What is DoppelPaymer Files Virus DoppelPaymer Files Virus is also known as DoppelPaymer ransomware and encrypts users’ files while asking for a ransom.
The DoppelPaymer Files Virus is a dangerous new virus release which appears to be a newer version of the BitPaymer ransomware. It is programmed to infect as many computers as possible, process target user data and then extort the victims for a decryption fee.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer machine and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly restore them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will blackmail the victims to pay them a decryption fee. Sensitive user data may be encrypted by the ransomware code.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by DoppelPaymer |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss DoppelPaymer.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
DoppelPaymer Files Virus – Detailed Description
The DoppelPaymer files virus is a dangerous new ransomware which is based on an earlier threat known as BitPaymer. According to the available information the responsible hackers are a cybercrime group known as TA505 which are widely known for causing large-scale attacks against finance organizations and banks. The BitPaymer ransomware of which the DoppelPaymer files virus is descendant from was last spotted in a campaign against high-profile targets. The security analysis done of the last major attack shows that a majority of the cases are done by brute force and vulnerability testing which may be automated using suitable frameworks.
At this moment the new variant may use the same strategy or one of the other mechanisms:
- Phishing Emails — The hackers can send out phishing emails that appear as being sent by a well-known company or service. This is done by imitating the legitimate content and the infections will happen as soon as the recipients interact with them.
- Hacker-Made Sites — The criminals can create phishing sites that will imitate popular Internet portals. They are hosted on addresses that sound similar to legitimate addresses and may also include security certificates.
- File Carriers — The criminals can cause virus infections by embedding the required code into file carriers. As soon as they are opened by the victims the infection will be triggered. An example can be an macro-infected document that can take the form of every popular format: spreadsheets, presentations, databases and text files. Whenever one of these files is opened a prompt will be spawned asking the victims to enable the built-in content. If this is done the the DoppelPaymer files virus will be started. The other popular type is the creation of setup packages of popular applications which are commonly installed by end users. These files can also be uploaded to file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both legitimate and pirate content is found.
- Browser Plugins — This method is alternatively known as the creation of browser hijackers. They are plugins made compatible with the most popular web browsers and are usually found on their relevant repositories posted with an elaborate description. They are usually uploaded with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to make them appear.
As soon as the threat is installed on a given system the main engine will call a data harvesting module which can extract information that can be grouped into main categories:
- Private User Information — It can expose the identity information about the victims including their name, address, phone number and even stored account credentials.
- Machine Information — A detailed profile of the infected machines can be created automatically by the engine. The DoppelPaymer Files Virus is able to list all installed hardware parts and other sensitive information which can be used further in order to create an unique ID associated wth each machine.
Depending on the exact behavior pattern other system changes can also take place. This can include a boot options modification action. This will automatically start the virus threat as soon as the computer is powered on. This step may also disable the access to the recovery boot options making it very difficult to follow manual user removal guides.
If any Windows Registry changes are made then the virus engine will be able to edit the existing values or create new ones specific for it. This can lead to serious performance issues, data loss and unexpected errors popping up.
The DoppelPaymer Files Virus will launch a file encryption process which will use a strong cipher in order to process target user data. Usually this is done by searching for specific files including the following: databases, multimedia files, documents, archives, backups and etc. In the end the files will be made inaccessible and the victims will be extorted. A ransomware note will be crafted in order to blackmail and extort the users into paying the hackers a decryption fee.
As this particular version is an upgraded iteration of a previous iteration it features a heavily-optimized engine which exhibits better performance. Some of the upgraded versions can also be pushed to infect the other hosts available on the internal network. Whatever the case existing infections need to be removed as soon as possible. Follow our in-depth removal guide in order to attempt system recovery and malware removal.
DoppelPaymer Files Virus – What Does It Do?
The DoppelPaymer Files Virus is a crypto virus programmed to encrypt user data. As soon as all modules have finished running in their prescribed order the lockscreen will launch an application frame which will prevent the users from interacting with their computers. It will display the ransomware note to the victims.
You should NOT under any circumstances pay any ransom sum. Your files may not get recovered, and nobody could give you a guarantee for that.
The DoppelPaymer Files Virus cryptovirus could be set to erase all the Shadow Volume Copies from the Windows operating system with the help of the following command:
→vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all /Quiet
If your computer device was infected with this ransomware and your files are locked, read on through to find out how you could potentially restore your files back to normal.
Remove DoppelPaymer Files Virus
If your computer system got infected with the DoppelPaymer Files ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.