The Bearfoos Trojan as a dangerous new threat is being released on the Internet to gamers worldwide mainly via malicious Dungeon Fighter Online game files. There is no information available about the hackers behind it, we presume that they may be experienced as they have been able to integrate malicious code into such payload carriers.
Every single attack campaign can feature a different malware tactic. This includes the most common ones such as information harvesting, removal and bypass of security software and changing important computer parameters. Most of the samples will make modifications to the Windows Registry thereby leading to possible performance issues and loss of data.
|Type||Malware, Scam Hacking Program|
|Short Description||Poses as a tool that will activate Microsoft and Windows products.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Mainly via download sites and file sharing networks.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Bearfoos Trojan |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Bearfoos Trojan.|
Bearfoos – How Did I Get It
A significant number of the Trojan releases have been identified in a campaign suing an online game called Dungeon Fighter Online. The criminals are releasing game related data, including installers that game addons. Many players have reported that the files are spread using a variety of techniques — download portals, social media posts and file-sharing networks.
The Bearfoos Trojan can be spread using a variety of different tactics. There are many variants of it which are spread using various collectives. Our security research shows that there are many versions using the Bearfoos name and alternatives as well. This allows the criminal collectives to launch a multitude of attacks bearing different versions of the malware.
One of the main techniques is the coordination of phishing email messages which coerce the victims to interact with the included content. They are designed to appear as legitimate notifications sent from well-known services and companies. The Bearfoos Trojan files can be either attached or inserted as text links.
Hacker-made sites that pose as legitimate download portals, search engines and software product pages will scam the users into downloading and running the application. They are generally hosted on domains that sound similar to popular sources and may include self-signed security certificates.
To increase the number of infected victims the criminals can also place the Bearfoos Trojan in payload carriers such as macro-infected documents and malware application bundles. They are widely downloaded from the Internet by end users and may be found on file-sharing sites as well like BitTorrent.
Such infections can also be spread via browser hijackers which are dangerous web browser extensions that are usually uploaded to the repositories of the most popular browsers.
Bearfoos – What Does It Do
The Bearfoos Trojan upon execution will start its infection process as soon as the infection occurs. Its main goal is to start a secure and persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server. It allows the criminals to take over control of the affected computers, steal their data and deploy other threats.
Such malware can execute many different tactics depending on the exact attack campaign. Most of them are used in order to serve as payload carriers for other threats. Popular options are the following:
- Data Theft — The Bearfoos Trojan may include an information harvesting ability which is capable of acquiring data that ca directly expose the identity of the victim users.
- Machine Identification — Many similar threats are programmed to extract the list of installed hardware components ,specific operating system environment values and user settngs which are then processed by a special algorithm that will output an unique infection ID that is to be assigned to each different computer.
- Windows Registry Changes — The Bearfoos Trojan can create entries for itself in the Windows Registry which can make its removal more difficult. If it edits existing values then serious performance issues can arise. Data loss and errors are a common side effect of this operation.
- Boot Menu Options Modification — Some Bearfoos Trojan versions can modify the boot options in order to automatically start themselves when the computer is powered on. By disabling access to these options manual user removal guides can become worthless.
- Data Removal — The engine can be configured to locate and delete files such as system backups, restore files and shadow volume copies. This makes recovery much more difficult and in this case the use of a data recovery solution needs to be used.
Any future Bearfoos variants can include other malicious actions as per the hacker’s instructions.
How to Remove Bearfoos Trojan
In order to fully remove Bearfoos from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see Bearfoos or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your comptuer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of Bearfoos files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.