|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Certified Toolbar is promoted as a useful toolbar. However, it may change the user’s homepage without his permission.|
|Symptoms||Redirects to predefined pages.|
|Distribution Method||Via freeware packages (bundling), or visiting suspicious websites.|
|Detection tool||Download SpyHunter, to See If Your System Has Been Affected By search.certified-toolbar.com|
According to security experts, certified-toolbar.com (search.certified-toolbar.com) is classified as a browser hijacker that takes over the browser without the user’s knowledge or consent. It may seem that the toolbar can be downloaded from the official website. However, the download button is currently inactive. Thus, search.certified-toolbar.com may come bundled with free or ad-supported software. The ads that are displayed on search.certified-toolbar.com also seem suspicious.
They may be promoting troublesome PC software such as Windows 7 PC Repair, as we were redirected to reimageplus.com. We also viewed Ads by Reimage. Even though the ads themselves are not malicious, downloading any of the promoted software may harm the PC.
Description of search.certified-toolbar.com
It is likely that once the toolbar is downloaded to the PC, possibly in a freeware package, the user’s homepage will be changed to search. certified-toolbar.com. The toolbar may be compatible with all widely used browsers – Explorer, Mozilla, Chrome.
Besides being redirected to the page promoting Windows 7 PC Repair, the user may end up at the following www.uniblue.com page:
As already mentioned, downloading any of that software may affect the PC’s performance. If such software is installed, the user may start seeing constant and annoying pop-up alerts and windows about various PC errors.
Description of Certified Toolbar
Certified Toolbar is developed by SimplyGen and is a browser add-on that may come bundled with various freeware products. Thus, it may be regarded as a PUP (potentially unwanted program). Furthermore, Certified Toolbar is also described as a browser hijacker because it changes the user’s homepage to search.certified-toolbar.com.
Removal of Certified Toolbar
To remove all traces of the suspicious toolbar, you can follow the manual instructions provided below. However, scanning the system afterwards is also crucial to your PC’s safety since more PUPs may have entered the system in a veiled manner.
Before you begin cleaning up your browsers from this hijacker, you need to stop any processes from the task manager and delete any programs associated with it.
To do this:
1. Open the Task Manager in Windows by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then choosing Start Task Manager.
2. Locate the malicious processes then mark them with your mouse. Once done, click on End Process.
3. Go to Control Panel
4. Type in the search box Uninstall A Program. Then click on the same text result.
5. Mark the malicious program if there is any.
For Internet Explorer:
1. Right-click on Internet Explorer.
2. Click on Properties from the fall-down menu.
3. Remove the web link after the iexplore.exe if there is any.
4. Right-click on Internet Explorer icon, that should be pinned on the Windows Taskbar.
5. Choose ‘In-Private Browsing’
6. Click on the gear wheel on the top right side under the ‘X’ button.
7. Choose Internet Options.
8. Choose one of the two options – General or Use New Tab and click on Apply on the bottom right side of the window.
For Google Chrome
1. Right-Click on Google Chrome
2. Click on Properties from the fall-down menu.
3. Remove the web link after the chrome.exe in the Target field if there is any.
4. Open Google Chrome.
5. In the address bar type chrome://settings/homepageoverlay
6. Erase any custom added pages or click on Use New Tab Page
7. In the address bar type chrome://settings/startup
8. Click ‘X’on the homepage that you have to remove.
9. In the address bar type chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
10. Click on ClearBrowserData.
11. In the address bar type chrome://extensions
12. Remove any extensions associated with the hijacker.
For Mozilla Firefox
1. Right Click on Mozilla Firefox
2. Click on Properties from the fall-down menu.
3. Remove the web link after firefox.exe in the Target field.
1. Go to Options from the top right fall-down menu.
2. Click on Restore To Default, which is under the homepage field.
3. Go to History.
4. Click on Clear Recent History
5. Tick every option, then click on OK.
Spy Hunter scanner will only detect the threat. If you want the threat to be automatically removed, you need to purchase the full version of the anti-malware tool.Find Out More About SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool / How to Uninstall SpyHunter
- Guide 1: How to Remove search.certified-toolbar.com from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of search.certified-toolbar.com from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove search.certified-toolbar.com from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase search.certified-toolbar.com from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall search.certified-toolbar.com from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove search.certified-toolbar.com from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate search.certified-toolbar.com from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove search.certified-toolbar.com from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove search.certified-toolbar.com
Step 2: Uninstall search.certified-toolbar.com and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by search.certified-toolbar.com on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by search.certified-toolbar.com there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of search.certified-toolbar.com from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall search.certified-toolbar.com and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove search.certified-toolbar.com via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove search.certified-toolbar.com files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as search.certified-toolbar.com, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove search.certified-toolbar.com from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase search.certified-toolbar.com from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall search.certified-toolbar.com from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove search.certified-toolbar.com from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the search.certified-toolbar.com will be removed.
Eliminate search.certified-toolbar.com from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.