This article will aid you to remove Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware. Follow the ransomware removal instructions provided at the end of the article.
Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware is one that encrypts your data with and demands money as a ransom to get it restored. The Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware will leave ransomware instructions as text file. Keep on reading the article and see how you could try to potentially recover some of your locked files and data.
|Name||Spiteful Doubletake ransomware|
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer system and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files and leave a ransom note with payment instructions.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Spiteful Doubletake ransomware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Spiteful Doubletake ransomware.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware – Distribution Techniques
This particular ransomware has been captured during live attacks. However the relatively low number of samples shows that there is no information about the main methods used to distribute it. This means that it is possible for several different one to be used at the same time.
A preferred method for sending out virus files is through coordinated phishing email messages. They are sent in bulk and are modeled after the legitimate notifications sent by well-known companies, products and services. When the recipients interact with any of the elements the associated virus infection will occur. This is the case both with attached files and the body contents — text links, images and etc.
The criminals can also build fake web sites which can impersonate download portals, search engines, landing pages and etc. which can deliver the virus file instead of the real requested file. A similar technique is when such content is distributed on file-sharing networks like BitTorrent which is one of the most popular platforms for spreading pirate data.
Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware samples can also be delivered via other files, a technique called payload delivery. This is done by placing the necessary code into files of various types. Two of the payloads are most widely used carriers:
- Documents — The virus files can be delivered by scripts that are placed in the most popular document types: presentations, text files, databases and spreadsheets. Whenever they are opened by the users a prompt will appear asking the victims to run them in order to correctly view the document. This will actually lead to the Spiteful Doubletake ransomware installation.
- Setup Files — The hackers can take the legitimate installers of popular software and modify them with the necessary code. The usual choices are popular applications downloaded by most end users: system utilities, creativity suites, productivity and office apps and etc.
Large-scale campaigns can be made by ordering the creation of browser hijackers. They are dangerous plugins which are made compatible with the most popular web browsers and are usually uploaded to the relevant repositories. They are uploaded with fake developer credentials and user reviews and feature elaborate descriptions promising exciting feature additions and performance optimizations. In reality as soon as they are installed many modifications will be made to the browsers which will redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled site. In addition to that the virus will be silently placed on the victim machines.
Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware – Detailed Analysis
The Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware does not currently contain any advanced modules besides the ransomware engine. The initial code analysis shows that it doesn’t contain any code snippets from any of the famous malware families which is an indicator that the collective may be the authors of it.
Such viruses are usually upgraded with new functionality when the hackers are ready with the serious campaigns. Some of the upcoming additions include the following:
- Data Harvesting — The Spiteful Doubletake ransomware can be equipped with an information retrieval component. It is usually configured to extract both machine metrics and personal data about the victim users themselves. This step is necessary as it enables each individual computer to be assigned an unique infection ID. It is generated by an algorithm that takes its input parameters from the list of installed hardware components, user settings and operating system environment values. On the other hand personal user information can also be acquired — it is used to directly expose the identity of the victims by searching for strings like their name, address, phone number, location and even any stored account credentials.
- Security Bypass — Using the gathered information by the previous component the virus engine can search for applications and services that can block the virus executable: anti-virus programs, virtual machine hosts, firewalls and debug environments. They will be disabled or entirely removed.
- Windows Registry Changes — The engine can be configured to change the Windows Registry in various different ways. It can both create, edit and delete values in it which can affect both the operating system and any third-party applications. As a result severe performance issues can be caused which can make the system unstable. Unexpected errors can be caused by the code which can cripple the functionality of both services and products.
- Persistent Installation — The Spiteful Doubletake ransomware is able to change the boot options and configuration files to automatically start the virus threat as soon as the computer is powered on. This also renders most manual user removal guides non-working as access to the recovery menus can be blocked.
As the virus threat expands further on the compromised systems it will have the ability to load other threats. One of the most dangerous malware types that can be deployed are Trojans. They will establish connections with certain hacker-controlled servers which allows the criminals to take over control of the machines, steal the user information and spy on the victims in real-time.
Various other attack scenarios can be embedded as the hackers see fit.
Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware – Encryption Process
As soon as the ransomware engine is launched it will use the familiar tactic of using a list of target file type extensions. The Blowfish cipher is used with a hardcoded key to encrypt the user data. An example includes the following files:
The .enc extension will be placed to each affected file.
Remove Spiteful Doubletake Ransomware and Try to Restore Data
If your computer system got infected with the Spiteful Doubletake ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.