This article will help you to remove Jokeroo ransomware effectively. Follow the ransomware removal instructions given below in the article.
Jokeroo is a ransomware virus that encrypts your files. The malware is distributed as RaaS (Ransomware as a Service). The Jokeroo virus displays a ransom note message. The cybercriminals behind this service were at first posing as affiliates of GandCrab ransomware. Also, it is being promoted on underground hacking websites. In case you get your computer infected with a variant of this cryptovirus, you should not be paying the cybercriminals a ransom in Bitcoin – it is not certain that your files will get recovered. The ransomware is written in C++ using WinAPI. Continue reading below to see how you could try to potentially restore some of your locked file data.
|Type||Ransomware, Cryptovirus, RaaS|
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer and displays a ransom message afterward.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files and put up a ransom note inside a text file.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Jokeroo |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Jokeroo.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
Jokeroo Ransomware – Infection Spread
Jokeroo ransomware might spread its infection with various methods. A payload dropper which initiates the malicious script for this ransomware is being spread around the World Wide Web, and researchers have gotten their hands on a malware sample. If that file lands on your computer system and you somehow execute it – your computer system will become infected.
Jokeroo ransomware might also distribute its payload file on social media and file-sharing services. Freeware which is found on the Web can be presented as helpful also be hiding the malicious script for the cryptovirus. Refrain from opening files right after you have downloaded them. You should first scan them with a security tool, while also checking their size and signatures for anything that seems out of the ordinary. You should read the tips for preventing ransomware found in the forum section.
Jokeroo Virus – Detailed Analysis
Jokeroo is a virus that encrypts your files and extorts you to pay a ransom to supposedly recover them. The extortionists want you to pay in Bitcoin for the possible restoration of your files. Malware researchers have discovered that it is a RaaS (Ransomware as a service), thus it can be distributed by a number of cybercriminal groups and go by similar or different names, by using different branding (logos), etc.
Jokeroo ransomware might make entries in the Windows Registry to achieve persistence, and could launch or repress processes in a Windows environment. Such entries are typically designed in a way to launch the virus automatically with each start of the Windows Operating System.
The features available to this Jokeroo RaaS ransomware are the following:
- Removed the list of file extensions, now the crypto-fiber encrypts all files on the PC, except for the system ones
- Instant payment of your% immediately to your wallet, no need to request payment
- Now the traffic is not just encrypted, but also randomized (traffic morph)
- Removed all statics detections from scantime that interfered with after auto-script
- Cleaned runtime
- The product is written in C++ using WiNAPI
- It has no third-party dependencies
- The weight of an unencrypted .exe file is 69 kb
- Multi-threaded encryption: a separate stream Is created for each medium (FIXED, REMOTE, REMOVASLE)
- File Encryption: encrypts all files without restrictions, except system ones, using AES algorithms with a 256-bit key — the key is encrypted using RSA-2048
- AES encryption algorithm: CBC encryption mode using CSPRNG, SSE support (Amd / Intel)
- When you tum off the PC or reboot, it starts searching and encrypting new files and removable media
- Point of no return: Delete shadow copies and restore points
- Canary files: bypasses Anti-ransom solutions based on bait files (“canary files”)
- Anti-virus counteraction: the traffic between the admin panel and the bot is encrypted, meta-data, file string parameters are missing, a combination of techniques is used to counter runtime detection
- The product does not work for RU and in the CIS countries: AM, AZ, BY, GE, KG, KZ, MD, T), TM, UA, U2
- A convenient admin panel is located on the TOR network (.onion)
- Payments: automatic payment of your redemption to your wallet DASH and Bitcoin
- Detailed information about each object, the ability to select your favorite bots
- Manual calibration: the size of the ransom for countries, individual bots – all this you set up
- The landing page for the victim is located on the TOR network (.onion), but is also accessible from a regular WEB browser, which significantly increases the number of payments
The ransom note is unknown as it might get written by different cybercriminals who buy this RaaS on the jokeroodgo3ylved.onion web domain. Down here you can see the login page that will lead to the Dashboard:
The contents of the Dashboard page can be viewed down below, in the following screenshot:
If somebody becomes an affiliate of this ransomware service, they have to pay a membership tax which is 90 US dollars (where 85% of the revenue is kept for the affiliate member who joins the program), or 300 and 600 US dollars, where all of the money goes to the payer and they even have exclusive access to Salsa20 encryption, other variants of the ransomware, as well as other payment options.
The Jokeroo RaaS $90 offering reads the following:
You can change and customize your ransomware
Name of the project
Change the demand of ransom
Change all the logo, An icon in format .ICO, Remove the jokeroo logo
You can choose the extension
A description to help the victim in format .TXT
Ransomware update manually
You can create 1 ransomware
The victim can pay you in Bitcoin
Withdrawal in Bitcoin
You can infected in unlimited
You will have news about the dashboard
Undetectable by AV update regularly
Show the IP of the victim
We will touch 15% fees ransom
You will be able to manage all the victims since the dashboard
Display: CD key, PC Name, Encrypted files, Operating System (OS)
Lifetime license !
The note of the Jokeroo ransomware would state that your files are encrypted. You will most likely be demanded to pay a ransom in the Bitcoin cryptocurrency (or DASH if you pay for the higher membership). However, you should NOT under any circumstances pay any ransom sum if you are a victim of ransomware. Your files may not get restored, and nobody could guarantee that. Moreover, giving money to cybercriminals will probably motivate them to create more ransomware viruses or do other criminal activities.
There was a Twitter promotion last week about the launch of the Jokeroo RaaS service as seen below:
Besides that and the Dashboard showing that there are already victims that have paid the ransom fee, malware researchers indicate that there should be no such thing as of yet. The ransomware has not been spotted to be active in the wild, so no actual victims should exist. Even so, if you are a victim, continue to read below.
Jokeroo Virus – Encryption Process
There is not much known about the encryption process of the Jokeroo ransomware. There should be a custom extension that the ransomware places on encrypted files. As for the encryption, the Salsa20 encryption algorithm will be used for members who pay for the higher membership. Besides that, it is unknown exactly what other encryption is utilized.
The targeted extensions of files which are sought to get encrypted are also a mystery and if a list is discovered, it will be posted here as the article gets updated. The files used most by users and which will most probably get encrypted should be from the following categories:
- Document files
- Audio files
- Video files
- Image files
- Backup files
- Banking credentials and data
The Jokeroo cryptovirus might be set to erase all the Shadow Volume Copies from the Windows operating system with the help of the following command:
→vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all /Quiet
If the above-stated command is executed that will make the encryption process more efficient. That is due to the fact that the command eliminates one of the prominent ways to restore your data. If your computer device was infected with this ransomware and your files are locked, read on through to find out how you could potentially recover your files.
Remove Jokeroo Virus and Restore Encrypted Files
If your computer got infected with the Jokeroo ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.