The KBOT Trojan is a newly discovered dangerous Trojan that infects computers and can manipulate web browsers. It contains advanced functionality which allows hackers to easily take over control of the machines. Our removal guide features a detailed explanation of the banking Trojan’s mechanisms of operation, as well as instructions on restoring the infected computers from the infections.
|Type||Trojan Horse Virus|
|Short Description||Silently infects the target machines and modifies key applications and system services.|
|Symptoms||The user may not experience any signs of infiltration.|
|Distribution Method||Malicious web links, Malicious Files, Malicious E-Mails|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss KBOT Trojan.|
The KBOT Trojan is a newly discovered malware which has been discovered in several large-scale campaigns across several regions and countries. This particular Trojan has an advanced infection sequence. When the virus engine is engaged in the first part of its sequence — to infect the target computers it will first process all EXE (executable) files on the accessed computer’s hard drives. However instead of stopping there it will also access other locations via the file manager — network shares and removable devices. This is very dangerous as this presents a very quick way for a single infection to impact a whole network in a relatively quick time. The security analysis shows that this is possible as the KBOT Trojan is programmed to interact with the operating system’s services.
According to the available information the KBOT Trojan primarily infects its targets through several main methods:
- Internet Download — The users can acquire the virus samples via various methods. In most cases this includes phishing campaigns — the hacking groups will send out SPAM email messages and craft hacker-controlled sites which will impersonate well-known companies or services. As they are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names the victims can confuse themselves and interact with the faked content.
- Local Network Infection — Already made infections from one of the computers in the local area network can lead to the virus deployment.
- Direct Attacks — The hackers can use special toolkits in orde to discover and compromise found vulnerabilities and other types of security weaknesses.
KBOT Trojan Capabilities
The KBOT Trojan features advanced features and modules which will be run after the threat has been installed on a given computer. One of the first actions which will be done is to conceal itself in the system by interacting with the operating system through various methods — calling APIs, DLLs and editing configuration files. There are several consequences which can follow:
- Security Applications Bypass — The engine can bypass or entirely remove installed security services and applications that can potentially block the virus. This includes the likes of anti-virus programs, sandbox environments, firewalls and etc.
- Integrity Checks — The KBOT Trojan can inject its own DLLs in various other processes by hooking up to them and inserting itself in their configuration files.
- System Changes — The main engine can also edit out existing configuration files and/or the Windows Registry. Such actions are commonly used to install the virus as a persistent threat — this will run the ransomware every time the computer is powered on.
Following the setup of the KBOT Trojan it will proceed with the usual activity — it can extract and inject information in web browsers — this is done by hooking up to the running processes and acquiring form data. The virus can automatically modify fields in web banking services and other opened web sites. This activity may not be visible to the users. The captured samples are compatible with the following applications: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera and the Yandex Browser.
The configuration used by the KBOT Trojan will also specify what to do following the web injection. The malware will follow the typical behavior by contacting a remote host using a secure connection which will be kept persistent for as long as possible. This will enable the remote attackers to take over control of the machines and/or install other threats when necessary.
During a detailed analysis of the acquired samples the specialists were able to extract a list of the possible commands:
- DeleteFile — This will delete a specified file from the system.
- UpdateFile — This will modify the contents of a given file with the supplied information.
- UpdateInjects — This will update the injection configuration.
- UpdateHosts — This will update the hosts file.
- UpdateCore — This will pdate the main engine and the relevant configuration files.
- Uninstall — This will remove the ransomware at request.
- UpdateWormConfig — This action will update the file containing information about the relevant EXE file location.
- UpdateBackconnectConfig — This will update the configuration file which will include a server list for reverse connections.
- Load — This will load a designated file to the system. As a result spyware applications will be installed on the target computers.
Remove KBOT Effectively from Windows
In order to fully get rid of this Trojan, we advise you to follow the removal instructions underneath this article. They are made so that they help you to isolate and then delete the KBOT Trojan either manually or automatically. If manual removal represents difficulty for you, experts always advise to perform the removal automatically by running an anti-malware scan via specific software on your PC. Such anti-malware program aims to make sure that the KBOT is fully gone and your Windows OS stays safe against any future malware infections.
Preparation before removing KBOT Trojan.
Before starting the actual removal process, we recommend that you do the following preparation steps.
- Make sure you have these instructions always open and in front of your eyes.
- Do a backup of all of your files, even if they could be damaged. You should back up your data with a cloud backup solution and insure your files against any type of loss, even from the most severe threats.
- Be patient as this could take a while.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove KBOT Trojan
Step 2: Clean any registries, created by KBOT Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by KBOT Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Step 3: Find virus files created by KBOT Trojan on your PC.
For Newer Windows Operating Systems
1: On your keyboard press + R and write explorer.exe in the Run text box and then click on the Ok button.
2: Click on your PC from the quick access bar. This is usually an icon with a monitor and its name is either “My Computer”, “My PC” or “This PC” or whatever you have named it.
3: Navigate to the search box in the top-right of your PC's screen and type “fileextension:” and after which type the file extension. If you are looking for malicious executables, an example may be "fileextension:exe". After doing that, leave a space and type the file name you believe the malware has created. Here is how it may appear if your file has been found:
N.B. We recommend to wait for the green loading bar in the navination box to fill up in case the PC is looking for the file and hasn't found it yet.
For Older Windows Operating Systems
In older Windows OS's the conventional approach should be the effective one:
1: Click on the Start Menu icon (usually on your bottom-left) and then choose the Search preference.
2: After the search window appears, choose More Advanced Options from the search assistant box. Another way is by clicking on All Files and Folders.
3: After that type the name of the file you are looking for and click on the Search button. This might take some time after which results will appear. If you have found the malicious file, you may copy or open its location by right-clicking on it.
Now you should be able to discover any file on Windows as long as it is on your hard drive and is not concealed via special software.
Step 4: Scan for KBOT Trojan with SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
KBOT Trojan FAQ
What Does KBOT Trojan Trojan Do?
The KBOT Trojan Trojan is a malicious computer program designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system. It can be used to steal sensitive data, gain control over a system, or launch other malicious activities.
What Damage Can KBOT Trojan Trojan Cause?
The KBOT Trojan Trojan is a malicious type of malware that can cause significant damage to computers, networks and data. It can be used to steal information, take control of systems, and spread other malicious viruses and malware.
Is KBOT Trojan Trojan a Harmful Virus?
Yes, it is. A Trojan is a type of malicious software that is used to gain unauthorized access to a person's device or system. It can damage files, delete data, and even steal confidential information.
Can Trojans, Like KBOT Trojan Steal Passwords?
Yes, Trojans, like KBOT Trojan, can steal passwords. These malicious programs are designed to gain access to a user's computer, spy on victims and steal sensitive information such as banking details and passwords.
Can KBOT Trojan Trojan Hide Itself?
Yes, it can. A Trojan can use various techniques to mask itself, including rootkits, encryption, and obfuscation, to hide from security scanners and evade detection.R
Can a Trojan Virus be Removed by Factory Reset?
Yes, a Trojan Virus can be removed by factory resetting your device. This is because it will restore the device to its original state, eliminating any malicious software that may have been installed.
Can KBOT Trojan Trojan Infect WiFi?
Yes, it is possible for a Trojan to infect WiFi networks. When a user connects to the infected network, the Trojan can spread to other connected devices and can access sensitive information on the network.
Can Trojans Be Deleted?
Yes, Trojans can be deleted. This is typically done by running a powerful anti-virus or anti-malware program that is designed to detect and remove malicious files. In some cases, manual deletion of the Trojan may also be necessary.
Are Trojans Hard to Remove?
Yes, Trojans can be very hard to remove as they often disguise themselves as legitimate programs, making them difficult to detect and extremely tricky to remove.
Can Trojans Steal Files?
Yes, Trojans can steal files if they are installed on a computer. This is done by allowing the malware author or user to gain access to the computer and then steal the files stored on it.
Which Anti-Malware Can Remove Trojans?
Anti-malware programs such as SpyHunter are capable of scanning for and removing Trojans from your computer. It is important to keep your anti-malware up to date and regularly scan your system for any malicious software.
About the KBOT Trojan Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this KBOT Trojan how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific trojan problem.
How did we conduct the research on KBOT Trojan?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of trojans (backdoor, downloader, infostealer, ransom, etc.)
Furthermore, the research behind the KBOT Trojan threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by trojans, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. Trojan Horse – What Is It?
2. Trojanized AnyDesk App Delivered through Fake Google Ads
3. Hackers Continue to Use Malicious Excel 4.0 Macros to Deliver Banking Trojans
4. Ficker Infostealer Uses Fake Spotify Ads to Propagate
5. Jupyter Infostealer Malware Targets Chrome and Firefox Browser Data