The DriverFixer Malware is a dangerous weapon used against computer users worldwide. It infects mainly via phishing email messages. Our article gives an overview of its behavior according to the collected samples and available reports, also it may be helpful in attempting to remove the virus.
|Name||Driver Fixer Malware|
|Short Description||The DriverFixer Malware is a scam program that is designed to infiltrate computer systems.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Phishing Messages, Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Driver Fixer Malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Driver Fixer Malware.|
DriverFixer Malware – Distribution Methods
The is a fraud system optimization utility which is being delivered to computer users worldwide using several methods at once. At the moment there is no information available about the hacker collective.
Computer users can receive SPAM email messages that pose as legitimate notifications from well-known services, products and companies. They make use of stolen or hijacked multimedia content that may confuse the usesr. The most direct way to deploy the threats by using links and content of various types: links, images, videos and etc. The other possibility is that the malware files can be directly attached.
Many infections can be caused by the creation of malicious web sites — they can pose as legitimate and safe sources such as download portals, search engines, landing pages and etc. They are hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and self-signed security certificates.
The DriverFixer malware can be placed in payload carriers of which there are two main types:
- Document Files — The criminals can embed scripts (macros) that lead to the DriverFixer malware across all popular formats: spreadsheets, rich text documents, databases and presentations. Whenever they are opened by the users a prompt will appear asking the users to enable the built-in code. The reason that is displayed by the program is usually to correctly view the file.
- Bundle Installers — Many virus infections like this one are caused by the inclusion of virus code in the software installers of popular applications. The hackers typically choose popular versions such as creativity suites, system utilities, productivity and office apps and etc. They are usually spread on the custom malicious sites. What is more dangerous about them is that they can be part of trial, freeware or pirate versions of software and be easily spread using many different mechanisms.
Many of the large-scale attack campaigns carrying it are caused by large-scale browser hijackers. They are dangerous plugins which are made compatible with the most popular web browsers. Most of them are uploaded to the relevant repositories using fake user reviews and developer credentials. The posted descriptions include promises of new feature additions and performance optimizations. At the same time if it is installed the DriverFixer malware will be deployed alongside any other threats.
The DriverFixer malware can also be found within files that are shared on peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent where both the standalone data and the payload carriers can be downloaded. These programs are widely used for distribution of both pirate and legitimate content.
DriverFixer Malware – Detailed Description
The collected samples of the Driver Fixer software are attributed to malicious files which have been reported in the security community. While a legitimate version of this program may be available, many of the instances found to use this name are malicious in nature. This fraud software will pose as a legitimate system utility which promises updates to the device drivers used by the operating system.
When started the program may start a fraud scan which will display a lot of errors and outdated packages which may not be true. In order to remedy the situation the users will be enticed into paying for the application in order to make it work or to unlock these features.
These applications have the ability to cause a lot of malicious actions to the compromised machines including the following:
- Persistent Installation — The Driver Fixer malware can install itself to the computer in a way which makes it very autostart every the computer is powered on. This is done by reconfiguring system files, boot options and system preferences. In many cases this renders manual user removal guides non-working as they require access to them. When this installation is preferred the only effective way to restore the affected computers is to use a professional-grade anti-spyware product.
- Data Removal — The engine can search for important and delete it in order to make recovery even more difficult: system restore points, backups and shadow volume copies.
- Windows Registry Changes — The Driver Fixer malware can create new strings in the Windows Registry and modify existing ones, as well as delete them. This can lead to severe performance issues. Unexpected errors, data loss and error messages are other symptoms that are common when this action has been executed.
- Additional Payload Delivery — Existing infections can be used to deploy other threats to the affected computers.
- Security Bypass — The Driver Fixer malware can automatically look for files and processes in memory that are owned by security software and services that can effectively block the virus. This includes all forms of anti-virus programs, sandbox and debug environments and virtual machine hosts.
- Information Harvesting — Another malicious action is to hijack personal information about the victim users themselves. This is done by searching for strings such as a person’s name, address, phone number, interests and account credentials.
Other actions can be included as defined by the criminals in future releases.
Remove DriverFixer Malware
If your computer system got infected with the DriverFixer Malware, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this Trojan as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the Trojan and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Note! Your computer system may be affected by Driver Fixer Malware and other threats.
Scan Your PC with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a powerful malware removal tool designed to help users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of Driver Fixer Malware.