What Is Groooboor Trojan
Groooboor Trojan is one of the advanced malware which has been used in hacker attacks, the first versions of it were detected in 2017. It is mainly delivered to the victims via virus-infected files. It can not only overtake control of the computers, but also hijack user data and commit dangerous actions on the hosts.
Groooboor Trojan Summary
|Short Description||Aims to steal data from your computer and run different malware actions.|
|Symptoms||Your computer may behave strangely and new files may be dropped in several Windows Directories.|
|Distribution Method||Common infection methods including phishing messages and malware-infected files.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Groooboor Trojan.|
Groooboor Trojan – Virus Infection Methods
The Groooboor Trojan is a very dangerous Trojan which is known to the security community since 2017 when the first widespread campaign of it was detected by security researchers. It has been used by numerous hacking groups over the years in different distribution campaigns. The current campaign is focused on the use of phishing strategies and virus-infected office files in order to lead to the Trojan deployment. At this moment the identity of the hacking group is not known. We believe that they are an experienced group as they have been able to orchestrate a worldwide campaign.
The payload is based on Microsoft Word 2010 files which can be spread using common distribution methods, they are the following:
- Email SPAM Messages — The criminals can send out email messages in a bulk-like manner that can impersonate services and companies. They can also be delivery notifications, discount offers or advertise software patches and updates. Any interaction with such emails can lead to the deployment of the relevant virus file.
- Hacker-Controlled Sites — The criminals can create landing pages that look like landing pages, portals or other commonly accessed web pages. They can be hosted on similar sounding domain names and self-signed security certificates that will make it appear as if they are legitimate and safe to use. In many cases the creators will use similar design and may even copy down the authentic content. Through site interactions or file downloads the Trojan will be delivered to the target computers.
- Secondary Payload Delivery — The malware can be delivered as part of the virus infection sequence of another threat.
At any time the hackers can choose to use other strateгies as well, this will vary according to the campaign, as well as the hacking approach.
Groooboor Trojan – Virus Capabilities
The detected attack campaign carries the typical malware engine, according to the available information it does not differ that much from previous versions. Its main purpose is to establish a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server which will allow the criminals to take over control of the target machines. This will allow the hackers to also steal users data and spy on the victims in real-time. Every Trojan will have a specific way of doing so — the most common one is to take screenshot between regular intervals and sending them through the instituted data stream.
The Groooboor Trojan can be programmed with additional options, some of them are the following:
- Boot Changes — The Groooboor Trojan can install itself as a persistent threat by modifying the relevant boot configuration. As a result it will start itself automatically when the computer is launched and may even disable access to the recovery boot options. This will make it impossible to follow the directions in manual user recovery guides.
- Data Modification — The Trojan is able to delete sensitive data, including system restore points. Alongside this some of the advanced threats of this category may also include a ransomware component which will encrypt users data and rename it with a given extension. The resulting data will be inaccessible to the users and they will be blackmailed into paying the hackers a decryption fee.
- Windows Settings Changes — The malware can change important configuration files and the Windows Registry which can lead to serious issues. This can include performance problems to the point of rendering the computers completely unusable while the virus is active. Other consequences can be trouble with the starting of certain services and applications. Unexpected errors may also be encountered.
Identified viruses should be removed as fast as possible. In many cases Trojans like Grooobooor are programmed to deploy other malware to the systems — browser hijackers and separate file-encrypting ransomware for example. As part of this ransomware’s chain of operations a data gathering procedure can be run. It is tasked with the creation of an unique system ID which is created by a report of the installed hardware components and current software values.
You can attempt to remove the Grooobooor Trojan by following the detailed instructions in this article.
Groooboor Trojan – Virus Removal GUIDE
In order to fully remove this infection from your computer system, recommendations are to try the automatic removal guidelines below. They are particularly created in order to assist you separate this malware first of all and after that remove it’s destructive files. If you lack the experience in malware removal, the best method and most reliable one according to safety professionals is to use an innovative anti-malware software program. Such will not just immediately get rid of the Groooboor infection from your computer system, yet will certainly additionally ensure that your computer system remains shielded versus future infections.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Groooboor Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Groooboor Trojan on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Groooboor Trojan in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Groooboor Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Groooboor Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Groooboor Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Groooboor Trojan from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Groooboor Trojan Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Groooboor Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Groooboor Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall Groooboor Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Groooboor Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Groooboor Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Groooboor Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Groooboor Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Groooboor Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Groooboor Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Groooboor Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Groooboor Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Groooboor Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Groooboor Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Groooboor Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Groooboor Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate Groooboor Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Groooboor Trojan from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".