This article has been made with the main idea in mind to show you how you can remove the AppMaster Malware fake optimizer program from your PC.
The Appmaster malware is a dangerous virus code that can be embedded in various software. It is being developed by an unknown criminal collective and can take many forms. Our in-depth article shows how users can identify the infections and attempt to remove them.
|Type||PUP /Malicious Software, Dropper|
|Short Description||The application will be advertised as an useful system utility.|
|Symptoms||The users can experience significant performance issues and may discover that additional software has been installed.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Appmaster Malware.|
AppMaster Malware – Distribution Methods
The AppMaster malware is a modified version of a legitimate system utility that is being distributed using some of the common strategies. The security reports read that the main vector so far seems to be a hacker-created website that is designed to advertise a PDF conversion utility. A cross-check has confirmed that there are several different names that the Appmaster malware uses. One of the names it uses as a disguise is “PDF PRO 100” — a tool for converting popular file formats. Various scripts can redirect to the malicious sites — banners, pop-ups, in-line links and etc.
Another popular strategy is to send out SPAM emails — they use phishing tactics which are sent in bulk to the recipients. The malicious operators seek to impersonate messages that are sent by legitimate institutions and popular services.
By itself this particular threat represents a malicious software installer — there are two possible origins:
- Infected Software — The criminals can take legitimate system utilities, their original setup files will be taken by the criminals and modified to include the virus code.
- Malicious App — The application itself can be entirely made by the hackers with the intent of masking as a legitimate system tool.
Another tactic relies on the use of browser hijackers. They are dangerous plugins made compatible with the most popular web browsers and uploaded with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their description often advertises promises of greatly enhancing their functionality or adding new features. When they are installed most of them will redirect the users to a hacker-controlled page and will also lead to a virus installation.
AppMaster Malware – Activity
The installation of the AppMaster malware will trigger different behavior according to the hackers configuration. One of the first signs of infection is the installation of additional programs — this means that the malicious operators can lead to infections of various types of threats. An example includes the following:
- Ransomware — These viruses are among the most deadly and are designed to encrypt target data with a strong cipher. The victims will be blackmailed to pay the operators for data recovery.
- Trojans — These are viruses that seek to take over control of the victims computers at any given time. They are also particularly useful for extracting files and data that can then be used for identity theft and financial abuse.
- Cryptocurrency Miners — Among the most popular threats are also miners that take advantage of the available system resources in order to carry out complex calculations. When they have successfully completed the malicious operators will be rewarded digital currency for the operations.
- Adware — Various scripts, redirects, pop-ups and banners can be generated in the victims banners. The reason for this is the fact that every viewed or interacted results in profit generation for the operators.
During the virus’s observation the analysts discovered that interaction with the document conversion utility does not actually fulffill the promises. The files are uploaded to a server belonging to a cloud service provider. It will do the conversation for them and offer the installation of a browser hijacker.
The security analysis shows that the Appmaster malware is particularly dangerous as it can use practically any software payload, not just the aforementioned “PDF PRO 100” application. We expect to see other campaigns featuring it as the main code.
How to Remove AppMaster Malware from Windows
Removing AppMaster Malware should be performed methodologically and properly. The app could present some difficulties for users during removal, because of the many files that it creates. One way to effectively remove AppMaster Malware is to follow the removal instructions that are underneath this article. They have been created with the main idea to help you remove this app either manually or automatically. Be advised that if manual removal is not something you feel prepared to do, security analysts often recommend using an advanced anti-malware program for the removal. Such tool will automatically attempt to scan for and remove any programs that are related to AppMaster Malware and make sure that the software is gone completely from your PC.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Appmaster Malware from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Appmaster Malware from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Appmaster Malware from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Appmaster Malware from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Appmaster Malware from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Appmaster Malware from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Appmaster Malware from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Appmaster Malware from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Appmaster Malware
Step 2: Uninstall Appmaster Malware and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Appmaster Malware on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Appmaster Malware there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Appmaster Malware from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Appmaster Malware and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Appmaster Malware via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Appmaster Malware from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Appmaster Malware from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Appmaster Malware from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Appmaster Malware from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Appmaster Malware will be removed.
Eliminate Appmaster Malware from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.