The Mi_unlock_en.exe is a dangerous weapon used against computer users worldwide. It infects mainly via phishing email messages. Our article gives an overview of its behavior according to the collected samples and available reports, also it may be helpful in attempting to remove the virus.
|Short Description||The Mi_unlock_en.exe is a scam program that is designed to infiltrate computer systems.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Phishing Messages, Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Mi_unlock_en.exe Malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Mi_unlock_en.exe Malware.|
Mi_unlock_en.exe – Distribution Methods
The Mi_unlock_en.exe is a malicious application that has been spotted on several Internet sites. It appears to pose as a legitimate made by Xiaomi which unlocks the bootloader of their phones. It can be distributed using a variety of methods and under different file names and description variations.
In many cases the hackers can craft email messages that are sent in a SPAM-like manner and impersonate Xiaomi or another company. These messages can use stolen content and design layout thereby deceiving the recipients into thinking that they have received an legitimate notification. The users might be tricked into interacting with the built-in content or attached files.
The other common tactic is to create hacker-made web sites that pose as legitimate software landing pages, download portals or other frequently accessed sites. The infections can happen also through interaction with any elements such as pop-ups, banners and ads.
This particular threat can be installed also by payload carriersof which there are two main types:
- Malicious Documents — The hackers can embed the virus installation code into macros which are then made part of documents across all popular file formats: presentations, databases, spreadsheets and text files. Whenever they are opened by the victims a prompt will be spawned asking them to enable the built-in content. If this is done the Mi_unlock_en.exe will be installed on the local machine.
- Bundle Installers — This is the other popular mechanism often used by hackers. Installers of commonly used applications by end users can be modified by the criminals in order to lead to the virus infection. This is done by taking the legitimate files from their official sources and modifying them to include the necessary code.
To further spread the dangerous Mi_unlock_en.exe files the hackers will distribute them on file-sharing sites as well. The most popular utility is BitTorrent which uses various trackers that are used to distribute both pirate and legitimate data.
Larger attacks can be spread via browser hijackers — they are dangerous plugins made compatible with the most popular web browsers. They are uploaded by the hackers to the relevant web site repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials. The accompanying description will promise new features addition and performance optimiztions which entices the visitors into installing them. As soon as this is done the malware file will be downloaded and run on the target computers.
Mi_unlock_en.exe – Detailed Description
The Mi_unlock_en.exe is a generic file name which has been reported to contain various forms of malware. This particular file name is attributed to a legitimate and widely used utility by Xiaomi phone users — the unlock tool used to remove the protection from the phone’s bootloader. This allows phone owners to install other ROMs and apply certain system updates.
The most common malware form that this file carries is the installation of a cryptocurrency miner. The process will appear in the task manager utilizing many of the important hardware of the computer in order to execute complex mathematical tasks: CPU, Memory, GPU and hard disk space. A connection is made to a specific server which will generate these tasks and they will be downloaded automatically by the engine. Whenever one of them is completed another will be retrieved and started in its place. At the same time the hackers will be rewarded with a digital transfer of cryptocurrency that will be automatically placed in their wallets.
Other popular types of malware that the Mi_unlock_en.exe can host include the following:
- Ransomware — They are among the most dangerous virus types. Active ransomware infections will use a strong cipher that will target process user data according to a built-in list of target file type extensions. Usually common files are targeted such as images, archives, databases, music, videos and etc. Specific extensions are added to the affected files and ransomware notes and images can be crafted in order to blackmail the victims into paying the criminals a decryption fee.
- Trojans — This is a dangerous type of viruses that will establish a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server. It enables the criminals to spy on the victims in real-time, hijack their information and deploy additional threats.
- Adware — Interacting with such files can lead to a dangerous infection with adware. This is usually done by retrieving browser hijackers or changing important setttings in the operating system.
- Generic Malware Commands — They can be caused by executing certain common behavior patterns. Many of them are programmed to do one single task or several ones as devised by a certain behavior pattern. A prime example is the manipulation of the system — many malware will disable access to the boot options and recovery menus which will make manual user recovery very difficult unless a professional-grade anti-spyware solution is used.
Many Mi_unlock_en.exe malware files can additionally lead to Windows Registry Modifications. When they affect the operating system this can have a tremendous negative impact on the operating system — it can become completely unusable. When third-party applications are affected it will effectively stop certain functions, cause errors and may data loss.
Various other types of behavior can be exhibited depending on the ongoing attack campaign.
Remove Mi_unlock_en.exe Completely
To remove Mi_unlock_en.exe manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal tutorial written down below. In case this manual removal does not get rid of the miner malware completely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software can keep your computer secure in the future.