The Omegle Phishing Virus is a popular web threat which is spread across the Internet posing as an official chat site. The many virus samples are fake copies and/or attempt to fraud the victims into believing that they have accessed a safe resource. Read our in-depth Omegle Phishing Virus removal guide to learn how to protect yourself from danger.
|Name||Omegle Phishing Virus|
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Xtube download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Omegle Phishing Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Omegle Phishing Virus.|
Omegle Phishing Virus – How Did I Get It
The Omegle phishing virus infections can be acquired via different sources. What’s unique about this virus is that it does not refer to a single malware but a whole family of related threats. Several hackers and groups can launch attacks at the same time leading to infections with different samples.
Most of the distribution techniques that are used rely on various phishing scams by making the victims think that they are accessing legitimate and safe contents and sites that come from the official Omegle site. There are several common forms which drive the infections:
- Malware Websites — The criminals can create copycat sites or ones that may appear as related to the legitimate Omegle video chat portal. This is done by copying down the landing page and certain elements or creating entirely new portals that share a similar design and text. To make them appear as safe the hackers can also host them on addresses that sound very similar to the official Omegle home page. They can also include security certificates that can be either self-signed, stolen or fake.
- Email Messages — The hackers can send out email messges in bulk, very similar to SPAM messages, that will take common forms of notifications. Examples include password reset reminders, special offfers, prizes, promos and account update prompts. If they interact with any content the associated Omegle phishing virus will be deployed.
- Browser Hijackers — These are dangerous malicious plugins that may be described as being affiliated to the Omegle video chat portal. They are made for the most popular web browsers and are uploaded to their relevant repositories, often with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their descriptions will promise new features or certain optimizations that are related to Omegle.
Another distribution technique is the embedding of the installation code into various files that may be opened by the potential victims. This can include almost all popular document formats: presentations, text documents, databases and spreadsheets. As soon as they are opened by the users a prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in scripts, the most popular reason which is quoted is to correctly read the contents of the files. When this is done the virus infection will follow. The other payload dropper can be a malicious setup package — these are dangerous application installers of popular software which is often acquired by the end users. This can include any of the following: system utilities, creativity suites, office and productivity apps and even computer games.
All of these files can be spread via file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both pirate and legitimate files can be shared freely among the users.
Elaborate and large-scale campaigns can utilize another strategy wherein the hackers can use fake, stolen or specially made accounts and post links and the malware files directly in online communities: chat rooms, social networks and Internet forums.
Omegle Phishing Virus – What Does It Do?
The Omegle phishing virus can launch a variety of malicious actions depending on the actual type which is acquired. There cannot be a single description of the the consequences of having an active Omegle phishing virus deployed on a given system. There are two main types of infections — the web-based and standalone ones.
Depending on the actual type of virus which is obtained the victims can experience different symptoms. When this is connected to the web-based versions they will usually look for and identify any installed web browsers. The code will modify their configuration files so that the users are redirected to a set hacker-controlled site. In addition the stored information will be hijacked and sent to the operators: cookies, bookmarks, history, cache, settings and even any stored account credentials.
If the hackers redirect the victims to custom pages they can also encounter any of the malicious actions:
- Users Tracking — The hackers can deploy various cookie and other technologies that will constantly monitor the actions of the victims as they browser the sites. The collected information will be sent to the operators or uploaded to certain databases.
- Adware Content Display — The criminals can show adware in different forms to the victims: pop-ups, banners, text links and etc. For every displayed or interacted ad the operators will receive cryptocurrency directly into their wallets.
- Miner Infections — Some of the fake Omegle phishing virus sites can be programmed to install cryptocurrency miner threats which will download a sequence of complex task which will will take advantage of the available hardware resources. As soon as they are run the victims may experience severe performance issues by taking advantage of the hardware: CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc.
The Omegle phishing virus can also be found within various standalone files. In these cases a variety of malware actions can take place.As they can take many forms the virus files can launch a variety of components. In most cases the criminals will program the threats into installing themselves as a persistent threat. This means that they will be run as as soon as the computer is powered on. In some cases this step may also block accesss to the recovery options.
Following the successful intrusion the Omegle phishing virus will continue with the included modules. This can include a data gathering component which will be started in order to look for information that can expose the victims and their machines. The collected data can be used to carry out crimes such as identity theft, blackmail and financial abuse.
Using the gained intelligence another module can be used which will look for any installed security applications which will be bypassed and entirely removed. The list includes any of the following: anti-virus engines, firewalls, sandbox and debug environments and etc.
As soon as this step has completed the intrusion will continue further. A number of dangerous malicious components can be called , one of most popular ones is the manipulation of the Windows Registry strains. This can lead to the creation of new strings that are to be associated with the Omegle phishing virus and the editing of existing ones. The victims will experience performance issues, the inability to run certain functions and unexpected app and system errors.
Many of the Omegle phishing virus can be programmed into installing other malware, being used as payload droppers for them. A list of the common ones is the following:
- Trojans — These are standalone malware which will create a persistent and secure connection to a certain hacker-controlled server. It will allow the hackers to take over control of the victim machines, steal their data and edit out any configuration settings.
- Ransomware — These are dangerous file encrypting viruses which use a strong cipher that will target sensitive user data such as: documents, multimedia files, archives, backups, databases and etc. In the end the victim files will be renamed with a certain virus-specific extension and a lockscreen instance will be created in order to persuade the victims into paying the hackers a certain fee.
- Browser Hijackers — These are dangerous extensions which are made compatible with the most popular web browsers. They will manipulate the web browsers into opening up certain hacker-controlled pages and infecting them with other web-based threats.
Remove Omegle Phishing Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Omegle Phishing Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Omegle Phishing Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Omegle Phishing Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.