Rocke Miner is a hacking weapon that can infect multiple hosts at once, our in-depth removal article shows how victims can remove active infections. Depending on its exact configuration it can perform various system changes and even deliver other infections.
|Short Description||The Rocke Miner is a customizable cryptocurrency miner that can be expanded to include other malware modules as well.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Rocke Miner |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Rocke Miner.|
Rocke Miner – Distribution Methods
The Rocke Miner is a malicious threat that appears to be coming from Chinese-speaking actors. The primary distribution method seems to be infecting various GIT repositories wit the dangerous code. The active campaigns have been active since April 2018 which has resulted in a long tracking of the hacker operators.
Rocke Miner code are being used in various toolkits, scripts and code embedded in applications that use GIT repositories to store, manage and download code. Other virus delivery methods include connecting to remote servers via HTTP connections and etc.
Other methods can still be used to spread the Miner instance. Honeypots detected that several attack campaigns attempt to utilize an exploit targeting Apache Struts vulnerable code.
Like other common miner threats Rocke can also be embedded in various forms, the most common ones are the following:
- Infected Document Payloads — Macro code can be embedded in documents of different types: text documents, spreadsheets, presentations or databases. Whenever they are opened by the victim users a notification prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in scripts. If this is done the infection will follow.
- Application Installers — The Rocke Miner can be embedded in software installers for various applications: system utilities, creativity suites and etc. Usually the dangerous instances are created by taking the legitimate setup files from the vendor official sites and modifying them.
A common technique is to create fake download sites that make use of web elements and layouts that are hijacked from well-known Internet portals and vendor download pages. The visiting users can be coerced into interacting with them as they often use similar sounding domain names and security certificates.
Usually malicious scripts containing the redirect code to such sites may be posted by fake or hijacked profiles on community forums and social networks.
In some cases the hackers can employ malicious web browser extensions ,they are often found both on the official repositories and third-party download sites. The descriptions posted by the criminals promises the addition of new features or enhancing already existing ones. When the infections are complete the built-in instructions will change the default browser settings to redirect the users to a hacker-controlled page. After this is done the miner will be loaded onto the infected hosts.
Rocke Miner – Detailed Description
The malware operations begin with the command to download a customized cryptocurrency miner. Depending on the exact configuration a different tool can be used with a specific predesigned instructions set. In all cases the hacking tools will take advantage of the available system resources in order to carry out complex calculations. The posted results are reported to a special server (called the mining pool) which will in return transfer digital currency to the operators.
There are two main types of miners that are generally distinguished and the Rocke miner can take the form of either:
- Browser-Based Miners — They are integrated into the web browsers and are active only when a specific site or function are accessed. The dangerous code can infect multiple browsers at once, effective restore may not always be possible as the miners can modify essential configuration files and settings.
- Standalone Miners — The can be set as a standalone threat which can be set as a system service or an application. The Windows can set it up as a persistent threat by modifying Registry values, this will make it start every time the computer is powered on.
One of the recent campaigns was confirmed to carry other threats as well. The initial infection script downloads multiple virus infections to the victim hosts. The following malicious behaior was observed:
- Malware Download Command — The initial command will download all threats that are made part of the infection campaign.
- Shell Scripts Execution —They will set up the necessary environment — system modifications, creation of entries belonging to the threat and etc.
- Mining Script Launch — Upon the execution of the miner code the relevant configuration file will be loaded and the machine will be automatically made part of the active mining pool that is under control of the malicious actors.
One of the acquired samples of Rocke miner has been found to correlate with a hacker tool that is offered on the hacker underground markets. It is offered for a low price, mines the Monero digital currency and has several advanced features. A typical example is the “idle mining” check — it monitors the system resources usage and executes only when there is no heavy load.
Further customizations can allow for the inclusion of Trojans that can set up a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server. They allow the criminal operators to overtake control of the target machines, as well sa spy on the victims and steal their sensitive files. In other cases they can deliver ransomware infections that encrypt files with a strong cipher and demand a ransomware recovery fee.
Other malicious behavior can include other system changes such as the following:
- Files Manipulation — The engine can be configured into deleting System Restore Points and Shadow Volume Copies. This makes recovery very difficult unless a professional-grade solution is used.
- Windows Registry Modifications — The malicious engine of the Rocke miner can manipulate strings belonging to the operating system. This can lead to overall performance issues, this is a common sign of a virus infection. When individual applicatons are targeted then certain functions can be entirely disabled.
- Further Network Infections — Several related malware can scan the local area network for vulnerable hosts and test them for potential security holes. If a weakness is discovered then the Rocke miner can spread to them as well.
Remove Rocke Miner Trojan
If your computer system got infected with the Rocke Miner Trojan, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this Trojan as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the Trojan and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.