The Betload Trojan is a dangerous weapon used against computer users worldwide. It infects mainly via infected software installers. Our article gives an overview of its behavior according to the collected samples and available reports, also it may be helpful in attempting to remove the virus.
|Short Description||The Betload Trojan is a computer virus that is designed to silently infiltrate computer systems.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Software Vulnerabilities, Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Betload Trojan |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Betload Trojan.|
Betload Trojan – Distribution Methods
The Betload Trojan is a payload threat which has the capability to infect various type of files and is not delivered standalone. There are two main forms which are predominantly used to spread Trojans:
- Documents — The Trojan virus code is placed in macros that are embedded across all popular document types: spreadsheets, presentations, text files and databases. When they are opened by the victim users a notification prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in content. Usually the quoted reason is to correctly view the document. This will launch the code that will deploy the Trojan.
- Setup Files — The criminals can embed the code in application installers of all popular categories: creativity suites, system utilities, productivity apps and office programs. They are created by the hackers by taking legitimate app setup files and modifying them to include the virus code. The installers are obtained from the official download pages.
The Betload Trojan files can be distributed via other methods as well. A popular tactic is the upload of these files to file sharing networks like BitTorrent. They are used to distribute both pirate and legitimate files — there are both public and private trackers which are widely used to spread various data.
It is possible that future attack campaigns will utilize some of the other methods. A popular tactic is to coordinate email phishing messages. They will copy the body contents and design of legitimate services and companies that they might be using. The dangerous code can be embedded both in the contents and the attached files. This is possible by clicking on images, videos and even text links. In some cases the virus can be directly attached to the messages.
The Betload Trojan sample can be uploaded to malicious sites which are created to pose as legitimate portals, landing pages and etc. They are made by using similar sounding domain names and fake security certificates. This step is done in order to confuse the visitors into thinking that they are accessing a safe and legitimate site.
Betload Trojan – Detailed Description
As soon as the Betload Trojan is activated it will start to run a preliminary list of modules that are designed to carry out the initial infection:
- Data Retrieval — The Betload Trojan is used to gather sensitive information from the infected machines. The security report shows that the malware downloads a list of the installed hardware components, active computer name and other information. In almost all cases this is done in order to assign an unique infection ID to each affected computer. This includes terminal service related keys which are most commonly used for remote login sessions. If they are acquired by the hacker operators they can use it as a substitute to an actual Trojan instance.
- Volume Manager Interaction — To infect a larger number of machines the criminals can interact with the Windows Volume Manager. This allows the Betload Trojan to access removable storage devices and network shares.
- Process Manipulation & Creation — The malicious threat is able to access and modify currently running processes and services belonging both to the operating system and the third-party applications. This can cause severe performance issues and unexpected errors. If the malware creates its own processes they can be several running at once and with administrative privileges. Hooking up to existing processes can reveal the users input and output operations allowing the Betload Trojan то spy on the victims in real-time.
The gathered information allows the virus code to detect if security software are running. Future versions can use it a wide range of applications: anti-virus programs, virtual machine hosts, sandbox environments and debug software. Their real-time engines can be disabled or entirely removed depending on the included programming code. The captured samples have been shown to exhibit many procedures with the same disassembly stream which is a technique used to hide the virus usage.
The next step is to read and change configuration files, in the case of boot options this will lead to a persistent infection. In this case many manual user removal guides will be rendered non-working as the recovery boot menus will be disabled.
A dangerous effect of the Betload Trojan installation is that it can both access and remove user data, including backups, System Restore points and other related files. This means that the use of a data recovery solution might be required. Access to the Windows Registry is also part of the Betload Trojan capabilities which allows it to change critical values. That can cripple the system’s performance.
As soon as all preliminary actions have completed running a connection will be made to a hacker-controlled server. This connection will allow the criminals to take over control of the victim computers, download and install additional payloads, as well as spy on the victims. here are several dangerous payloads that can be delivered using such malware:
- Cryptocurrency Miners — They are used to perform complex calculations which are downloaded from a special server. This is done via a special program that takes advantage of the hardware resources: CPU, memory, GPU and hard disk space. When one of the tasks is complete digital currency will be automatically transferred to the wallets of the hackers.
- Browser Hijackers — They represent malicious addons made for the most popular web browsers. When installed they will modify the default settings (home page, search engine and new tabs page) in order to redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled landing page.
- Ransomware — These viruses will encrypt the user data according to a built-in list of target file types. A strong cipher will be used to encrypt the data, in most cases a special extension will be applied to the victim files. A ransomware note will be created in order to blackmail the victims into paying the victims a fee in order to access their data.
As the Betload Trojan is build on a modular foundation it allows the hacker operators to create various behavior patterns and scenarios. Future versions may include other modules as well.
Remove NtCrypt Crypter Completely
To remove Betload Trojan manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal tutorial written down below. In case this manual removal does not get rid of the miner malware completely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software can keep your computer secure in the future.