The article will aid you remove BitPaymer virus totally. Follow the ransomware removal instructions given at the end of this article.
BitPaymer is the name of a cryptovirus that seems to be aimed mainly at corporations and big firms. The ransomware is coded to put the extension .locked to all files after the encryption process is finished along with a text document containing the ransom note instructions for each encrypted file. The BitPaymer virus demands for you to pay the ransom sum of 50 BitCoin while posing an empty threat that your files will get leaked on the Web. Continue reading below to see how you could try to potentially restore some of your files.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts files on your computer and displays a ransom message afterward.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files and put the extension .locked to them after it finishes its encryption process.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by BitPaymer |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss BitPaymer.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
BitPaymer Virus – Infection Distribution
BitPaymer ransomware could distribute its infection via various methods. A payload dropper which initiates the malicious script for this ransomware is being spread around the World Wide Web, and researchers have gotten their hands on a malware sample. If that file lands on your computer system and you somehow execute it – your computer will become infected. You can see the detections of such a file on the VirusTotal service down below:
BitPaymer ransomware might also distribute its payload file on social media sites and services for file-sharing. Freeware which is found on the Web can be presented as helpful. Also, it could be hiding the malicious script for this cryptovirus. Don’t be opening files right after you have downloaded them. You should first scan them with a security tool, while also checking their size and signatures for anything that seems suspicious. You should read the tips for preventing ransomware found in our forum section.
BitPaymer Virus – Detailed Analysis
BitPaymer is a virus that could encrypt your files and extort you to pay a ransom to get them back to their original state. Malware researchers have discovered multiple malware samples of the virus and noted that the virus is also called “WPEncrypt”.
BitPaymer ransomware might make entries in the Windows Registry to achieve persistence, and could launch or repress processes in a Windows environment. Such entries are typically designed in a way to launch the virus automatically with each start of the Windows operating system.
The ransom note message that is placed in your computer after encryption and copied for every encrypted file can be seen in the below screenshot:
That ransom note is inside a file called .readme_txt and reads the following:
YOUR COMPANY HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY PENETRATED!
All files are encrypted. We accept only bitcoins to share the decryption software for your network.
Also, we have gathered all your private sensitive data.
So if you decide not to pay anytime soon, we would share with media’s.
It may harm your business reputation and the company’s capitalization fell sharply.
Do not try to do it with 3rd-parties programs, files might be damaged then.
Decrypting of your files is only possible with the special decryption software.
To receive your private key and the decryption software please follow the link (using tor2web service):
If this address is not available, follow these steps:
1. Download and install Tor Browser: https://www.torproject.org/proiects/torbrowser.html.en
2. After a successful installation, run the browser and wait for in tialization.
3. Type in the address bar: http://qmnmrba4s4a3py6z.onion/order/43e4593a-5dc7-11e7-8803-00163e417ea3
4. Follow the instructions on the site
5. This link is valid for 72 hours only. Afetr that period your local data would be lost completely.
6. Any questions: [email protected]
The ransom note is sending you to the BitPaymer’s payment page hosted on the TOR network and that page can be seen from the images below:
BitPaymer’s payment page displayed in the above images states the following:
Welcome to the ransom page!
To get the decryption software and the private key for every single infected computer in your network please follow the on-screen instructions on how to buy and send the Bitcoin’s:
1. Please register a Bitcoin wallet. Here are the options:
– Blockchain Online Wallet (the easiest way)
– Other options (for advanced users)
– Send via Bitcoin exchanger directly to the ransom wallet.
2. To buy the Bitcoins please use either of options below:
– localBitcoins.com Buy Bitcoins with Western Union and several alternative methods.
– btc-e.com Western Union, Cash, Bank Wire, etc.
– coincafe.com Recommended for fast, simple service.
– coinbase.com Western Union, Bank of America, Cash by FedEx, Moneygram, Money Order. In NYC: Bitcoin ATM, in person.
– localBitcoins.com Service allows you to search for people in your community willing to sell Bitcoins to you directly.
– cex.io Buy Bitcoins with VISA/MASTERCARD or wire transfer.
– btcdirect.eu The best for Europe.
– bitquick.co Buy Bitcoins instantly for cash.
– howtobuyBitcoins.info An international directory of Bitcoin exchanges.
– cashintocoins.com Bitcoin for cash.
– coinjar.com CoinJar allows direct Bitcoin purchases on their site.
3. Get bitcoin wallet for payment (bitcoin address valid for 12 hours, if 12 hours passed please get the new wallet)
4. Send 50 BTC to the bitcoin address
15G6YvWH9hFp6BetJdVs4xgsx2wyimcHc1 (must be sent in 1 transaction!)
Please note that we require 3 Bitcoin transaction confirmations.
– To view the current status of your transaction please follow the link: https://blockchain.info/address/15G6YvWH9hFp6BetJdVs4xgsx2wyimcHc1
– Once the transaction passed 3 confirmations please refresh the page and you will be granted to download the decryption software
– If something goes wrong please contact us via email: [email protected]
– We can decrypt 2-3 non-important light-weight files before you pay, send’em to email: [email protected]
4. Please be advised that the ransom amount may be raised after 48 hours since your first visit if no payment received. In 7 days this link would be deleted, so all your information could be lost.
Your company is secure enough, but we may tell you what is wrong after payment being processed. Good Luck!
The note of the BitPaymer ransomware states that your files are encrypted. If you want to get them back, the ransomware threatens that you have to pay up the ransom sum of 50 Bitcoin or not only will you lose them, but they will be leaked on the Internet. That seems like a typical Doxware, but the payment page doesn’t get deleted after the promised time, so the criminals just want the payment, meaning it is a fake doxware.
You should NOT under any circumstances pay the ransom. Not only it is huge as a sum, but for a lot less you might find a solution to recover your files. If you pay, your files may not get restored, and nobody could give you a guarantee for that. Furthermore, giving money to cybercriminals is like supporting them and could likely motivate them to create more ransomware viruses and do similar criminal acts.
BitPaymer Virus – Encryption Process
The BitPaymer cryptovirus encrypts various files, but mainly files which have the following extensions:
→.bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .pdf, .mp3
Every single file that gets encrypted will receive an extension appended to it, which is .locked. That would be placed as a secondary extension and the ransomware won’t change the original file name and extension of files which it encrypts. The encryption algorithm is unknown for the time being.
The BitPaymer cryptovirus could be set to erase all the Shadow Volume Copies from the Windows operating system with the help of the following command:
→vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all /Quiet
In case the command stated above is executed that would make the encryption process more efficient as it will eliminate one of the ways for restoring your data. If your computer device was infected with this ransomware and your files are locked, read on through to find out how you could potentially restore your files.
Remove BitPaymer Virus and Restore .Locked Files
If your computer got infected with the BitPaymer ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.