The Chapak Trojan is a dangerous infection which is known to cause intermittent attacks using the campaigns that are orchestrated by various hacking groups. It is being spread using various techniques which all depend upon the criminal collective’s targets. The most popular options have been used in the past, including phishing emails and malware pages which all coerce the victims into thinking that they hаve received a legitimate notification from a service or company that urge them into downloading and running a file or clicking on a certain link. This will lead to the Chapak Trojan installation.
The malware file can also be dropped by various payload delivery devices such as malicious documents and application installers. They will contain the necessary virus code that will lead to the infection. All virus files can be uploaded to file-sharing sites. We have received confirmation that the Chapak Trojan is widely deployed by other malware as well, popular options for this are ransomware and hijackers.
As soon as the virus is launched it will launch a built-in behavior pattern which institutes the following malware actions:
- File Insertion — The Chapak Trojan has been found to drop its own files in the user’s temporary folder and certain system locations. The files can have random names, ones that are designed by templates and preprogrammed strings.
- Autostart Mechanism — The Trojan will reprogram the system in order to automatically start the relevant engine at computer boot.
- Trojan Connection — One of the main goals of this malware is to connect to a preset server according to the built-in code. It will allow the criminal operators take over control of the victim machines, launch other malicious actions, steal data and spy on the users.
Various other mechanisms are also used — addition to the Windows Registry which will place strings related to the virus. Future versions can lead to other malware actions as well.
|Type||Malware, Scam Hacking Program|
|Short Description||Poses as a tool that will activate Microsoft and Windows products.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Mainly via download sites and file sharing networks.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Chapak Trojan |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Chapak Trojan.|
Chapak – How Did I Get It
The Chapak Trojan can be spread using a variety of different tactics. There are many variants of it which are spread using various collectives. There may be many versions using the Chapak name and alternatives as well. This allows the criminal collectives to launch a multitude of attacks bearing different versions of the malware.
One of the main techniques is the coordination of phishing email messages which coerce the victims to interact with the included content. They are designed to appear as legitimate notifications sent from well-known services and companies. The Chapak Trojan files can be either attached or inserted as text links.
Hacker-made sites that pose as legitimate download portals, search engines and software product pages will scam the users into downloading and running the application. They are generally hosted on domains that sound similar to popular sources and may include self-signed security certificates.
To increase the number of infected victims the criminals can also place the Chapak Trojan in payload carriers such as macro-infected documents and malware application bundles. They are widely downloaded from the Internet by end users and may be found on file-sharing sites as well like BitTorrent.
Such infections can also be spread via browser hijackers which are dangerous web browser extensions that are usually uploaded to the repositories of the most popular browsers.
Chapak – What Does It Do
The Chapak Trojan upon execution will start its infection process as soon as the infection occurs. Its main goal is to start a secure and persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server. It allows the criminals to take over control of the affected computers, steal their data and deploy other threats.
Such malware can execute many different tactics depending on the exact attack campaign. Most of them are used in order to serve as payload carriers for other threats. Popular options are the following:
- Data Theft — The Chapak Trojan may include an information harvesting ability which is capable of acquiring data that ca directly expose the identity of the victim users.
- Machine Identification — Many similar threats are programmed to extract the list of installed hardware components ,specific operating system environment values and user settngs which are then processed by a special algorithm that will output an unique infection ID that is to be assigned to each different computer.
- Windows Registry Changes — The Chapak Trojan can create entries for itself in the Windows Registry which can make its removal more difficult. If it edits existing values then serious performance issues can arise. Data loss and errors are a common side effect of this operation.
- Boot Menu Options Modification — Some Chapak Trojan versions can modify the boot options in order to automatically start themselves when the computer is powered on. By disabling access to these options manual user removal guides can become worthless.
- Data Removal — The engine can be configured to locate and delete files such as system backups, restore files and shadow volume copies. This makes recovery much more difficult and in this case the use of a data recovery solution needs to be used.
Any future Chapak variants can include other malicious actions as per the hacker’s instructions.
How to Remove Chapak Trojan
In order to fully remove Chapak from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see Chapak or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your comptuer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of Chapak files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.