The Casbaneiro Trojan is a dangerous malware threat which is designed mainly for Microsoft Windows computers. It can be acquired from various sources, every attack campaign can focus on one specific tactic. Usually virus infections like this one are made by interacting with an infected file — this can be either a macro-infected document or a hacker-made software installer. They are often made by taking the legitimate files from their official sources and modifying them with the necessary virus code. Other data can also be affected. All kinds of other data may be used as well — this includes malicious plugins for web browsers and etc. In other cases the hackers can use a direct attacks that will look for system vulnerabilities and weaknesses. If any are found then the Casbaneiro Trojan will be installed.
This particular threat is known for being spread using a multitude of weaknesses. It is set against both end users and servers. After the infection has been made the Casbaneiro Trojan can download other threats, launch multiple dangerous modules and install a cryptocurrency miner which will run a sequence of performance-demanding tasks.
|Type||Malware, Trojan, Miner|
|Short Description||A dangerous malware which can launch a miner and start a Trojan module.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Common distribution tactics and direct web attacks.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Casbaneiro Trojan.|
Casbaneiro Trojan — How Did I Get It
The Casbaneiro Trojan is a dangerous banking Trojan that in the moment is featured in a massive campaign attack Mexico and Brazil. There is no information regarding the hackers behind it however it is speculated that they are very experienced in order to have created this malicious threat.
The main technique is the creation and coordination of large-scale phishing campaigns which will impersonate personal messages, service notifications and etc. They may include familiar looking design layout and contents in order to entice the victims into clicking on them. Depending on the actual setting a different delivery pathway can be used:
- Direct Download — Upon clicking on the emails the victim users will directly download the files onto their computers.
- Payload Delivery — The hackers can use scripts and code that are placed inside payload carriers, files which are delivered through the email messages and hacker-made sites. The most common variant is the distribution of a macro-infected document which can be of all popular formats: text files, presentations, databases and spreadsheets. When opened they will request that the users enable the scripts in order to correctly view the contents.
- Site Redirect — Upon clicking on the links or multimedia content the victims will be redirected to a hacker-controlled page from where the Casbaneiro Trojan can be installed.
Another possible route of infection is the distribution of the malware files via other mechanisms. This can include the uploading of the data on file-sharing networks such as BitTorrent which are widely used to spread both pirate and legitimate data.
They can use be uploaded to social networks by the use of hacked or automatically made profiles. This can be done both in the profiles, groups, pages and even private messages.
Casbaneiro Trojan — Capabilities
The Casbaneiro Trojan follows the typical infection sequence by first launching a module responsible for data gathering — the engine will hijack personal user information and also machine information. This is done in order to extract sensitive data that can be used for other crimes as well. The security research shows that the following information is acquired:
- All installed anti-virus software
- Operating System Information
- Name of the Computer User
- Computer Name
If configured so this will allow the virus to remove all identified security services. As the Trojan has access to the whole computer it can also steal the contens of the users clipboard and even manipulate it. This is particularly useful when it comes to online banking activities — the virus can automatically sense if the victims are browsing a bank and manipulate the fields in order to hijack their funds.
The commands that are sent from the hacker-controlled servers allows for other malware to be deployed onto the infected machines. In addition the Trojan can mask itself as popular apps including Spotify and other commonly accessed software. Some of the system changes that are performed include the following:
- Persistent Installation — The Casbaneiro Trojan can be installed as a persistent threat by automatically launching as soon as the computer is powered on. It can block access to the recovery boot options and also bypass some system services.
- Passwords Theft — The engine will automatically harvest sensitive data including passwords and account credentials.
- Other System Changes — This can include the manipulation of the Windows Registry, system configuration files and etc. The consequences include performance issues, the inability to launch certain commands and services and unexpected errors that can be paired with data loss.
- Data Removal — The Trojan engine can remove data such as backups, restore points and other related files.
Like other familiar Trojans it can also be used to install various malware threats such as ransomware and cryptocurrency miners. This is particularly important as they will be able to able to fully compromise the systems without worrying that any installed security software will block their deployment sequence.
How to Remove Casbaneiro Trojan
In order to fully remove Casbaneiro from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see Casbaneiro or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your computer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of Casbaneiro files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Casbaneiro Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Casbaneiro Trojan on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Casbaneiro Trojan in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Casbaneiro Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Casbaneiro Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Casbaneiro Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Casbaneiro Trojan from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Casbaneiro Trojan Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Casbaneiro Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Casbaneiro Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall Casbaneiro Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Casbaneiro Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Casbaneiro Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Casbaneiro Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Casbaneiro Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Casbaneiro Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Casbaneiro Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Casbaneiro Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Casbaneiro Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Casbaneiro Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Casbaneiro Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Casbaneiro Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Casbaneiro Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate Casbaneiro Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Casbaneiro Trojan from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".