The article will help you to remove TurboMac Mac OS X PUP fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
TurboMac Mac OS X PUP is a virus threat that can can cause malicious actions to the infected systems. Our in-depth removal article shows how the threat behaves and how victim users can remove active infections.
|Type||Adware with redirect scripts|
|Short Description||A dangerous infection that will lead to pop-ups generation and can execute different malicious actions.|
|Symptoms||Victims may experience system performance issues and will see ads and other obtrusive scripts.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads, malicious scripts and other methods.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by TurboMac |
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss TurboMac.|
TurboMac Mac OS X PUP – How Did I Get It
The infection can be acquired by running into any one of the popular distribution methods. A main method is the coordination of phishing SCAM messages that are sent in bulk to the targets. The PUP setup file may be attached directly or linked in the body contents. The messages themselves are designed as usual notifications that have been sent by popular Internet services or sites that the users might use.
Many of the infections can be caused by installing a malicious payload. There are two main types that are popular with criminals:
- Infected Documents — All popular document types can be modified to include scripts (macros) that can lead to the virus infection — rich text documents, spreadsheets, presentations and databases. Once they are opened by the users a prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in macros. If this is done the virus infection will follow.
- Application Installers — The malicious scripts can also be included in setup files for popular end-user software. The hackers take the legitimate files from the official vendor sites and modify them with the appropriate virus installation code. They are then distributed using one of the above-mentioned methods.
In certain situations the hackers can use malicious web browser plugins — they are dangerous extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are often uploaded to the associated repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their typical behavior is to manipulate the target browsers into redirecting to a specified address. Following this the TurboMac Mac OS X PUP will be installed.
TurboMac Mac OS X PUP – More Information
The TurboMac Mac OS X PUP is a typical case of a malicious instance that infects users on a global scale. Its main goal is to modify the installed web browsers into displaying ads, scripts, banners and other content which includes intrusive contents. This is done because the hacker operators will receive income based on the user interaction. When the ads are displayed in such a way the users will have no way of countering this behavior. Furthermore the built-in commands can redirect the users to the ads. As the attacks usually originate from the web browsers the hackers can also retrieve all stored content: cookies, bookmarks, settings, form data and account credentials.
There is also the possibility to install cryptocurrency miners to the infected hosts. They will make use of the available system resources in order to carry out complex calculations. When the reports of the successful operations are received by the respective user digital currency in the form of Bitcoin or some of its alternatives (for example Monero) will be automatically credited to the hacker’s wallets.
Many of the adware malware such as this one can also launch a data information module configured to extract data that can be categorized into two main groups:
- Personal Data — The TurboMac Mac OS X PUP can automatically look for strings that can expose the identity of the users: name, address, phone number, location, interests and any stored account credentials.
- Campaign Metrics — The other data type is used by the hackers to optimize the attacks. It is usually made by collecting a report on the installed hardware components together with certain user settings and operating system values.
If configured so the TurboMac Mac OS X PUP can lead to a Trojan infection — the built-in code will connect to a hacker-controlled server and report the compromised host. This also allows the criminals to take over control of the hosts, steal their files and spy on the users.
Many malware Mac OS apps are instituted to the hosts as persistent threats — this means that the threat will automatically launch once the computer is powered on. It may also interfere with the ordinary execution of system services and user-installed applications. An additional problem is the creation of additional files following the apps’s removal. If the setup file is instructed to do so it may place auxiliary data which will be retained following the deletion of the main app. These files can contain engines of their own and carry out malicious actions.
Remove TurboMac Mac OS X PUP 2018 PUP
If you want to remove the TurboMac Mac OS X PUP unwanted software from your Mac machine we recommend that you use a specific anti-malware for Mac machines. The main goal of such a program is to scan your machine and terminate the files with malicious behavior and also clean up any malicious code in your repositories. In addition, with a specific anti-malware program, your computer will remain with a better protection and stay healthy performance-wise in the future.
- Guide 1: Get rid of TurboMac from Mac OS X.
- Guide 2: Remove TurboMac from Google Chrome.
- Guide 3: Erase TurboMac from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 4: Uninstall TurboMac from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 5: Delete TurboMac from Safari.
- Guide 6: Eliminate TurboMac from Internet Explorer.
Get rid of TurboMac from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall TurboMac and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove TurboMac via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove TurboMac files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as TurboMac, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove TurboMac from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase TurboMac from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall TurboMac from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Delete TurboMac from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the TurboMac will be removed.
Eliminate TurboMac from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.