Baidu virus infections can happen through multiple ways. They take advantage of the name of the shopping site in order to promote themselves. The different virus attacks are being operated by different hacking groups and individuals — we have received reports of numerous campaigns that use the Baidu name in different elements. Most of them are related to malicious scripts that are found in redirects and pop-ups, as well as intrusive ads. Reading this article will help you protect yourself from bogus Baidu sites and virus infections.
|Short Description||Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous shopping site Baidu.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Baidu Virus.|
Baidu Virus — How Did I Get ItDo?
Baidu virus samples can be spread using different tactics depending on its actual form which is being used by the criminals. At any time there may be several iterations of the threat running at a single time by various criminal groups. If the Baidu virus is a web threat and ditributed as a malware site or script it can be spread using several common ways:
- Phishing Emails — The hackers can coordinate mass email phishing messages which pose as being sent by companies or services. They include links or scripts that will lead to the Baidu virus infection. The emails can originate from addresses that sound similar to the legitimate sources.
- Dangerous Web Sites — The hackers can also construct sites that impersonate well-known web portals: download sites, search engines, software landing pages and even game communities. To make them appear as more legitimate to the visitors the criminals can add in security certificates that can be stolen or self-signed.
- Browser Hijackers — These are dangerous plugins made for the most popular web browsers and are usually uploaded to their relevant repositories with fake user reviews and developer identities. The description will promise new features and performance optimizations that may be related to the Baidu site.
- Fake Profiles — The hackers can use fake or hacked profiles to post links to the Baidu virus sample. They can be posted on online forums, social networks and chats.
On the other hand executable versions of the Baidu virus threat may be spread over other mechanisms as well, for example file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both pirate and legitimate files are shared among the users.
Another popular technique is the creation of malicious application installers — the hackers typically take the legitimate setup files from their official sources and modify them accordingly. The code can also be placed macro-infected documents which can be of every popular file format: spreadsheets, presentations, text files and databases. As soon as they are opened a prompt will be spawned asking the users to enable the code in order to correctly view the contents. This will lead to the virus installation.
Baidu Virus — What Does It Do?
Depending on the exact version of the Baidu virus acquired by the users it can cause a wide variety of malicious actions. If the browser or web-based version has infected a given host we anticipate that common behavior will be followed. In the majority of such cases a hacker-controlled site is used in combination with dangerous code. The users will be redirected to it as a result of the infection. Usually the affected web browsers will have their settings changed so that it will always show the malware pages. Having access to the software programs the hackers will be able to hijack all stored within information: bookmarks, history, cache, settings, cookies and stored passwords.
When the infections are caused through the interaction with a browser hijacker it can deliberately slow down the performance of the infected host or produce browsing issues. When the malicious web site that is related to the Baidu virus is opened by the victims they can expect that at any time some of the following actions to occur:
- Tracking Cookies — As soon as the respective page is loaded it will immediately download several tracking cookies which are used to monitor the interactions of the users across the site. The sensitive analytical information is transmitted to the hacker operators in real-time.
- Adware Content Display — The web pages can display ad content of different kinds: banners, pop-ups, text links and etc. For every display or click the hackers will receive income from the sponsors.
- Other Redirects — At any time the made infections can be reprogrammed into delivering another type of malware.
- Phishing Schemes Delivery — As the Baidu virus pages can shift their tactics at any time in order to scam the victims into entering in their account credentials or other personal information.
On the other hand the executable forms of the Baidu virus can have an even more dangerous impact. They can access the system configuration and edit out sensitive files thus leading to even more malicious behavior. Commonly the virus forms will start the infection with a data harvesting component which can not only hijack data that can be used to identify the victims but also the machines. The collected information can be used for a variety of crimes including identity theft and financial abuse.
The harvested information can be used by another module in order to generate an unique ID which is associated which every infected host.
Following the intrusion the threat can be set to automatically start as soon as the computer is powered on. In advanced cases this can also disable access to the recovery boot options which will make it very difficult to follow most manual user recovery guides.
In certain situations the Baidu virus files can also modify the existing Windows Registry values or create new ones specifically for itself. This can lead to serious performance and stability issues, data loss and unexpected errors.
What’s more dangerous about the Baidu virus files is that they can be used to to deliver other malware. A dangerous example is the infection with a Trojan horse — these are stand-alone viruses which will create a constant connection to a hacker-controlled server. It allows them to take over control of the machines, steal their files and spy on the victims. Another popular threat which can be set against the users is the installation of cryptocurrency miners which are small scripts or stand-alone programs which take advantage of the available system resources: CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. Whenever one of the tasks are reported as complete another one will take their place. The hackers will also receive income in the form of cryptocurrency that will be directly wired to their digital wallets.
The majority of Baidu virus infections are programmed to execute various dangerous actions depending on the local machine conditions or hacker instructions. This is why we strongly recommend that users employ an advanced anti-spyware solution which can remove existing infections.
Remove Baidu Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Baidu virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Baidu Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Baidu Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Baidu Virus from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Baidu Virus on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Baidu Virus in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Baidu Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Baidu Virus from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Baidu Virus from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Baidu Virus from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Baidu Virus Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Baidu Virus from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Baidu Virus
Step 2: Uninstall Baidu Virus and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Baidu Virus on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Baidu Virus there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Baidu Virus from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Baidu Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Baidu Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Baidu Virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Baidu Virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Baidu Virus from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Baidu Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Baidu Virus from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Baidu Virus from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Baidu Virus will be removed.
Eliminate Baidu Virus from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Baidu Virus from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".