Baidu virus infections can happen through multiple ways. They take advantage of the name of the shopping site in order to promote themselves. The different virus attacks are being operated by different hacking groups and individuals — we have received reports of numerous campaigns that use the Baidu name in different elements. Most of them are related to malicious scripts that are found in redirects and pop-ups, as well as intrusive ads. Reading this article will help you protect yourself from bogus Baidu sites and virus infections.
|Short Description||Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous shopping site Baidu.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Baidu Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Baidu Virus.|
Baidu Virus — How Did I Get ItDo?
Baidu virus samples can be spread using different tactics depending on its actual form which is being used by the criminals. At any time there may be several iterations of the threat running at a single time by various criminal groups. If the Baidu virus is a web threat and ditributed as a malware site or script it can be spread using several common ways:
- Phishing Emails — The hackers can coordinate mass email phishing messages which pose as being sent by companies or services. They include links or scripts that will lead to the Baidu virus infection. The emails can originate from addresses that sound similar to the legitimate sources.
- Dangerous Web Sites — The hackers can also construct sites that impersonate well-known web portals: download sites, search engines, software landing pages and even game communities. To make them appear as more legitimate to the visitors the criminals can add in security certificates that can be stolen or self-signed.
- Browser Hijackers — These are dangerous plugins made for the most popular web browsers and are usually uploaded to their relevant repositories with fake user reviews and developer identities. The description will promise new features and performance optimizations that may be related to the Baidu site.
- Fake Profiles — The hackers can use fake or hacked profiles to post links to the Baidu virus sample. They can be posted on online forums, social networks and chats.
On the other hand executable versions of the Baidu virus threat may be spread over other mechanisms as well, for example file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both pirate and legitimate files are shared among the users.
Another popular technique is the creation of malicious application installers — the hackers typically take the legitimate setup files from their official sources and modify them accordingly. The code can also be placed macro-infected documents which can be of every popular file format: spreadsheets, presentations, text files and databases. As soon as they are opened a prompt will be spawned asking the users to enable the code in order to correctly view the contents. This will lead to the virus installation.
Baidu Virus — What Does It Do?
Depending on the exact version of the Baidu virus acquired by the users it can cause a wide variety of malicious actions. If the browser or web-based version has infected a given host we anticipate that common behavior will be followed. In the majority of such cases a hacker-controlled site is used in combination with dangerous code. The users will be redirected to it as a result of the infection. Usually the affected web browsers will have their settings changed so that it will always show the malware pages. Having access to the software programs the hackers will be able to hijack all stored within information: bookmarks, history, cache, settings, cookies and stored passwords.
When the infections are caused through the interaction with a browser hijacker it can deliberately slow down the performance of the infected host or produce browsing issues. When the malicious web site that is related to the Baidu virus is opened by the victims they can expect that at any time some of the following actions to occur:
- Tracking Cookies — As soon as the respective page is loaded it will immediately download several tracking cookies which are used to monitor the interactions of the users across the site. The sensitive analytical information is transmitted to the hacker operators in real-time.
- Adware Content Display — The web pages can display ad content of different kinds: banners, pop-ups, text links and etc. For every display or click the hackers will receive income from the sponsors.
- Other Redirects — At any time the made infections can be reprogrammed into delivering another type of malware.
- Phishing Schemes Delivery — As the Baidu virus pages can shift their tactics at any time in order to scam the victims into entering in their account credentials or other personal information.
On the other hand the executable forms of the Baidu virus can have an even more dangerous impact. They can access the system configuration and edit out sensitive files thus leading to even more malicious behavior. Commonly the virus forms will start the infection with a data harvesting component which can not only hijack data that can be used to identify the victims but also the machines. The collected information can be used for a variety of crimes including identity theft and financial abuse.
The harvested information can be used by another module in order to generate an unique ID which is associated which every infected host.
Following the intrusion the threat can be set to automatically start as soon as the computer is powered on. In advanced cases this can also disable access to the recovery boot options which will make it very difficult to follow most manual user recovery guides.
In certain situations the Baidu virus files can also modify the existing Windows Registry values or create new ones specifically for itself. This can lead to serious performance and stability issues, data loss and unexpected errors.
What’s more dangerous about the Baidu virus files is that they can be used to to deliver other malware. A dangerous example is the infection with a Trojan horse — these are stand-alone viruses which will create a constant connection to a hacker-controlled server. It allows them to take over control of the machines, steal their files and spy on the victims. Another popular threat which can be set against the users is the installation of cryptocurrency miners which are small scripts or stand-alone programs which take advantage of the available system resources: CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. Whenever one of the tasks are reported as complete another one will take their place. The hackers will also receive income in the form of cryptocurrency that will be directly wired to their digital wallets.
The majority of Baidu virus infections are programmed to execute various dangerous actions depending on the local machine conditions or hacker instructions. This is why we strongly recommend that users employ an advanced anti-spyware solution which can remove existing infections.
Remove Baidu Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Baidu virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Baidu Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Baidu Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.