, make sure that this is done from a safe computer and make sure to remove the virus first.
More tips you can find on our forums, where you can also asks any questions about your ransomware problem.