What Is Konni Trojan
Konni Trojan is one of the advanced malware which has been used in hacker attacks, the first versions of it were detected back in 2014. Different hacking groups have created their own versions of it. It can not only overtake control of the computers, but also hijack user data and commit dangerous actions on the hosts.
Konni Trojan Summary
|Short Description||Aims to steal data from your computer and run different malware actions.|
|Symptoms||Your computer may behave strangely and new files may be dropped in several Windows Directories.|
|Distribution Method||Common infection methods including phishing messages and malware-infected files.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Konni Trojan.|
Konni Trojan – Virus Infection Methods
The Konni Trojan is a one of the old malware strains which are well-known to the security community. Over the years different hacking groups have used it in their campaigns with their own configuration. This particular virus has been known at least since 2014 and throughout its development it has been delivered mostly through payload carriers and SPAM messages. The newest hacking attempts which are related to this malware are being spread in phishing messages in this latest August 2020 attack.
There are several main methods which are used to deliver the Konni Trojan to its target victims:
- Email Messages — The criminals will devise email messages that are to be sent in bulk to the target victims. The hackers will create fake notifications that will appear as being sent by well-known companies or services. As a result the visitors can be delivered with the virus directly or have it linked in the contents or attached in the message.
- Hacker-Created Sites — They are created to fake portals and landing pages of famous companies and services. To coerce the visitors into interacting with this content the sites will be hosted on similar sounding domain names, incorporate self-signed security certificates and stolen design and contents.
- Security Exploits — Another strategy which is widespread among computer hackers is the direct automatic security bugs exploiting. This is usually done by targeting common weaknesses in services and applications. A network scan with the required configuration is run in order to find vulnerable hosts and exploit them.
We remind our readers that due to the fact that the Trojan is being used by various hacking groups around the world there may be different distribution techniques used with each of them. Many similar threats use the payload delivery technique wherein the virus code is inserted in carrier files which are frequently downloaded and run from the Internet. The most common variants are macro-infected documents (including all common Office formats) and application installers of common software. All of them can be easily delivered to file-sharing networks like BitTorrent and download portals, as well as communities like forums, chat rooms and social networks.
Konni Trojan – Virus Capabilities
Apart from the main Trojan module which is used to establish a secure and persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server and allow the criminals to take over control of the machines and steal files. The newest update of the Konni Trojan adds in a multitude of new features:
- Keylogger — This module will record all keystrokes entered by the users, as well as steal files, capture screenshots and acquire data from the installed web browsers. This is done by accessing the applications data, namely the bookmarks, history, cache and even stored passwords.
- Information Gathering — The virus engine can also be programmed to steal users data and system related data.
- This can include the creation of a detailed report of the installed hardware components and unique operating system variables. As a result of the interaction with another process this can produce a unique ID which can be used to identify each individual host.
- Application Changes — The virus engine can also modify the settings of the installed software, particularly web browsers. This can be used to change the default settings and redirect to hacker-created pages or phishing forms.
At the moment the Konni Trojan is seen as primarily a Trojan for espionage and sabotage purposes. It is expected that forthcoming versions will be developed adding in even more features.
Konni Trojan – Virus Removal GUIDE
In order to fully remove this infection from your computer system, recommendations are to try the automatic removal guidelines below. They are particularly created in order to assist you separate this malware first of all and after that remove it’s destructive files. If you lack the experience in malware removal, the best method and most reliable one according to safety professionals is to use an innovative anti-malware software program. Such will not just immediately get rid of the Konni infection from your computer system, yet will certainly additionally ensure that your computer system remains shielded versus future infections.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Konni Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Konni Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Konni Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Konni Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Konni Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Konni Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Konni Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Konni Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Konni Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall Konni Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Konni Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Konni Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Konni Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Konni Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Konni Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Konni Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Konni Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Konni Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Konni Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Konni Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate Konni Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.