The Softonic Virus is a popular threat which targets end users pretending to be affiliated with the popular Internet download portal. It has many versions which all propose to be official application or files associated with Softonic. The impact of the Softonic Virus can be devastating as different groups can create various threats carrying the Softonic signature or name. There a multitude of ways that the Softonic Virus can be delivered to the users. Read our article to learn more about the dangers of infection and how you can prevent them. Our guide also gives detailed instructions on removing active infections.
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Softonic download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Softonic Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Softonic Virus.|
Softonic Virus – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
Softonic as one of the most popular download portals has recently been associated with the creation of multiple viruses, fake sites and other Internet threats. There are many campaigns which are launched by different hacking groups, this means that there may be multiple versions of the Softonic virus active at the same time.
There are several popular distribution techniques under through which the Softonic virus can be spread:
- Macro-Infected Documents Script Installation — This is one of the most popular techniques which are used to spread PUP and malware threats like the Softonic virus. The hackers will include the installation code into macros that are made part of hacker-made documents across all popular file formats: text files, spreadsheets, presentations and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in code in order to view the contents, this will trigger the infection.
- Links in Hacker-Made Content — The hackers can send links and various multimedia content that will download the Softonic virus file to their computers. This is mainly done so via scam email messages and redirect sites.
- Dangerous Application Installers — Malware containing the Softonic name can be inserted in setup packages of often used applications.
- Web Browser Plugins — The strategy of embedding the malicious code into extensions that are made available for the most popular web browsers. The hackers will use fake developer credentials and upload them to the relevant repositories. The posted descriptions will promise new feature additions or performance improvement.
- File-Sharing Networks — All Softonic virus related malware files can be disguised as legitimate, safe and useful data that is commonly shared across file-sharing networks like BitTorrent.
As soon as the Softonic virus is deployed onto a given host it wil launch its main engine. Depending on the exact type of virus it may have a different impact on the system. For example browser hijackers will mainly harvest browser data and track the users web activity via the deployed tracking cookies. This is especially dangerous as this can include sensitive information, an example may be online banking credentials or email data.
Other malware forms can scan the memory of the infected hosts in order to scan if there are any security applications installed which will be bypassed. The known technique will look for a wide variety of services and running agents including the following:
Anti-virus programs, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual machine hosts and system cleanup utilities
If configured so the Softonic virus can program the same engine to collect sensitive information from the host. It is usually divided into two main types:
- Personal Data — The Softonic virus can be programmed to harvest data that can directly expose the identity of the victims.
- Machine Data — Any collected strings that are related to the infected hosts can be used to generate an unique ID that is to be assigned to the compromised computers.
When the intrusion has been made the Softonic virus will be free in order to cause as much system changes as necessary. This can be done depending on the local conditions (as evaluated during the information gathering phase) or by command of the hackers. Most infection types allow for the hackers to operate them remotely. This is done by triggering a Trojan component which establishes a secure connection to the operators and allows them to spy on the victims, deploy other threats and take over control of the systems at any time.
If any Windows Registry values are modified then the users may experience issues such as data loss, unexpected errors and the inability to start certain operating system functions.
Additionally the Softonic virus files may also be used to direct other threats to the compromised servers. This can range from the recruitment of the host to a worldwide botnet network to the installation of various ransomware, Trojans, miners and etc.
Remove Softonic Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Softonic Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Softonic Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Softonic Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.