|Short Description||The threat can connect to a remote host and download malware to the PC.|
|Symptoms||Alerts from the AV software.|
|Distribution Method||Unsafe browsing.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool, to See If Your System Has Been Affected By TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo|
Trojan horses have affected thousands of users on a global scale. There are different types of Trojan attacks, depending on what information cyber criminals are attempting to steal. Trojan downloaders are quite common among home users. Microsoft has recently detected a new threat of the kind. It is dubbed TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo. Once installed, the Trojan will use code injection to prevent detection and avert removal. Furthermore, TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo can inject malicious code into running processes.
TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo Technical Review
Read More about Trojan Horse Attacks
As the name suggests, a Trojan downloader downloads malware and unwanted programs onto the victim’s PC. There is no way to determine what type of malicious software cyber crooks seek to distribute across the Web. That is why it is crucial to maintain trusted AV software and develop healthy user habits. What does this mean?
- Avoid unsafe browsing.
- Avoid p2p file sharing.
- Use services such as VirusTotal to determine if a domain is malicious or not.
- Enable the Windows Firewall. An additional one can also be installed.
- Always research software you intend to download, especially freeware and shareware products.
- Enhance your browser security settings to prevent random pop-up ads and social engineering scams like phishing.
- Don’t open emails from unknown senders, especially when you are prompted to click on an attached image or file.
In terms of Trojan downloaders’ distribution – being negligent about the prevention tip listed above may have brought it to your PC.
Microsoft reports that TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo can connect to a remote host. Researchers have determined that the remote location is the following:
www.betaleaf.net using port 80
Once the connection is established, the malware piece can do any of the following operations:
- Find an Internet connection.
- Download and execute files, updates or malware.
- Receive configuration and instructions.
- Locate your PC and upload information from it.
- Validate a digital certificate.
TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo Removal Options
According to security experts, TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo can access online content. Unfortunately, its file name can be anything downloaded from the Web.
Finally, the only symptoms of the malicious intrusion can be the alerts from the AV software. Thus, it is critical to sustain an AV program. Also, keep in mind that combining several types of protection software is also an excellent option.
Our research team has compiled several easy-to-follow removal steps to rid the system of Trojan downloaders. However, using a malware scanner is still highly recommended. As already highlighted, there is no way to say what unwanted software has been downloaded to your PC.
Step 1: Start Your PC in Safe Mode to Remove TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo.
Removing TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo from Windows XP, Vista, 7 systems:
1. Remove all CDs and DVDs, and then Restart your PC from the “Start” menu.
– For PCs with a single operating system: Press “F8” repeatedly after the first boot screen shows up during the restart of your computer. In case the Windows logo appears on the screen, you have to repeat the same task again.
– For PCs with multiple operating systems: Тhe arrow keys will help you select the operating system you prefer to start in Safe Mode. Press “F8” just as described for a single operating system.
3. As the “Advanced Boot Options” screen appears, select the Safe Mode option you want using the arrow keys. As you make your selection, press “Enter“.
4. Log on to your computer using your administrator account
While your computer is in Safe Mode, the words “Safe Mode” will appear in all four corners of your screen.
Removing TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo from Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 systems:
Whilst holding down Shift button, click on Power and then click on Restart.
A menu will appear upon reboot. You should choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding number and the machine will restart and boot into Safe Mode so you can scan for and remove TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo.
Step 2: Remove TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo automatically by downloading an advanced anti-malware program.
To clean your computer you should download an updated anti-malware program on a safe PC and then install it on the affected computer in offline mode. After that you should boot into safe mode and scan your computer to remove all TrojanDownloader:AutoIt/Gedo associated objects.