This article has been created in order to explain to you what is the League of Legends phishing scam and how you can remove them as well as all potentially unwanted programs delivered through them.
The League of Legends phishing scam is a worldwide campaigns that takes advantage of the game’s popularity in order to steal account credentials of the victim users. It has already impacted thousands of gamers across Europe and there is still no information about the perpetrators behind it. Our article gives an in-depth explanation of how it propagates and how victims can attempt to remove active infections.
|Name||League of Legends Phishing Scam|
|Type||Phishing email scam|
|Short Description||The League of Legends Phishing Scam is a malicious scam tactic that extorts the targets into entering their account credentials in a fake login prompt.|
|Symptoms||Victims will be shown a fake League of Legends login screen.|
|Distribution Method||Phishing emails, sites and etc..|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss League of Legends Phishing Scam.|
League of Legends Phishing Scam– Overview
Recently a team of security researchers has discovered that the popular computer game League of Legends is being abused by malicious operators into distributing a new phishing scam. At the moment the majority of victims coming from Europe: France, Spain and Germany.
It is distributed mainly as a fake web pages that are modeled after the legitimate League of Legends login screens. The security experts note that the perpetrators of the crime have hijacked the highest possible quality of content which makes it an almost identical copy of the real page. It is very difficult to find the differences without looking at the other warning signs — the sites are not hosted on the official domains and the security certificates (if available) will not be signed in the same way.
There are alternative ways that the infections can be spread as well. A prominent example would be the coordination of mass email messages. In most cases they will rely on popular social engineering methods — popular scenarios are those that rely on password reset, credentials reminders and other service notifications. In many cases they can be non-personalized which means that copies of real emails can be created with ease by the hackers behind the attack. In the body contents itself or a link itself the phishing site will be launched.
Another popular technique would be the distribution and installation of malicious app setup files. They are made by taking the legitimate game installation files from the official League of Legends site and modifying it to display the phishing page when it is interacted with.
The main reason of the League of Legends phishing scam seems to be credentials theft of the user accounts. However the page or malicious file can lead to infections with various additional threats. A list of the possibilities includes the following:
- Cryptocurrency Miners — A common infection that can be caused by the League of Legends phishing scam is the deployment of cryptocurrency miners. They can be launched by scripts or small module applications that are delivered with their own configuration file. Once they are started the associated engine will download complex mathematical tasks that will be executed by the local hosts. These calculations are resource-intensive and while the infections are active the performance can severely degrade. When the completed tasks are reported to the relevant servers the operators will receive profit in the form of cryptocurrency.
- Ransomware Infections — Using the phishing pages various ransomware can be deployed. These are among the most dangerous computer viruses as they have the main goal of encrypting user data with a strong cipher. This is often done using a built-in list of target file type extensions. When this process is complete the users will be left with inaccessible data along with a ransom note that will blackmail them into paying a “decryption fee”.
- Trojan Horse Infections — Another dangerous payload that can be deployed to the computers are Trojan horse infections. The League of Legends phishing scam can be programmed to install them. The classic behavior pattern associated with their use is the execution of a client program that will establish a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server. This will allow the hacker operators to spy on the victim computers at any given time. It also gives them the ability to retrieve any file and take over control of the machines.
- Data Collection — Various types of data collection scripts can be installed and run. They can harvest a lot of sensitive data about the machine and their owner. Examples of such include a report of the installed hardware components, user settings and operating system variables. Another consequence is the retrieval of sensitive user data — information that can directly expose the identity of the victim users: their name, address, phone number, location and etc. If an advanced data collection engine is used it can also access stored applications data including the installed web browsers.
We remind our users that threats like the League of Legends phishing scam can also be used for payment-related crime. They can redirect the users to payment pages that may look like legitimate content. The users can be persuaded into paying for special promotions, subscriptions or items that can help improve their game character. However upon entering their payment details their money will be hijacked by the hackers. A more dangerous scenario is when the financial information is automatically acquired from the computers without specific user interaction.
All of these possibilities showcase that it is vital that the League of Legends phishing scam needs to be removed as qucikly as possible.
Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Windows and Your Browser
If you want to remove the League of Legends Phishing Scamfrom your computer, we strongly suggest that you follow the removal instructions posted underneath this article. They have been created with the main idea In mind to help you delete this virus either manually or automatically. Be advised that according to experts the best way to try and remove the software that is causing the League of Legends pop-ups is to use an advanced anti-malware software. Such program is created with the idea in mind to fully scan your computer and try to eliminate any traces of unwanted programs while protecting your computer against future infections as well.
- Guide 1: How to Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of League of Legends Phishing Scam from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase League of Legends Phishing Scam from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall League of Legends Phishing Scam from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate League of Legends Phishing Scam from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove League of Legends Phishing Scam
Step 2: Uninstall League of Legends Phishing Scam and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by League of Legends Phishing Scam on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by League of Legends Phishing Scam there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of League of Legends Phishing Scam from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall League of Legends Phishing Scam and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove League of Legends Phishing Scam via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase League of Legends Phishing Scam from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall League of Legends Phishing Scam from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove League of Legends Phishing Scam from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the League of Legends Phishing Scam will be removed.
Eliminate League of Legends Phishing Scam from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.