Attention! This article will help you remove PayDay ransomware successfully. Follow the ransomware removal instructions below carefully.
PayDay ransomware is a Portuguese cryptovirus named after the popular game of the same name – Payday. The ransom price that it demands for decrypting your files is R$950 which is nearly 300 US dollars. The virus will encrypt your files and put the extension .sexy to every one of them. Read on to see ways for you to try and restore some of your files.
|Short Description||The ransomware will encrypt your files and then display a ransom note with instructions for payment in the Portuguese language.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files and put the extension .sexy to each one of them.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss PayDay Ransomware.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
PayDay Ransomware – Infection
PayDay ransomware can spread its infection using various methods. One of those methods is by distributing the payload as an executable file. That .exe file distributes the ransomware and when it is executed, the malicious script inside it infects your computer device. You can view the analysis of the executable in question, which contains the payload on the VirusTotal website, from the following screenshot:
PayDay ransomware could be spreading its payload on social media sites and services for file-sharing. The malicious script can be hidden inside the setup of applications, which are promoted as useful and legitimate. Do not be opening files from suspicious sources such as links and e-mails. You should always scan downloaded files with a security application and check their size and signatures for anything that seems irregular. You should read the tips about ransomware prevention from the corresponding forum topic.
PayDay Ransomware – Detailed Analysis
PayDay ransomware is a cryptovirus that uses an image in its ransom note taken from the popular video game “Payday”. That is also the theme of this virus.
When PayDay ransomware encrypts your files, it will place the extension .sexy as the extension of every file that is locked. The ransomware is highly likely to create entries in the Windows Registry to achieve persistence. Such registry entries can make the cryptovirus start automatically with every boot of the Windows operating system.
When the process of your files getting encrypted is finished, a screen with the ransom message will appear on your desktop. That message contains instructions for payment and the demands of the cybercriminals for unlocking your files in the Portuguese language. The file is called !!!!!ATENÇÃO!!!!!.html. You can view the ransom message from the picture below:
The ransom note reads the following:
Seus arquivos foram Sequestrados!
TODOS os seus documentos, banco de dados, downloads, fotos e outros arquivos importantes foram criptografados utilizando o algoritmo AES (mesma criptografia utilizada pelo governo do EUA) com uma senha alfa-numérica de 150 caracteres gerada a partir deste computador e enviada para um servidor secreto na Internet onde somente eu tenho acesso.
O que fazer?
Para obter essa senha e descriptografar seus arquivos, você terá que pagar uma quantia de R$950,00 em BTC (BITCOIN). Para efetuar o pagamento e obter a senha, siga este pequeno manual:
1. Crie uma carteira BTC aqui: ***blockchain.info/***
2. Compre R$950,00 BTC com dinheiro em: ***
3. Envie os BTCs comprados para o endereço: *****
4. Acompanhe a transferência em: ***blockchain.info/address/***
5. Após o pagamento ser confirmado, envie-me um email requisitando a Senha: CATSEXY@PROTONMAIL.COM
6. Logo após, enviarei um arquivo compactado contento dois arquivos: um Decrypter em .exe e a Senha em um .txt
O que é Bitcoin:
1. Ninguém pode te ajudar, a não ser eu!
2. Vocé tem apenas 120 Horas (5 dias) para efetuar o pagamento, caso o contrario eu deletarei a senha.
3. É inútil instalar/atualizar o software Anti Vírus, formatar o computador, fazer BO na delegacia, etc.
4. Seus arquivos só poderão ser descriptografados depois do pagamento.
5. Após vocé descriptografar seus arquivos, formate seu computador, instale um bom Anti Vírus e tome mais cuidado onde clica ;)
A rough English translation would look like the following:
Your files have been hijacked!
ALL of your documents, database, downloads, photos, and other important files were encrypted using the AES algorithm (same encryption used by the US government) with a 150 character alpha-numeric password generated from this computer and sent to a server Secret on the Internet where only I have access.
What to do?
To get this password and decrypt your files, you will have to pay an amount of $ 950.00 in BTC (BITCOIN). To make the payment and obtain the password, follow this small manual:
1. Create a BTC portfolio here: *** blockchain.info/***
2. Buy R $ 950,00 BTC with money in: ***
3. Send the purchased BTCs to the address: *****
4. Follow the transfer on: *** blockchain.info/address/***
5. After payment is confirmed, send me an email requesting the Password: CATSEXY@PROTONMAIL.COM
6. Soon after, I will send a compressed file containing two files: a decrypter in .exe and the Password in a .txt
What is Bitcoin:
1. No one can help you but me!
2. You only have 120 Hours (5 days) to make the payment, otherwise I will delete the password.
3. It is useless to install / update the AntiVirus software, format the computer, do BO in the police station, etc.
4. Your files can only be decrypted after payment.
5. After you decrypt your files, format your computer, install a good AntiVirus and be more careful where you click;)
The ransom price that the cryptovirus demands as payment for the decryption of your files is R$950 or nearly 300 US dollars. You are given five days to send the money to the e-mail address CatSexy@protonmail.com. You should NOT even be considering of paying the criminals any amount. That would only result in the crooks making more ransomware viruses with the money or support other criminal acts. Also, know that nobody can guarantee that your files will be restored if you pay the demanded ransom.
The PayDay ransomware encrypts files and appends the .sexy extension to each and every one of them. The encryption algorithm that is believed to be AES and malware researchers place it as a variant of the HiddenTear open-source project. A list with file extensions which the virus seeks to encrypt is not yet available, but you can see some of the extensions below:
→.doc, .docx, .pdf, .db, .jpg, .png, .ppt, .pptx, .txt, .xls, .xlsx
The PayDay cryptovirus is probably set to erase the Shadow Volume Copies from the Windows operating system by using the command given down below:
→vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all /Quiet
Continue to read and find out what types of methods you can try to restore at least parts of your data.
Remove PayDay Ransomware and Restore .sexy Files
If your computer got infected with the PayDay ransomware virus, you should have some experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as fast as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect more computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide given below. To see ways that you can try to recover your data, see the step titled 2. Restore files encrypted by PayDay.
- Guide 1: How to Remove PayDay Ransomware from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of PayDay Ransomware from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove PayDay Ransomware from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase PayDay Ransomware from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall PayDay Ransomware from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove PayDay Ransomware from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate PayDay Ransomware from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove PayDay Ransomware from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove PayDay Ransomware
Step 2: Uninstall PayDay Ransomware and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by PayDay Ransomware on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by PayDay Ransomware there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of PayDay Ransomware from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall PayDay Ransomware and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove PayDay Ransomware via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove PayDay Ransomware from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase PayDay Ransomware from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall PayDay Ransomware from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove PayDay Ransomware from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the PayDay Ransomware will be removed.
Eliminate PayDay Ransomware from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.