This article will aid you to remove Satana Ransomware. Follow the ransomware removal instructions provided at the end of the article.
Satana Ransomware is one that encrypts your data and demands money as a ransom to get it restored. The Satana Ransomware will leave ransomware instructions as text file. Keep on reading the article and see how you could try to potentially recover some of your locked files and data.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer system and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files with the .satana extension and leave a ransom note with payment instructions.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Satana |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Satana.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
Satana Ransomware – Distribution Techniques
The Satana ransomware is a new malware which has just been identified in an ongoing attack campaign. The captured samples indicate that it is possible that several methods have been used. Such viruses are often spread with phishing email messages that will coerce the victim targets into interacting with the displayed body contents. They will be designed to appear as service messages from well-known companies or services that the victims might be using. An alternative would be to directly attach them to the messages.
Satana ransomware strains may also be featured on fake web sites that can impersonate download portals or landing pages. These two methods are also widely used to distribute payload carriers of which there are two main types:
- Application Installers — The malicious actors behind the Satana ransomware can also embed the virus installation scripts in setup files of popular software. Examples include programs that are downloaded by end users: creativity suites, system utilities, office packages and etc. The original packages are downloaded from their official sources and the dangerous contents added. They will be then spread via the distribution channels — usually fake web sites or file-sharing networks. BitTorrent is one of the most popular options as it is a mechanism for sharing both legitimate and pirate content.
- Infected Documents — The other popular payload method is the creation and distribution of documents containing malicious scripts. This is possible with all popular document formats: rich text documents, spreadsheets, presentations and databases. Whenever they are opened by the users a message will appear asking them to enable the built-in scripts in order to view the file correctly. If this is done the virus infection command will be started.
Larger infection campaigns can be orchestrated by the programming of purpose-built browser hijackers which are dangerous extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are usually found on the associated repositories (or “stores”), frequently making use of fake or stolen developer credentials and user reviews. Their descriptions will include promises of feature additions or optimizations. However upon installation they will often change the settings in order to redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled landing page. At the same time the virus infection will follow.
Satana Ransomware – Detailed Analysis
The captured Satana ransomware samples showcase that the virus appears to be made entirely by the criminals which are spreading it. It is very possible that it is an original creation and not based on any of the known malware families. If the threat is not written by this criminal collective then it may be ordered from one of the underground hacker markets.
The security analysis shows that the Satana ransomware does include a collection of modules that are launched as soon as the infection occurs.
One of the first ones that is run is the persistent installation configuration setting which has been confirmed to modify entries in the Windows Registry. When modifications to the operating system belonging values are made then the victims can expect serious performance issues and troubles when accessing common functions. On the other hand modifications to individual applications can render them inaccessible or non-working. The persistent installation has also been found to modify important system configuration files, boot options and the settings of the operating system. In most cases this will mean that the Satana ransomware will be run every time the computer is booted. Access to recovery menus may be disabled which renders most manual user recovery guides non-working.
What is more dangerous about the Satana ransomware is that it has been found to contain advanced fingerprinting techniques that will extract sensitive data from the compromised machines. What is known is that it will construct a unique infection ID which is assigned to each infected host. The following information is harvested from the machines:
- Windows Operating System Credentials — The ransomware engine will identify and harvest all account credentials of the operating system.
- Kernel Information — This will check for details about the installed operating system. To a certain degree this can be used to identify if the host is a virtual machine, representing a form of a security check. If programmed accordingly the infection can stop if such is detected.
- Cryptographic Machine ID — This information is retrieved in order to generate the unique infection ID. This string is individual to every single computer as it is based on the installed hardware components.
As soon as these modules have completed running the Satana ransomware will have access to all running processes being able to hijack important data from them. What we know is that the files on the infected machines can be both accessed, modified and deleted. System data is also affected, future versions can be programmed to locate and remove System Backups, System Restore Points and other important information.
It seems that the modular structure of the virus allows it to be updated further with other components as well. We anticipate that a Trojan module might be added. It will use a local client which will create a persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server. This tunnel allows the malicious operators to spy on the users, steal their data and also overtake control of the machines. This technique also allows the hackers to deploy other threats.
Satana Ransomware – Encryption Process
The Satana ransomware uses the familiar mode of operations that is used by most popular malware engines — a powerful cipher is used to encrypt valuable user data according to a built-in list of target file type extensions. A full list is not yet available however the most common ones are the following:
The .satana extension will be added to all victim data. The associated ransomware file will be written in files called HOW TO DECRYPT YOUR FILES — they may be either text files or HTML rich text ones.
Remove Satana Ransomware and Try to Restore Data
If your computer system got infected with the Project57 ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
How to Remove Satana from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Satana
Step 2: Uninstall Satana and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Satana on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Satana there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Step 4: Scan for Satana with SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
Step 5 (Optional): Try to Restore Files Encrypted by Satana.
Ransomware infections and Satana aim to encrypt your files using an encryption algorithm which may be very difficult to decrypt. This is why we have suggested a data recovery method that may help you go around direct decryption and try to restore your files. Bear in mind that this method may not be 100% effective but may also help you a little or a lot in different situations.
If the above link does not work for you and your region, try the other two links below, that lead to the same product:
Get rid of Satana from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Satana and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Satana via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Satana files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Satana, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Step 3 (Optional): Try to Restore Files Encrypted by Satana on your Mac.
Ransomware for Mac Satana aims to encode all your files using an encryption algorithm which may be very difficult to decode, unless you pay money. This is why we have suggested a data recovery method that may help you go around direct decryption and try to restore your files, but only in some cases. Bear in mind that this method may not be 100% effective but may also help you a little or a lot in different situations.