This article will aid you to remove DABLIO Virus. Follow the ransomware removal instructions provided at the end of the article.
DABLIO Virus is one that encrypts your data and demands money as a ransom to get it restored. Files will be prepended with the “encrypted” string. The DABLIO Virus will leave ransomware instructions as a desktop wallpaper image. Keep on reading the article and see how you could try to potentially recover some of your locked files and data.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files by placing the “encrypted” string in the file names on your computer system and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files and leave a ransom note with payment instructions.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by DABLIO |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss DABLIO.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
DABLIO Virus – Distribution Techniques
The reports stating the DABLIO virus’s detection do not reveal much information about the way the samples are distributed. This probably means that the collected samples are distributed as a test sample or are limited to a certain list of intended targets. Whatever the case in all cases if the intrusions prove successful the hackers will probably use widespread campaigns and several of the popular methods to increase the number of infected victims.
One of the popular methods is the use of email SPAM messages that containing various phishing and social engineering elements. They are made in order to confuse and coerce the recipients into thinking that they have received a legitimate message notification from a well-known company or an Internet service that they might use. The messages themselves may contain links to the ransomware itself or the virus can be directly attached.
A similar phishing strategy involves the creation of malicious web sites that are designed to spoof vendor pages, download portals and other elements. They can spread the virus files or any of the infected payload carriers. There are two popular types:
- Infected Documents — The criminals behind the DABLIO virus can embed the infection code into the most popular document types: spreadsheets, presentations, text documents and databases. Whenever they are opened a message will appear asking the users to enable the built-in macros. This will trigger the DABLIO virus download sequence which will result in its deployment.
- Setup Files — The other popular strategy is the insertion of the virus code in application installers. The hackers will typically choose popular software which computer users generally search. When they are installed the setup procedure will deploy the infection.
Large infections can be done by instructing browser hijackers to carry the payload. They are generally made for the most popular web browsers and are uploaded to their respective repositories. Their descriptions will include promises of new feature additions or performance optimizations. As soon as they are installed their built-in behavior patterns will be run. In most of the cases modifications to the settings will be done following the virus’s delivery.
DABLIO Virus – Detailed Analysis
As soon as the Dablio virus has started it will start its built-in behavior pattern. The collected samples do not exhibit anything other than the ransomware module itself. This means that the samples are possibly early development versions or testing releases. These early samples have been found to be written in Python allowing them to be extended further by adding various module to the base threat.
Typical virus infections can start with information gathering of sensitive user data. All gathered data can grouped into one of these two categories:
- Personal Information — This group of data can reveal information about the user which can be used to expose their identity: real name, address, phone number and even stored account credentials.
- Anonymous Metrics — This subset of data can be used to create an unique ID associated with every compromised machine. This is done by generating a report of the installed hardware components, operating system environment values and certain user settings.
If other modules are installed they can make use of this information. A popular example is the security bypass which can identify applications and services that can stop the Dablio virus infection. The usual suspects are anti-virus software, firewalls and sandbox environments. As soon as their real-time engines are detected they will be disabled.
When these two modules have finished running the Dablio virus will have the ability to conduct all kinds of System modifications. A partial list of the possible functionality exhibited by future strains of the ransomware is the following:
- Windows Registry Entries Modifications — The virus may look for specific Windows Registry entries belonging to the operating system or to third-party apps. Such modifications can render certain functions non-working. More serious changes can even disable them.
- Persistent Installation — The Dablio virus may be installed in a way which will make manual user recovery very difficult. This is usually done by modifying boot options and configuration files into starting the malicious engines as soon as the computer is powered on.
- Data Removal — The engine can identify and remove important files such as system backups and Shadow Volume Copies. In these cases the victims will need to use a backup software together with the anti-spyware recovery utility.
- Additional Malware Delivery — Such infections can be used as payload carriers for other malware. The reason why this is considered as an option is because the virus would have first penetrated the target machines and bypassed any security measures. All popular forms of malware can be considered — Trojans, miners, browser hijackers and etc.
Other features can be added interactively if the Dablio virus is bundled with a Trojan. This would allow the hackers to spy on the users and also take over control of their machines at any given time.
Update: Further information about this ransomware has been found. A security researcher reveals that it is based on an older Python ransomware calledHolyCrypt. This confirms the suspicion that the hacker or criminal collective is not experienced in order to base it on older code. It is possible that much of the functionality as encountered on the base threat will be retained.
DABLIO Virus – Encryption Process
As soon as all prior components have finished running the actual ransomware module will be started. Like other popular threats it will use the built-in list of target file type extensions to select what data will be encrypted. An example list is the following:
All victims files will be prepended with the “encrypted” string. The associated ransomare note will be created in a document. Some of the samples also use a lockscreen which will block the ordinary interaction with the computer. The message reads the following:
Good Morning. Good afternoon. Good evening.
I’m sorry to inform you that your computer was ENCRYPTED.
ALL YOUR FILES WERE COMMITTED.
PAY TO HAVE YOUR FILES NORMAL CONDITION.
DO NOT WORRY! EVERYTHING WILL BE BACK.
ACCESS THE WEBSITE WWW.LOCALBITCOIN.COM AND MAKE THE PURCHASE OF
THE BITCOINAND TRANSFER OF THE BITCOIN TO MY WALLET.
AFTER WE SEND UNLOCK CODE OF YOUR FILES.
Cry nnow. Laugh Later.
Enter Key for Unloked your Computer and Files!
Remove DABLIO Virus and Try to Restore Data
If your computer system got infected with the DABLIO ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.