Rocke Miner is a hacking weapon that can infect multiple hosts at once, our in-depth removal article shows how victims can remove active infections. Depending on its exact configuration it can perform various system changes and even deliver other infections.
|Short Description||The Rocke Miner is a customizable cryptocurrency miner that can be expanded to include other malware modules as well.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Rocke Miner.|
Rocke Miner – Distribution Methods
The Rocke Miner is a malicious threat that appears to be coming from Chinese-speaking actors. The primary distribution method seems to be infecting various GIT repositories wit the dangerous code. The active campaigns have been active since April 2018 which has resulted in a long tracking of the hacker operators.
Rocke Miner code are being used in various toolkits, scripts and code embedded in applications that use GIT repositories to store, manage and download code. Other virus delivery methods include connecting to remote servers via HTTP connections and etc.
Other methods can still be used to spread the Miner instance. Honeypots detected that several attack campaigns attempt to utilize an exploit targeting Apache Struts vulnerable code.
Like other common miner threats Rocke can also be embedded in various forms, the most common ones are the following:
- Infected Document Payloads — Macro code can be embedded in documents of different types: text documents, spreadsheets, presentations or databases. Whenever they are opened by the victim users a notification prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in scripts. If this is done the infection will follow.
- Application Installers — The Rocke Miner can be embedded in software installers for various applications: system utilities, creativity suites and etc. Usually the dangerous instances are created by taking the legitimate setup files from the vendor official sites and modifying them.
A common technique is to create fake download sites that make use of web elements and layouts that are hijacked from well-known Internet portals and vendor download pages. The visiting users can be coerced into interacting with them as they often use similar sounding domain names and security certificates.
Usually malicious scripts containing the redirect code to such sites may be posted by fake or hijacked profiles on community forums and social networks.
In some cases the hackers can employ malicious web browser extensions ,they are often found both on the official repositories and third-party download sites. The descriptions posted by the criminals promises the addition of new features or enhancing already existing ones. When the infections are complete the built-in instructions will change the default browser settings to redirect the users to a hacker-controlled page. After this is done the miner will be loaded onto the infected hosts.
Rocke Miner – Detailed Description
The malware operations begin with the command to download a customized cryptocurrency miner. Depending on the exact configuration a different tool can be used with a specific predesigned instructions set. In all cases the hacking tools will take advantage of the available system resources in order to carry out complex calculations. The posted results are reported to a special server (called the mining pool) which will in return transfer digital currency to the operators.
There are two main types of miners that are generally distinguished and the Rocke miner can take the form of either:
- Browser-Based Miners — They are integrated into the web browsers and are active only when a specific site or function are accessed. The dangerous code can infect multiple browsers at once, effective restore may not always be possible as the miners can modify essential configuration files and settings.
- Standalone Miners — The can be set as a standalone threat which can be set as a system service or an application. The Windows can set it up as a persistent threat by modifying Registry values, this will make it start every time the computer is powered on.
One of the recent campaigns was confirmed to carry other threats as well. The initial infection script downloads multiple virus infections to the victim hosts. The following malicious behaior was observed:
- Malware Download Command — The initial command will download all threats that are made part of the infection campaign.
- Shell Scripts Execution —They will set up the necessary environment — system modifications, creation of entries belonging to the threat and etc.
- Mining Script Launch — Upon the execution of the miner code the relevant configuration file will be loaded and the machine will be automatically made part of the active mining pool that is under control of the malicious actors.
One of the acquired samples of Rocke miner has been found to correlate with a hacker tool that is offered on the hacker underground markets. It is offered for a low price, mines the Monero digital currency and has several advanced features. A typical example is the “idle mining” check — it monitors the system resources usage and executes only when there is no heavy load.
Further customizations can allow for the inclusion of Trojans that can set up a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server. They allow the criminal operators to overtake control of the target machines, as well sa spy on the victims and steal their sensitive files. In other cases they can deliver ransomware infections that encrypt files with a strong cipher and demand a ransomware recovery fee.
Other malicious behavior can include other system changes such as the following:
- Files Manipulation — The engine can be configured into deleting System Restore Points and Shadow Volume Copies. This makes recovery very difficult unless a professional-grade solution is used.
- Windows Registry Modifications — The malicious engine of the Rocke miner can manipulate strings belonging to the operating system. This can lead to overall performance issues, this is a common sign of a virus infection. When individual applicatons are targeted then certain functions can be entirely disabled.
- Further Network Infections — Several related malware can scan the local area network for vulnerable hosts and test them for potential security holes. If a weakness is discovered then the Rocke miner can spread to them as well.
Remove Rocke Miner Trojan
If your computer system got infected with the Rocke Miner Trojan, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this Trojan as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the Trojan and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Rocke Miner from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Rocke Miner from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Rocke Miner from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Rocke Miner from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Rocke Miner from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Rocke Miner from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Rocke Miner from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Rocke Miner from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Rocke Miner
Step 2: Uninstall Rocke Miner and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Rocke Miner on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Rocke Miner there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Rocke Miner from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Rocke Miner and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Rocke Miner via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Rocke Miner from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Rocke Miner from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Rocke Miner from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Rocke Miner from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Rocke Miner will be removed.
Eliminate Rocke Miner from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.