This article will aid you to remove BSS Ransomware. Follow the ransomware removal instructions provided at the end of the article.
BSS Ransomware is one that encrypts your data with and demands money as a ransom to get it restored. The BSS Ransomware will leave ransomware instructions as text file. Keep on reading the article and see how you could try to potentially recover some of your locked files and data.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer system and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files and leave a ransom note with payment instructions.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by BSS ransomware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss BSS ransomware.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
BSS Ransomware – Distribution Techniques
The BSS ransomware is a new Hidden tear based virus threat which has been captured in its test forms. As it is based on older code we anticipate that it will use the most popular attack methods. Hidden Tear ransomware strains are mostly sent out via phishing email messages which scan the recipients into thinking that they have received a legitimate notification from a well-known company or product. The files can be linked directly or embedded as multimedia content or links.
The other technique is to embed the virus links in malicious web sites that are fake copies of legitimate domains: portals, download pages, landing pages and etc. To make them look more legitimate the hackers can use host them on domain names that are very similar to the real ones and also include security certificates.
To increase the number of infected clients the criminals can opt to include the virus code in infected payloads of which there are two popular types:
- Documents — The criminals can embed virus installation scripts in documents of all popular types: spreadsheets, presentations, databases and text documents. When they are opened by the users a message will appear asking them to enable to built-in content to correctly view them. This will trigger the infection.
- Application Installers — The other popular techniques is to insert the virus code into application installers of popular software that are often downloaded by end users. The list includes creativity suites, system utilities, optimizers and office apps. Whenever the files are executed the virus infection will be started.
Such data can also be spread on file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both legitimate and pirate content can be found.
Large-scale Hidden Tear infections are frequently orchestrated via browser hijackers — malicious plugins which are made compatible with most popular web browsers. These instances are uploaded both to fake download portals and the browsers repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials.
BSS Ransomware – Detailed Analysis
The captured BSS ransomware samples are early test releases, they do not feature any distinct malware components that are expected from Hidden Tear based are not found. This means that the future versions will probably follow the typical behavior patterns.
Threats like the BSS ransomware usually start by launching a data harvesting — it will scan the local contents, memory and any other storage locations (network shares and removable storage devices). Most Hidden Tear variants will generate a machine ID that is made by listing the installed hardware components, user settings and certain operating system environment values. If configured by the attackers it can also expose the identity of the victims by looking for their name, address, phone number, interest and even stored username and password combinations.
The collected information can then be processed further by the next component called security bypass which will scan the computer for the presence of any security software that can interfere with the virus process. This includes anti-virus programs, sandbox environments, virtual machine hosts and etc. If such an engine is detected it will be bypassed or completely removed.
The BSS ransomware has a modular code base allowing it to be programmed to carry out all kinds of malicious actions once it has obtained complete control of the target machines. Examples include the following:
- Process Creation and Modification — The ransomware can create its own processes and hook up to others, including systems ones. This allows it to spy on the victims in real-time.
- Windows Registry Changes — The virus can modify values in the Windows Registry belonging both to the operating system and any third-party installed apps. The changes can cause performance issues and make the computer completely unusable. Programs can quit with unexpected errors causing severe problems when using it.
- Boot Options Changes — One of the most dangerous aspects of ransomware infections is their ability to install themselves in a persistent way. This means that the main engine will reconfigure the Windows boot settings in order to automatically start itself every time the computer is powered on. This will additionally make it very difficult to remove using manual methods as the recovery boot menus will be disabled.
- Additional Payload Delivery — Hidden Tear variants are particularly useful to distribute other malware threats like Trojans, hijackers and miners.
Depending on the exact configuration the future BSS ransomware samples can have a much more dangerous effect on the infected machines.
BSS Ransomware – Encryption Process
As soon as all prior components have finished running the ransomware engine will be started. Like previous Hidden Tear variants it will search for data that is deemed important to the victims by using a built-in list of target file type extensions:
All compromised files will be renamed with the .bss_locked extension. Instead of a ransomware note the victims will be shown an application frame with the following message:
Files has been encrypted with ransomware
Send me some bitcoins or kebab
And I also hate desserts and coffee
By the way… the password is:
It is posible that future versions use it as a lockscreen instance which will block the normal operation of the affected machines until the threat is completely removed.
Remove BSS Ransomware and Try to Restore Data
If your computer system got infected with the CryTekk ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.