The Softonic Virus is a popular threat which targets end users pretending to be affiliated with the popular Internet download portal. It has many versions which all propose to be official application or files associated with Softonic. The impact of the Softonic Virus can be devastating as different groups can create various threats carrying the Softonic signature or name. There a multitude of ways that the Softonic Virus can be delivered to the users. Read our article to learn more about the dangers of infection and how you can prevent them. Our guide also gives detailed instructions on removing active infections.
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Softonic download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Softonic Virus.|
Softonic Virus – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
Softonic as one of the most popular download portals has recently been associated with the creation of multiple viruses, fake sites and other Internet threats. There are many campaigns which are launched by different hacking groups, this means that there may be multiple versions of the Softonic virus active at the same time.
There are several popular distribution techniques under through which the Softonic virus can be spread:
- Macro-Infected Documents Script Installation — This is one of the most popular techniques which are used to spread PUP and malware threats like the Softonic virus. The hackers will include the installation code into macros that are made part of hacker-made documents across all popular file formats: text files, spreadsheets, presentations and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in code in order to view the contents, this will trigger the infection.
- Links in Hacker-Made Content — The hackers can send links and various multimedia content that will download the Softonic virus file to their computers. This is mainly done so via scam email messages and redirect sites.
- Dangerous Application Installers — Malware containing the Softonic name can be inserted in setup packages of often used applications.
- Web Browser Plugins — The strategy of embedding the malicious code into extensions that are made available for the most popular web browsers. The hackers will use fake developer credentials and upload them to the relevant repositories. The posted descriptions will promise new feature additions or performance improvement.
- File-Sharing Networks — All Softonic virus related malware files can be disguised as legitimate, safe and useful data that is commonly shared across file-sharing networks like BitTorrent.
As soon as the Softonic virus is deployed onto a given host it wil launch its main engine. Depending on the exact type of virus it may have a different impact on the system. For example browser hijackers will mainly harvest browser data and track the users web activity via the deployed tracking cookies. This is especially dangerous as this can include sensitive information, an example may be online banking credentials or email data.
Other malware forms can scan the memory of the infected hosts in order to scan if there are any security applications installed which will be bypassed. The known technique will look for a wide variety of services and running agents including the following:
Anti-virus programs, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual machine hosts and system cleanup utilities
If configured so the Softonic virus can program the same engine to collect sensitive information from the host. It is usually divided into two main types:
- Personal Data — The Softonic virus can be programmed to harvest data that can directly expose the identity of the victims.
- Machine Data — Any collected strings that are related to the infected hosts can be used to generate an unique ID that is to be assigned to the compromised computers.
When the intrusion has been made the Softonic virus will be free in order to cause as much system changes as necessary. This can be done depending on the local conditions (as evaluated during the information gathering phase) or by command of the hackers. Most infection types allow for the hackers to operate them remotely. This is done by triggering a Trojan component which establishes a secure connection to the operators and allows them to spy on the victims, deploy other threats and take over control of the systems at any time.
If any Windows Registry values are modified then the users may experience issues such as data loss, unexpected errors and the inability to start certain operating system functions.
Additionally the Softonic virus files may also be used to direct other threats to the compromised servers. This can range from the recruitment of the host to a worldwide botnet network to the installation of various ransomware, Trojans, miners and etc.
Remove Softonic Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Softonic Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Softonic Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Softonic Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Softonic Virus from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Softonic Virus on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Softonic Virus in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Softonic Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Softonic Virus from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Softonic Virus from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Softonic Virus from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Softonic Virus Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Softonic Virus from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Softonic Virus
Step 2: Uninstall Softonic Virus and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Softonic Virus on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Softonic Virus there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Softonic Virus from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Softonic Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Softonic Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Softonic Virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Softonic Virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Softonic Virus from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Softonic Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Softonic Virus from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Softonic Virus from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Softonic Virus will be removed.
Eliminate Softonic Virus from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Softonic Virus from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".