The IRCBot Trojan is a dangerous Trojan which is being spread using the most popular tactics. However most of the infections have happened through payload delivery. The most common tactics include the following:
- Malware Documents — The related Trojan infection scripts can be embedded in the most popular file formats: text documents, presentations, databases and spreadsheets. As soon as the files are opened a notification prompt will be spawned asking the victims to enable the built-in macros. This is done by persuading the victims into thinking that this is required in order to view the contents of the file.
- Application Installers — The code analysis reveals that the Trojan code can be found within program setup files. The setup files can be set in the most popular applications: creativity suites, system utilities and even computer games.
- Website Scripts — The IRCBot trojan samples can be offloaded to website scripts. This means that upon visiting them they can be automatically triggered.
Following the intrusion a secure and persistent connection will be made to a predesigned server. This allows the hacker operators to take over control of the infected hosts, steal their files and also deploy other threats. The main aim of the Trojan is to recruit the infected hosts to a worldwide botnet network. This will allow the operators to amass a very large number of hosts that allows the hackers to carry out various actions, including the following:
- Coordinating and carrying out distribute denial-of-service attacks.
- Proxy servers that will route the traffic via the infected computer
- Automatic Network Distribution
- Information Harvesting of various data from the victim computers. This includes any attached storage devices.
- Terminating or running certain processes and tasks
- File Upload and delivery
- Status Report
- Remote command line shells
- Settings Modification
- Power Events
There are other behavior patterns that can be run depending on the exact configuration.
|Type||Malware, Scam Hacking Program|
|Short Description||It is installed silently by other payload droppers.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Mainly via download sites and file sharing networks.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by IRCBot Trojan |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss IRCBot Trojan.|
IRCBot – How Did I Get It
The IRCBot Trojan can be spread using a variety of different tactics. There are many variants of it which are spread using various collectives. There may be many versions using the IRCBot name and alternatives as well. This allows the criminal collectives to launch a multitude of attacks bearing different versions of the malware.
One of the main techniques is the coordination of phishing email messages which coerce the victims to interact with the included content. They are designed to appear as legitimate notifications sent from well-known services and companies. The IRCBot Trojan files can be either attached or inserted as text links.
Hacker-made sites that pose as legitimate download portals, search engines and software product pages will scam the users into downloading and running the application. They are generally hosted on domains that sound similar to popular sources and may include self-signed security certificates.
To increase the number of infected victims the criminals can also place the IRCBot Trojan in payload carriers such as macro-infected documents and malware application bundles. They are widely downloaded from the Internet by end users and may be found on file-sharing sites as well like BitTorrent.
Such infections can also be spread via browser hijackers which are dangerous web browser extensions that are usually uploaded to the repositories of the most popular browsers.
IRCBot – What Does It Do
The IRCBot Trojan upon execution will start its infection process as soon as the infection occurs. Its main goal is to start a secure and persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server. It allows the criminals to take over control of the affected computers, steal their data and deploy other threats.
Such malware can execute many different tactics depending on the exact attack campaign. Most of them are used in order to serve as payload carriers for other threats. Popular options are the following:
- Data Theft — The IRCBot Trojan may include an information harvesting ability which is capable of acquiring data that ca directly expose the identity of the victim users.
- Machine Identification — Many similar threats are programmed to extract the list of installed hardware components ,specific operating system environment values and user settngs which are then processed by a special algorithm that will output an unique infection ID that is to be assigned to each different computer.
- Windows Registry Changes — The IRCBot Trojan can create entries for itself in the Windows Registry which can make its removal more difficult. If it edits existing values then serious performance issues can arise. Data loss and errors are a common side effect of this operation.
- Boot Menu Options Modification — Some IRCBot Trojan versions can modify the boot options in order to automatically start themselves when the computer is powered on. By disabling access to these options manual user removal guides can become worthless.
- Data Removal — The engine can be configured to locate and delete files such as system backups, restore files and shadow volume copies. This makes recovery much more difficult and in this case the use of a data recovery solution needs to be used.
Any future IRCBot variants can include other malicious actions as per the hacker’s instructions.
How to Remove IRCBot Trojan
In order to fully remove IRCBot from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see IRCBot or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your comptuer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of IRCBot files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.