The IRCBot Trojan is a dangerous Trojan which is being spread using the most popular tactics. However most of the infections have happened through payload delivery. The most common tactics include the following:
- Malware Documents — The related Trojan infection scripts can be embedded in the most popular file formats: text documents, presentations, databases and spreadsheets. As soon as the files are opened a notification prompt will be spawned asking the victims to enable the built-in macros. This is done by persuading the victims into thinking that this is required in order to view the contents of the file.
- Application Installers — The code analysis reveals that the Trojan code can be found within program setup files. The setup files can be set in the most popular applications: creativity suites, system utilities and even computer games.
- Website Scripts — The IRCBot trojan samples can be offloaded to website scripts. This means that upon visiting them they can be automatically triggered.
Following the intrusion a secure and persistent connection will be made to a predesigned server. This allows the hacker operators to take over control of the infected hosts, steal their files and also deploy other threats. The main aim of the Trojan is to recruit the infected hosts to a worldwide botnet network. This will allow the operators to amass a very large number of hosts that allows the hackers to carry out various actions, including the following:
- Coordinating and carrying out distribute denial-of-service attacks.
- Proxy servers that will route the traffic via the infected computer
- Automatic Network Distribution
- Information Harvesting of various data from the victim computers. This includes any attached storage devices.
- Terminating or running certain processes and tasks
- File Upload and delivery
- Status Report
- Remote command line shells
- Settings Modification
- Power Events
There are other behavior patterns that can be run depending on the exact configuration.
|Type||Malware, Scam Hacking Program|
|Short Description||It is installed silently by other payload droppers.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Mainly via download sites and file sharing networks.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss IRCBot Trojan.|
IRCBot – How Did I Get It
The IRCBot Trojan can be spread using a variety of different tactics. There are many variants of it which are spread using various collectives. There may be many versions using the IRCBot name and alternatives as well. This allows the criminal collectives to launch a multitude of attacks bearing different versions of the malware.
One of the main techniques is the coordination of phishing email messages which coerce the victims to interact with the included content. They are designed to appear as legitimate notifications sent from well-known services and companies. The IRCBot Trojan files can be either attached or inserted as text links.
Hacker-made sites that pose as legitimate download portals, search engines and software product pages will scam the users into downloading and running the application. They are generally hosted on domains that sound similar to popular sources and may include self-signed security certificates.
To increase the number of infected victims the criminals can also place the IRCBot Trojan in payload carriers such as macro-infected documents and malware application bundles. They are widely downloaded from the Internet by end users and may be found on file-sharing sites as well like BitTorrent.
Such infections can also be spread via browser hijackers which are dangerous web browser extensions that are usually uploaded to the repositories of the most popular browsers.
IRCBot – What Does It Do
The IRCBot Trojan upon execution will start its infection process as soon as the infection occurs. Its main goal is to start a secure and persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server. It allows the criminals to take over control of the affected computers, steal their data and deploy other threats.
Such malware can execute many different tactics depending on the exact attack campaign. Most of them are used in order to serve as payload carriers for other threats. Popular options are the following:
- Data Theft — The IRCBot Trojan may include an information harvesting ability which is capable of acquiring data that ca directly expose the identity of the victim users.
- Machine Identification — Many similar threats are programmed to extract the list of installed hardware components ,specific operating system environment values and user settngs which are then processed by a special algorithm that will output an unique infection ID that is to be assigned to each different computer.
- Windows Registry Changes — The IRCBot Trojan can create entries for itself in the Windows Registry which can make its removal more difficult. If it edits existing values then serious performance issues can arise. Data loss and errors are a common side effect of this operation.
- Boot Menu Options Modification — Some IRCBot Trojan versions can modify the boot options in order to automatically start themselves when the computer is powered on. By disabling access to these options manual user removal guides can become worthless.
- Data Removal — The engine can be configured to locate and delete files such as system backups, restore files and shadow volume copies. This makes recovery much more difficult and in this case the use of a data recovery solution needs to be used.
Any future IRCBot variants can include other malicious actions as per the hacker’s instructions.
How to Remove IRCBot Trojan
In order to fully remove IRCBot from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see IRCBot or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your comptuer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of IRCBot files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.
- Guide 1: How to Remove IRCBot Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of IRCBot Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove IRCBot Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase IRCBot Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall IRCBot Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove IRCBot Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate IRCBot Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove IRCBot Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove IRCBot Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall IRCBot Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by IRCBot Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by IRCBot Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of IRCBot Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall IRCBot Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove IRCBot Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove IRCBot Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as IRCBot Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove IRCBot Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase IRCBot Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall IRCBot Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove IRCBot Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the IRCBot Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate IRCBot Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.