What is RedShot virus ransomware? How does RedShot virus work? How to open RedShot virus files? How to remove RedShot virus and try to restore files, encrypted by it?
The RedShot virus virus is actually a ransomware infection, whose main idea is to make sure that you won’t be able to use your files anymore, until you pay ransom to the cyber-criminals who are behind it. The main idea of this is that your files get blocks of their data replaced with data from the AES encryption algorithm used by the RedShot virus. The virus then adds its own file extension and drops a ransom note file. This file’s main purpose is to get victims to pay ransom to get your files to be decrypted using the unique decryption key that is generated and held by the crooks. Read this article to learn how to remove RedShot virus from your computer and learn how to recover data encoded by it.
|Short Description||Aims to encrypt files and then ad its custom file extension to them.|
|Symptoms||Files are encrypted and cannot be opened. The RedShot virus also drops a ransom note file, containing the extortionist message.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments, Executable files|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by RedShot virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss RedShot virus.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
RedShot virus Virus – How Did I Get It and What Does It Do?
Security experts have reported the discovery of RedShot virus, a dangerous ransomware-as-a-service (RaaS) in an ongoing attack campaign. What we know about it is that it can be offered to different hacking groups for sale — the developers offer the code base to criminals. Interested buyers can select from different options and pay for a version that will suit their needs.
Infections with the RedShot virus are generally done via vulnerability exploitation — the criminals will attempt to use different methods in order to find potential weaknesses and execute the malicious code. Most of the distribution techniques rely on the following methods:
- Phishing Campaigns — The hackers will attempt to manipulate the victims into infecting themselves by sending out email messages containing various types of notifications and files.
- Malware Files — The hackers can create a variety of malware carrier files which are usually documents of popular formats or hacker-made bundle installers.
The malicious files can be uploaded to various file-sharing networks or placed in hacker-controlled sites by means of web injection or triggering infection scripts. According to the available information the RedShot virus files are delivered as randomly-named executable files.
As this ransomware is a type of RaaS the hackers behind the attack campaigns can embed all kind of modules. According to the specific configuration this can include the following common functionality:
- Data Gathering — The RedShot virus can be programmed to extract a lot of detailed information about the machines and the victim users. This can be fed to a special algorithm that will output an unique victim ID. The collected data can also be used for other crimes such as identity theft and blackmail.
- Virus Installation — The RedShot ransomware can be used to deploy other threats to the hosts: Trojans and miners are the most popular ones.
- System Settings Changes — The virus engine can be used to modify key configuration files and system settings. The consequences can include edits to the Windows Registry, automatic startup of the RedShot virus when the computer boots and etc. In most cases this can lead to severe performance problems and data loss.
When every module has finished running the encryption phase will be started. The analysis shows that a common behavior will be run — a list of target file types will guide a strong cipher into processing them.
The generated ransom note will guide the victims into opening a web page on the TOR anonymous network and paying the hackers a “decryption fee” in cryptocurrency.
Remove RedShot Virus and Try Restoring Files
To remove RedShot virus from your computer, we strongly recommend that you read the instructions underneath. They have been created with the primary purpose to help you remove the RedShot virus files and try to restore all encrypted data. For a faster and effective removal, we strongly recommend that you download and run a scan of your computer using a professional malware removal software. Such program has been made with the main idea to help you erase all traces of the RedShot virus from your machine by scanning for its files and objects. It can also protect you from future threats and intrusive software of this type.